Draft Poll

Draft Poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Who will people be dying to come up and get though? Probably not the guys we're targeting. Maybe Connor Williams or Mike McGlinchey? The QBs will be gone.
Who knows?

Maybe someone gets desperate for a QB and they trade up for Lamar Jackson who is rumored to be a lock to go in the 1st now. Perhaps a CB like Jaire Alexander or Josh Jackson, maybe a RB like Guice.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vander Esch was also the MWC DPOY, and Payne's game against Georgia wasn't just monstrous, it was like a damn highlight reel. His ability to rush the passer is more potential than production, although he is much quicker off the ball than I expected, but he is ready-made to dominate against the run and is certainly much more than just potential in that regard.

I've been saying for a while now though that trading down would be our best bet if we can do it, there are a bunch of guys I'd be happy with at 19 but none that I truly love. If we can pop down about 8-10 spots and grab an extra Day 2 pick I'd be very happy.
I disagree on Payne. I saw almost no penetration with him and I think his power get overrated. I think he ends up a mediocre starting NFL NT. Just very overrated. Watch game film of the guy. It's not impressive at all. Hell most of the tackles he made were 5 yards down field. I'd rather Senat actually. Sometimes guys being ranked high make me scratch my head. That's how I feel on Payne. No idea why he is a first rounder.

I'm with you now on Vander Esch. I actually think he gets knocked unnecessarily. Was an absolute star last year.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I disagree on Payne. I saw almost no penetration with him and I think his power get overrated. I think he ends up a mediocre starting NFL NT. Just very overrated. Watch game film of the guy. It's not impressive at all. Hell most of the tackles he made were 5 yards down field. I'd rather Senat actually. Sometimes guys being ranked high make me scratch my head. That's how I feel on Payne. No idea why he is a first rounder.

I'm with you now on Vander Esch. I actually think he gets knocked unnecessarily. Was an absolute star last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELTFWbNjl38

This guy does a pretty fair analysis of Vander Esch. Made me cool a bit on him. I do think his problems are something he can grow out of given his youth. However, he's not the total stud his stats might have you believe.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

I watched Payne vs. Clemson, Georgia and I believe Tennessee. I don't think he'll ever be a great interior pass-rusher and I certainly don't think he's a guy you want as your best 3-T, but he is clearly excellent against the run and I have seen flashes of an excellent first step where he gets off the snap much quicker than his teammates. He also shows good hand use/counter moves with effective swim and rip moves, he just doesn't do it consistently.

To me he's clearly a 1-T who can possibly grow into giving you some pass-rush out of that position, similar to Vea. Vea has a higher ceiling but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they end up playing very similar roles and being fairly similar caliber of players.

I mean, I'm not going to delude myself into thinking he's a 3-T like the Cowboys might try to sell us if they take him, but everybody here is on board with drafting a high caliber 1-T who can stuff the run and that's what Payne is. Could we get a guy like BJ Hill, Settle or Nnadi on Day 2?

Perhaps, and I'd probably prefer that even, but I also recognize that Payne can bring a very similar impact to what people envision Vea bringing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELTFWbNjl38

This guy does a pretty fair analysis of Vander Esch. Made me cool a bit on him. I do think his problems are something he can grow out of given his youth. However, he's not the total stud his stats might have you believe.
I feel like that video is a little nit picky. I mean the guy is literally taking on a block and part of a tackle and the guy is complaining that Vander Esch didn't take on the blocker better. Or a play where Vander Esch is filling the hole that he is supposed to and the RB bounced it outside and scored. That's not the LBer's fault.

The video didn't really get me down on him at all. Frankly that's stuff you'd see with any elite LBer. I will say there are some technique things he could change to be even better though. He isn't soft but he needs to use his hands more. I don't like how he initiates contact with his shoulder and not his arms. It's a technique thing that could definitely get corrected though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
To me he's clearly a 1-T who can possibly grow into giving you some pass-rush out of that position, similar to Vea. Vea has a higher ceiling but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they end up playing very similar roles and being fairly similar caliber of players.
Payne dances way too much. Drives me nuts watching the guy because on pass plays he will sit there and play patty cake at the line of scrimmage instead of getting up field and making a play. And maybe that's just a result of the 2 gap stuff that Alabama does. But it's brutal to watch and shows off no ability. I feel like people are assuming if the guy can do it in a couple of games he can always do it. But I've got a whole season of video that tells me he can't. It's crazy to me think of him as a first round pick. I don't even like him as a great 1 technique. I'm not going to say outright I think he will be a bust but I don't think his name is going to be up there with any top DT's in the NFL. I'm guessing he is a guy who bounces around the NFL.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I feel like that video is a little nit picky. I mean the guy is literally taking on a block and part of a tackle and the guy is complaining that Vander Esch didn't take on the blocker better. Or a play where Vander Esch is filling the hole that he is supposed to and the RB bounced it outside and scored. That's not the LBer's fault.

The video didn't really get me down on him at all. Frankly that's stuff you'd see with any elite LBer. I will say there are some technique things he could change to be even better though. He isn't soft but he needs to use his hands more. I don't like how he initiates contact with his shoulder and not his arms. It's a technique thing that could definitely get corrected though.
I think that's right. I like the player for us.

Top Bottom