QB Controversy Thread...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You forget how prone Romo is to having a stinker. He had an amazing 2014 season but check the 49ers game, Redskins game and first Philly game where Romo pulled out total stinkers. I love Romo but he is just prone to having a game like that every once in awhile. No way in hell he goes 10 games straight without a stinker.
And there it is. The real reason. Romo had back issues in all three games.

That issue is irrelevant now. There won't be a short week or forced play through broken bones.

The supporting cast is better than it was. The WR's have improved. The OL has improved. The RB position is more dynamic, faster, and deeper. And the backup QB has improved. A lot.

This explains why you've fought so hard for Dak... you really believe Romo is going to melt down.

townsend

Banned
And has shown a history of really "uneven " games. Dak has thrown 2 INTs to 14 TDs. Romo has never even been able to sniff that percentage. And, you are really starting to fucking piss me off saying stupid shit like this. It causes me to look like I hate Romo, and I don't.
Actually in his last 9 games in 2014, Romo threw 19 TDs and 3 int. Two coming off that horrid Philly game where his back wasn't "right"

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The supporting cast is better than it was. The WR's have improved. The OL has improved. The RB position is more dynamic, faster, and deeper. And the backup QB has improved. A lot.
I've seen you say this before. But I have no idea why you think all of this is better then 2014. Murray put up the best season ever for a Cowboys runningback. Back in 2014 Tyron Smith wasn't missing games and playing with a bum back. We didn't have Dez Bryant missing multiple games. Those are 3 all timers are their position that were way better in 2014.

I love this Cowboys offense but Daks done it with Beasley being the best WR on the roster most of the season. And Elliott is amazing but so was Murray. And frankly this offensive line has actually had to deal with some injuries.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This explains why you've fought so hard for Dak... you really believe Romo is going to melt down.
I have no idea why you suggest that I have some agenda against Romo. I've always supported the guy. Still do. But Dak is doing amazing things. Hoping Romo plays at his absolute best so that he can match what Dak is doing just seems silly. Best case scenario is that Romo does what Dak is already doing. Obviously worst case is that Romo plays worse.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Should have? He hasn't been healthy enough to even be active yet. So either you think he should start against the Ravens or not.
I believe he was healthy for the Pittsburgh game, and maybe Cleveland. I'd have played him against Pittsburgh and started him the rest of the year barring injury or ineffectiveness.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I've seen you say this before. But I have no idea why you think all of this is better then 2014. Murray put up the best season ever for a Cowboys runningback. Back in 2014 Tyron Smith wasn't missing games and playing with a bum back. We didn't have Dez Bryant missing multiple games. Those are 3 all timers are their position that were way better in 2014.

I love this Cowboys offense but Daks done it with Beasley being the best WR on the roster most of the season. And Elliott is amazing but so was Murray. And frankly this offensive line has actually had to deal with some injuries.
When role players consistently step up like they have on this team it makes everyone better. Beasley's improvement has been huge. Whatever Murray did statistically I put Zeke and Morris over any day. Everyone remembers Murray slowing down towards the end of the year. It's only natural.

This team has depth. They lost their starting LG and actually improved. When Tyron went out, Green stepped up. That performance by the backups makes everyone else better. And we didn't have anyone filling Butler's role on that team.

I will say that Romo's fragile back hurt that 2014 team. But it can't hurt this one, even if he starts. Again, insane depth.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe he was healthy for the Pittsburgh game, and maybe Cleveland. I'd have played him against Pittsburgh and started him the rest of the year barring injury or ineffectiveness.
Well he wasn't cleared by the doctors for the Cleveland game. Pittsburgh he was healthy for but I think after sitting out for almost a year and half he probably needed a week to sort of just get back up to speed. But yeah, I think he probably could have been active against Pitt.

Anyway I'm glad Romo sort of shutdown the QB controversy and now we can all go back to winning games. No one should have a QB controversy with the best record in football.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
:ballerina

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if Romo could go to Denver or Arizona next year.
I think Denver is going to be it. I just look at them and I see a defense ready to win now and a QB who isn't. Siemian and his 85 QB rating is going to tire that coaching staff. Especially with all the talent they have a WR. They are a team that makes sense in going all in on a older QB like Romo. And the bonus is they had great success with adding an elderly QB in very recent history.

Cards would make sense too though.

Genghis Khan

I wonder if Romo could go to Denver or Arizona next year.
I don't see Denver. Why would he want to go there, with lynch waiting in the wings? I can't see Romo wanting to go somewhere where he is risking being in the exact same situation as here.

If you're talking trade, Denver has been stingy giving up draft picks. And I don't think we'd trade Romo somewhere he doesn't want to be.

Hell, Romo originally picked Dallas based on the QB situation and his ability to get on the field. I don't see why he'd approach it any differently now.

Houston might be a possibility.

townsend

Banned
I don't see Denver. Why would he want to go there, with lynch waiting in the wings? I can't see Romo wanting to go somewhere where he is risking being in the exact same situation as here.

If you're talking trade, Denver has been stingy giving up draft picks. And I don't think we'd trade Romo somewhere he doesn't want to be.

Hell, Romo originally picked Dallas based on the QB situation and his ability to get on the field. I don't see why he'd approach it any differently now.

Houston might be a possibility.
Houston just paid a mint for Osweiler.

Speaking of Osweiler, Elway signed Manning right after drafting Osweiler, so the move's precedented.

I think anywhere Romo would be an unchallenged starter is a place he wouldn't want to play. Anywhere he can "win now" he'd have to compete for the job, which is all he wants.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I could picture Arizona before Denver. Especially if Palmer hangs up his cleats.

Genghis Khan

Houston just paid a mint for Osweiler.

Speaking of Osweiler, Elway signed Manning right after drafting Osweiler, so the move's precedented.

I think anywhere Romo would be an unchallenged starter is a place he wouldn't want to play. Anywhere he can "win now" he'd have to compete for the job, which is all he wants.
Osweiller was a third rounder or whatever. Denver sacrificed three picks for Lynch.

And osweiller sucks big time. Houston will move on at some point. A real QB would make them dangerous.

Genghis Khan

I guess it was two picks for lynch? Regardless, it's not a situation I envision Romo seeing as desirable. Might as well stay here.

townsend

Banned
I guess it was two picks for lynch? Regardless, it's not a situation I envision Romo seeing as desirable. Might as well stay here.
Lynch didn't even beat out Seimien for the starting spot. So I think it's fair to say Romo has a better shot competing over there.

Genghis Khan

Lynch didn't even beat out Seimien for the starting spot. So I think it's fair to say Romo has a better shot competing over there.
It's not about 2017 I don't think, it's about the next two or three years. Romo will want somewhere he can start for the next few years til he retires. He's not going to want to get hurt and miss time and not get his job back again. He's not going to want to go somewhere just to play out 2017 then get benched because the front office is getting anxious that their first round QB is sitting for three years.

From Romo's perspective, I don't see Denver as very attractive.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's not about 2017 I don't think, it's about the next two or three years. Romo will want somewhere he can start for the next few years til he retires. He's not going to want to get hurt and miss time and not get his job back again. He's not going to want to go somewhere just to play out 2017 then get benched because the front office is getting anxious that their first round QB is sitting for three years.

He will get more support in Dallas than anywhere in my opinion.

townsend

Banned

I guess it depends on whether he thinks he has more than a couple years left. Denver's also one of the few teams that have an OL that can keep him upright. You gotta admit, Denver would definitely be Romo's best shot to ever start in a SB.

Top Bottom