DeMarcus Ware No. 12 on NFL's top 100

Carp

DCC 4Life
June, 21, 2013
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

DeMarcus Ware, coming off an injury-plagued off year by his lofty standards, still has immense respect from his peers.

Ware was announced as No. 12 on the NFL Network’s 2013 top 100 list, which is voted on by the league’s players. That returns Ware to his 2011 ranking after he jumped up to No. 6 last season.

Ware was selected to his seventh consecutive Pro Bowl last season, when he had 11.5 sacks despite various health issues that included a right shoulder that required postseason surgery and a significant injury to his elbow on the same arm.

It was also Ware’s seventh consecutive double-digit sack season, although it was a significant drop from the 19.5 sacks he posted in 2012.

The 30-year-old Ware, who is good against the run and an all-time great pass rusher, already ranks 19th in NFL history with 111 sacks. Reggie White is the only player who was faster to 100 sacks.

Ware was one of three Cowboys to make this year’s top 100 cut. The list:

No. 12 DeMarcus Ware
No. 35 Dez Bryant
No. 41 Jason Witten

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
DeMarcus Ware No. 12 on NFL top players list; Warren Sapp: Ware needs to be a ‘more demonstrative’ leader

By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
jmachota@dallasnews.com
2:11 am on June 21, 2013 |

DeMarcus Ware dropped six spots in this year’s list of top 100 NFL players.

On Thursday, the Dallas Cowboys defensive end was revealed at No. 12 during the NFL Network’s show, the same ranking he had in 2011.

During Ware’s video highlight clip, Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett called Ware a “genetic mutant” that opponents can’t do anything about.

Minnesota Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway said, “I think the best pure pass rusher would have to be DeMarcus Ware. Ten, 12, 14 sacks, he’s legitimate every year.”

Ware, a seven-time Pro Bowler, finished with a team-high 11.5 sacks in 2012, making it seven consecutive seasons with a double-digit sack total.

During the hour-long show to discuss players 11-20 on the list, it was mentioned that Ware has fallen behind Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt, the 2012 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, as the best pass rusher in the state of Texas.

Hall of Fame defensive tackle Warren Sapp quickly came to Ware’s defense.

“Let’s not be so quick to anoint J.J. Watt the best pass rusher in the state of Texas just yet,” Sapp said. “When you get to triple digits [in sacks] … and they’re still getting double digits every year, I’m going to wait until he is thrown off the throne and not just dethroned. J.J. Watt’s good but he’s no DeMarcus Ware going after the quarterback, yet.”

Former Super Bowl champion and two-time league MVP Kurt Warner then mentioned that some believe Watt is a better all-around player than Ware.

“Now, DeMarcus is an unbelievable pass rusher,” Warner said, “but I think one of the knocks on him has always been: Is he a complete player? Does he do everything well?”

Sapp said he could see that point and added that Ware needs to show more leadership on the field.

“The most important question for me with Ware is leading this ballclub,” Sapp said. “I want to see him more demonstrative, more ‘Fellas! We’re going this way. And you’re going behind me.’ That’s my biggest question I have for him is his leadership ability.

“Sometimes, you got to grab the bull by the horns, and I don’t think he’s done that in Dallas.”

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
I'm sure at age 30 Ware will start yelling and peeing on steering wheels like Charles Haley.

Top Bottom