Jaylon Smith ???

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And he might not this year. Hell he could come back this season and still not do anything. He is a rookie who hasn't played a down in the NFL. Expecting him to jump in there after a serious injury and be any sort of an impact player this season is probably wishful thinking.

If you don't think he'll ever do shit, well then you really are a DFDC
He might be fine for next season.

But I just don't see any evidence he will be able to get to the field in a meaningful way this year.

And that's fine.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He might be fine for next season.

But I just don't see any evidence he will be able to get to the field in a meaningful way this year.

And that's fine.
I agree. I think the most you can really hope for this year is that he could play special teams at an elite level. Which is really just simply run and tackle someone. Anything more advanced then that I'd have a hard time believing he is ready to do. Maybe in the playoffs or something. But at that point you hate to risk a rookie who hasn't played all year to make a dumb mistake.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
It would probably be smart to give him a redshirt year.

Then he and Tapper come back next year. Like extra draft picks baby!!

Hopefully Jackson takes Dunbar's place and Rico can develop into something.

All timer draft.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It has been mentioned that the nerve is firing and that he has been able to do stuff without the brace.

So there's that?
There is no confirmation that the nerve is firing. CRock is only referencing an interview where Jaylon commented on "Is the nerve firing?" with "Yeah, I'll let the coaches (or whatever) comment on that". He didn't even get close to confirming it was firing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no confirmation that the nerve is firing. CRock is only referencing an interview where Jaylon commented on "Is the nerve firing?" with "Yeah, I'll let the coaches (or whatever) comment on that". He didn't even get close to confirming it was firing.
Not exactly here is what was said:

Are you able to do things from the nerve perspective that you weren't able to do when they drafted you?

"A lot more, a lot more, which transfers to the field. Which is why I'm able to do cords and ladders. Different types of things that I wasn't previously able to do"

Have you had Xrays, MRI I mean is the nerve firing?

"YES, we actually go through a protocol, you can discuss with Britt and Dr. Cooper they can give you more information on it. All is well. Definitely in the up."

So I guess you can interpret that for yourself as that is the exact quote.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also if you're curious about an opinion on Jaylon Smith's injury that doesn't come from Jerry Jones there is this:

What's Brandt heard on Jaylon Smith's return from injury?

Barry Horn: Did Jaylon [Smith] give you any insight into his knee [when they had dinner together recently]?

Gil Brandt: He's feeling good. I think that he could come back later on this season, maybe the 13th-14th game of the season. Now he's doing everything. He tells me he's cutting on it and so forth.

And we got a picture up on my Twitter account (above) and I look like I'm a little guy compared to him. He is a big guy that can run fast and is highly productive at Notre Dame. He might have been the best Notre Dame linebacker that they ever had there. I think coming out of the draft last year if he'd been healthy he'd been a pick in the top 5.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The nerve may be firing but I dont see anything that factually confirms it. I hope it is but you would think someone was just up front state yes or no.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
did anyone seriously expect him to play any important role this season? If I remember correctly, one of the draft experts said something along the lines of "he may come back next season, he may come back when he's 28 - but when he does he will go down as great value in the 2nd round"

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If he was 100% we'd know by now because Jerry would be crowing about it, no reason to rush him back without any training camp, preseason or OTA's if he's only about 80%.

Just accept the fact that we used what amounts to a 1st round pick on a high risk/high reward player who won't play as a rookie and move on.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That's not what I was referring too.

There have other little tidbits and actions that point to the nerve firing.

I also never said it was definite or confirmed just pointing out the news has been mixed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's not what I was referring too.

There have other little tidbits and actions that point to the nerve firing.

I also never said it was definite or confirmed just pointing out the news has been mixed.
What tidbits? That crap from Brandt?

Dude barely remembers what he ate for breakfast this morning.

Cotton

Staff member
What tidbits? That crap from Brandt?

Dude barely remembers what he ate for breakfast this morning.
Yeah, I haven't seen anything, either, other than Brandt.

Cotton

Staff member
I have seen stuff from Smith on Twitter. #blessed and other crap. Doesn't mean anything.
Yep. He appears to just be very religious. Those didn't have anything to do with his nerve firing or not.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I don't know why you guys are wasting your time trying to decode tweets and comments from beat writers and players.

The Cowboys aren't a buttoned up organization like the Patriots.

If there were any significant improvements Jerry would have announced it by now. The fact that the eternal optimist has been mum on the subject lets me know that Smith still has a long way to go before he sees the playing field.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If there were any significant improvements Jerry would have announced it by now. The fact that the eternal optimist has been mum on the subject lets me know that Smith still has a long way to go before he sees the playing field.
We've been mum on basically every injury this year. It shouldn't surprise you that they are mum on this one. Everyone here seems to just assume the worst. But nothing from Smith has indicated that at all. If it wasn't going well I doubt he would be so upbeat about everything.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
According to The Break he's still walking with the brace, and as long as he continues to wear that he won't be able to play or contribute.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to The Break he's still walking with the brace, and as long as he continues to wear that he won't be able to play or contribute.
If he didn't need the brace we would be talking about him beimg activated right now.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
If he didn't need the brace we would be talking about him beimg activated right now.
True, but the fact that he still can't walk without us tells us everything we need to know about his progress thus far. It won't be this year, and there's no telling when, or if, in 2017 that he'll he ready to go.

Top Bottom