NBA Chatter Thread

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Good thing Phil didn't say he was gonna grab anybody by their posse.

The world would have just exploded.

Jiggyfly

Banned
So Phil Jackson uses the word posse and suddenly the world bursts into flames?
It's not the word posse.

It's the fact that 2 off the people he was referring too are legit businessmen who are worth more than Phil.

Posse is used for hanger on's these guys are not that.

Have you actually read what Lebron's reasons for taking offence, or are you just spouting the talking points.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's not the word posse.

It's the fact that 2 off the people he was referring too are legit businessmen who are worth more than Phil.

Posse is used for hanger on's these guys are not that.

Have you actually read what Lebron's reasons for taking offence, or are you just spouting the talking points.
Actually they did straight up say that Jackson used the word to imply young black men. So it had become a race issue.

But I mean, it seems to me this is a sports phenomenon and not one you see in the NHL if you get my drift. I think they are more just offended that someone insulted them, so they decided to make it a race issue because that's all you have to do anymore is cry racism and the media does the rest.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Though to be fair.... hasn't anyone seen entourage? I think it's more of a young male thing than necessarily a young black male thing.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It's this new generation of men.

They wear skinny jeans, women's clothes, and they are super thin-skinned.

Lebron James, Cam Newton, Russell Westbrook, etc.

These guys would not have survived in the spotlight if this were the 80's or 90's.
What the fuck are you talking about?

What does any of that had to do with what Phil said?

Nobody has been under the spotlight more than Lebron and he has handled it with aplomb.

And Ace you know full well what Posse is alluding to it's one step away from thugs and hanger on's If I was Maverick Carter and his agent I would be pissed.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Actually they did straight up say that Jackson used the word to imply young black men. So it had become a race issue.

But I mean, it seems to me this is a sports phenomenon and not one you see in the NHL if you get my drift. I think they are more just offended that someone insulted them, so they decided to make it a race issue because that's all you have to do anymore is cry racism and the media does the rest.
Or it's a word associated with black males and most notably the NBA and the NFL.

And it's usually used negatively.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Though to be fair.... hasn't anyone seen entourage? I think it's more of a young male thing than necessarily a young black male thing.
And notice how the word here is entourage and not posse.

And we are not talking about young men here all of these guys were pushing 30 at the time.

It's getting a little sickening to keep being told what and what not should you be offended about.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
What the fuck are you talking about?

What does any of that had to do with what Phil said?

Nobody has been under the spotlight more than Lebron and he has handled it with aplomb.

And Ace you know full well what Posse is alluding to it's one step away from thugs and hanger on's If I was Maverick Carter and his agent I would be pissed.
You're an imbecile.

What does it have to do with what he said? Uhhh....how about the fact that what he said wasn't bad at all? And my points stands on how these guys nowadays are bunch of whiny faggots who cry over every little thing.

Posse is also largely associated with Western movies and Cowboy gangs, and I don't recall seeing many young black men in those.

What are we gonna say now? That Phil Jackson is racist or was hinting at some type of racial insult? Give me a break.

These guys need to stop being such pussies and stop looking for reasons to be offended by stuff that isn't offensive.

LBJ is and has always been a diva and that's all Phil Jackson was saying.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You do sound worked up.
I am worked up.

I am getting real tired of the chorus weighing in on shit the have no idea about.

This is not out of the blue and if you read what Phil said initially about his "posse" maybe the chorus would understand where this is coming from.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You're an imbecile.

What does it have to do with what he said? Uhhh....how about the fact that what he said wasn't bad at all? And my points stands on how these guys nowadays are bunch of whiny faggots who cry over every little thing.

Posse is also largely associated with Western movies and Cowboy gangs, and I don't recall seeing many young black men in those.

What are we gonna say now? That Phil Jackson is racist or was hinting at some type of racial insult? Give me a break.

These guys need to stop being such pussies and stop looking for reasons to be offended by stuff that isn't offensive.

LBJ is and has always been a diva and that's all Phil Jackson was saying.
Yeah you are not exactly unbiased when it comes to Lebron.

And how the hell is Phil calling somebody out for special treatment when he had Jordan and Rodman on his teams getting special treatment.

If Lebron is a Diva hat the hell were Jordan, Rodman and Pippen?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

:art

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am worked up.

I am getting real tired of the chorus weighing in on shit the have no idea about.

This is not out of the blue and if you read what Phil said initially about his "posse" maybe the chorus would understand where this is coming from.
Actually I read exactly what Phil Jackson said. And in no way was the term posse offensive. He was talking about Lebron making the Heat team stay over night in Cleveland so that he could spend time with his family and posse. If Lebron wants to be pissed, he should be pissed because Jackson was calling him out for being selfish and expecting special treatment. But instead he picked out the term posse and claimed that it's offensive when being used for a group of young black males.

So yeah Jiggy, I actually know what I'm talking about. Not sure you do.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
James and Maverick Carter, his close friend and business partner, both took offense at Jackson’s use of the word. Carter told ESPN.com he was bothered because of the idea that Jackson said it because James and his friends are “young and black, he can use that word.” James said he had lost respect for Jackson as a result of the comments.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
:lol

[MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION]

Did you see this?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think they are more just offended that someone insulted them, so they decided to make it a race issue because that's all you have to do anymore is cry racism and the media does the rest.
Yep.

And for further proof as to how weak minded race baiters will run with it, look at how worked up the reverend Al Jiggton is in here.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Frankly, Phil Jackson has made dumb ass comments his entire career. They often get overlooked because he won 11 titles and is the " zen master".

He is an old guy that holds onto ideals from a bygone era. Shit, look at what he has done with the Knicks...he makes then run an offense from Hoosiers, then fires someone familiar with it in Fisher, to a coach in Hornacek that has no background with it. For him to hamstring every coach he hires with the triangle is ridiculous.

As far as the posse comments...I get it. By referring to them as a posse, you are taking on their credibility. Carter is definitely his buddy, but he haid his dues as an intern with Nike, then coming on fulltime with the company. Paul is another in his posse...and he has a long list of players he represents.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I heard about. He's probably a Drake fan boy at heart.
They're boys, pretty sure most of Durant's response was in jest.

I also don't see anything wrong with calling someone a "posse", I get that it might be slightly disrespectful, but it's also just a word he used in a split second, it's not like it was some carefully crafted speech that he was giving. There's nothing inherent about the term "posse" that has anything to do with race, it's just an old-fashioned term used by an old guy to describe a group of young guys.

Carp

DCC 4Life
They're boys, pretty sure most of Durant's response was in jest.

I also don't see anything wrong with calling someone a "posse", I get that it might be slightly disrespectful, but it's also just a word he used in a split second, it's not like it was some carefully crafted speech that he was giving. There's nothing inherent about the term "posse" that has anything to do with race, it's just an old-fashioned term used by an old guy to describe a group of young guys.
It wasn't a split second thing...he did the same thing in his 2004 book as well. Pointing out that these guys are fetching him girls and cars.

"In the Cleveland game, I was impressed with LeBron James, who has made strides since we played the Cavs during the exhibition season," Jackson wrote. "Yet as talented as this kid definitely appears to be, I don't believe he or any nineteen-year-old should be playing in the NBA. These young men grow so dependent on their posses, who fetch their cars and their girls, that they can't possibly develop into mature self-sufficient human beings. One day, I'm convinced, we'll find out the true extent of the psychological damage that's being caused."

Top Bottom