Sturm: Cowboys Draft Digest: Volume 8 – Offensive Line

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys Draft Digest: Volume 8 – Offensive Line

By Bob Sturm 8h ago

Each week during the buildup to the NFL Draft, we will take a look at around five prospects at a given position. The hope is to cover all of the potential candidates at what we perceive as the Cowboys' positions of greatest need in Rounds 1-3, using about 200 snaps of the most recent college tape from each of the prospects. I am certainly not an NFL scout, but I have found over the years that much can be learned from giving each player a couple hours and really studying how he might fit at the next level. With a little luck, we will be plenty familiar with the options when the draft arrives in late April.

Today, let's get familiar with the very best of the offensive linemen. This is considered a decent group at the top, but one that is primarily made up of interior players – guards and centers – rather than the most desirable linemen – the tackles.
I have certainly argued plenty over the years – and even a few weeks ago – that taking a guard or center too high in the draft is not always the wise play for a number of reasons (salary cap, positional scarcity), but there are certain players that supersede most generalizations. There definitely appears to be at least one in this year's class.

Each NFL franchise has a historical profile about the way they draft. Over this process, we have looked at several Cowboys tendencies. They don't draft Quarterbacks, they have always loved defensive ends near the top of their draft, they seldom invest in wide receivers, and if any team seems to know what they are doing when they fall in love with an offensive lineman, these Cowboys have that magic formula.

Allow me to prove a point that likely does not require proving. Since 2011, NFL teams have selected 42 first-round offensive linemen. Of those 42, 33 were between 2011-2015, which would offer a large enough look at a player's career. If they were taken in 2016 or beyond, we should allow them a bit more time to develop before declaring success or failure.

Of those 33 players, you could easily argue that the Cowboys have comfortably selected three of the best five in that entire group. Below is the list of the top ten big fellas. We sorted by CarAV (Pro Football Reference's career approximate value) since comparing offensive linemen is problematic unless you are willing to spend hours breaking down each one. This is their attempt to put a value on a player's season – and then his career – so we can compare accomplishments. It heavily weighs time served, so a guy like Zack Martin (6th place) is much better than that, but he is being compared to players who have played twice as many seasons and therefore just needs to play longer. But, on a per-year basis, you can see that he is possibly the best player on the board.

Once you factor in “seasons played” and sort by AP1 (1st team All-Pro), Pro Bowls, or simply league reputation, you can safely suggest that of the 42 offensive linemen taken, Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, and Zack Martin are the gold standard haul of any team in football – by a healthy margin. Several other teams have invested three first round picks in OL since 2011 (Detroit, Miami, Tennessee), but none of them have approached the same yield as the Cowboys in player quality.

“Investing in your offensive line” is only part of the recipe. You also have to take the right players at the right spot. A team can pick an offensive lineman in the first round, but if they end up with Ereck Flowers and Justin Pugh, the exercise was a futile one.

So when I hear the Cowboys are looking closely at taking another guard in the first round, while it frightens me that they wanted to address their strengths (rather than the multiple weaknesses), I must concede the Cowboys generally know what they are doing when they target offensive linemen early in the draft.

And this 2018 group below definitely has some fine quality. Let's start at the very top:

Quenton Nelson — Notre Dame — 6-5 — 325

Positives: Nelson is one of the most complete college guards I can recall in some time. He's an overpowering mauler who takes the fight and will out of his opponent with destructive, bulldozer-like force. He has quick feet and just toys with opponents. His movement skills are something to behold and his ability to finish plays with authority is just as impressive, as you will see. Powerful hands (paws) quickly latch on to defenders, and then it is over. He has an initial pop that knocks guys back and stonewalls any pass-rush ideas that will head in his direction. He is also an incredibly bright player who is able to diagnose blitzes and troublesome situations, at which point he often clean them up himself. His size and power leave very few concerns at all.

Nelson, LG #56, spots the opposite edge blitz and picks it up with authority.

Concerns: We are really stretching to say there are any concerns, so instead of fretting about this freak of nature's footwork, here is a bonus gif where he seems to demonstrate a nasty personality and his disrespectful slam of LSU's #4.

This is a bonus gif choke slam that you should just enjoy.

Overall: I realize the NFL draft process has sold us a “bill of goods” on several guards. The last two taken in the top ten were Jonathan Cooper and Chance Warmack and neither are success stories. But Nelson is something else. He is the top prospect in the draft according to more than a few draft people, and while I am always skeptical about players at non-premium positions, I concede that nearly all of this guy's tape is flawless and much of it is draw-dropping. He is the real deal. FIRST ROUND is an understatement.

Nelson finishes every single block and seems more interested in demoralizing his opponent than the whistle.

Isaiah Wynn — Georgia — 6-2 – 313

Positives: Wynn is a player that really grows on you the more you watch him. He played left tackle for Georgia this year after playing plenty at guard in 2016 and before. Because he is 6'2, he is slated to move inside at the next level, but from the tape I studied, I think he could play tackle. When pass-protecting, Wynn is sternum to sternum on his man in almost every situation, meaning he concedes no edge to attack – a rarity that reveals fantastic feet. He can mirror his man wonderfully which makes me think he is a tackle, despite being a few inches short of the prototype. He has fine strength for a guard and is able to make blocks on the move and straight ahead. He just doesn't lose very often.

Wynn, LT #77, demonstrates wonderful pulling into space ability to get out and clear the path.

Concerns: He doesn't have very many weaknesses to address, but there are times where he whiffs in space against smaller defenders. It is difficult for a big man to get to speed and still hit DBs square-on when running. That is not where he is at his best. He also has very small hands, which would give some scouts pause, but his tape is very nice. He is a smooth athlete who gives you very little to worry about.

Overall: I admittedly get uncomfortable regularly pushing tackles to guard, but Wynn is able to do whatever you need from him. Some of his measurables may make analysts dock him a spot or two, but for me, this is the type of talent that looks very safe. He doesn't have much that makes him a “Youtube” talent with high-end “wow plays”, but he is steady and smooth and appears to carry very little risk. I like him in the FIRST-SECOND ROUND. He'd fit in late in the first.

Wynn, LT #77, is a wonderful run blocker who gets the DE and the LB on wall-off blocks.

Will Hernandez — UTEP — 6-2 – 327

Positives: Usually players this size come with plenty of concerns. 330 is a rare size, and linemen in that range tend to be sloppy. Hernandez has no such issues and is a big, strong, nasty guard who looks like another very appealing prospect. He pulls in space and just dominates defenders in his path. He can short set on pass-protection, get his hands up and end his man's chances of getting involved in the play. He has nice feet and also possesses a real mean streak. His demeanor perfectly fits the blueprint of what teams want in a big-time guard. He also has started all 49 games over 4 years at UTEP.

Hernandez, LG #76, drives through this Army LB and then Hulk Smashes him for fun at end of the play before casually walking away.

Concerns: It might not really be a concern, but I do think Hernandez has a chance to get much better with solid coaching at technique. It seems possible at his level of college football they allowed him to play in his own way because he won so much. He's content to 'catch' rushers rather than delivering a punch, and he also does not get low. When he does, he will get even better.

Overall: Hernandez looks like another very safe guard who should be an effective starter from the moment he shows up. He offers very few concerns and warrants a FIRST-SECOND ROUND grade. I think with a few seasons of NFL coaching, you could make the case he would noticeably improve. He is really impressive.

Hernandez, LG #76, is just too strong for the man across from him and his nasty edge finishes.

Billy Price — Ohio State — 6-3 – 305

Positives: Price played three seasons at guard before moving to center at Ohio State, a school that has sent several centers straight to starting spots in the NFL in recent years. He started 55 consecutive games for the Buckeyes and was touted for his intelligence as well as his ability to diagnose plays, a vital skill for a center. He is also very strong and able to finish plays nicely. When he is right, he is very good and you can definitely see his value is higher as a center than as a guard. He also has a good demeanor, with the nastiness you desire from interior linemen. He is ready for a street fight.

Billy Price (#54) has the leverage strength to wrestle a nose-tackle right to the ground in clearing a path.

Concerns: Price sometimes gets going too fast and misses his guy in open space. He will misfire and lose his balance with poor leverage at times. He occasionally will not always hit all of his shotgun snaps, too, but for the most part, these are not big deals. I do wonder how well he will pass protect when left alone, but you can definitely keep your center from that role with the scheme in many cases.

Overall: I think Price is a step down from Travis Frederick, but still a very solid player with strong run-blocking skills who can hold his own when it comes to technique. He is not without weakness, but in a short space, he is very good. I also am very impressed with how he is able to coordinate the line versus blitzes and make sure his offensive makes the right call. I like him better as a center than a guard, and I can see him being the best center in the draft. Price belongs in the SECOND ROUND for me, but scarcity could move him up.

Price #54 can move one DT and then still get to the LB in carving a hole for his runner.

James Daniels — Iowa — 6-3 – 306

Positives: Daniels is another prospect who has played both at guard and at center, with his 2017, like Price, being all at center for the Iowa Hawkeyes. He is a very young player relative to his peers at 20 years old, so a big part of his value is that his best football is yet to come. He is a player with very strong movement skills and can definitely get to the next level and wall players off. He is an athletic, zone-blocking type who can certainly do his part on inside or outside run plays.

Daniels (#78) is a center that can secure his first man and then get to the second level and block the LB

Concerns: He is not as strong as I would like when he arrives at the scene. I don't want to call him a finesse lineman because that is too harsh, but I like for linebackers to be pushed back when my OL arrives and I didn't see that enough. His technique in pass-protection is straight-up which also causes leverage loss, but again, coaching might develop him nicely. He catches blocks and doesn't possess a punch.

Overall: Basically, this player's value depends on whether you run an offense that wants a punishing group or a zone scheme that gets in the way. Daniels may bridge that gap over to the other side and become a mauler, but if looking at prospects is like choosing your favorite flavor of ice cream, I confess that Daniels is not my cup of tea. I see his tools and his age and would still value a chance to bet on his evolution, but for now, I would put him in that SECOND ROUND grouping for me, but below Price.

Daniels has the feet to get to the 2nd level with his feet and then seal off his side.

Next week, we dive into the very interesting and talented crop of Running Backs.

Top Bottom