Hill: Jerry Jones still capable of making splash, says draft is setting up for Cowboys

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones still capable of making splash, says draft is setting up for Cowboys
By Clarence E. Hill Jr.
chill@star-telegram.com

March 28, 2018

Orlando
Jerry Jones knows what you are thinking.

As host of the 2018 NFL Draft, set for April 26-28 at AT&T Stadium, there is no way the attention-hungry, circus-creating, pot-stirring owner of the Dallas Cowboys is going to find a way to make a splash when it comes to his turn with the 19th overall pick.

So Jones says just go with it.

“Well, the rumors of the wildcatter’s demise has certainly been exaggerated,” Jones said with a smile and a wink at the NFL owners meeting. “I’m not going to but I would like to, apart from a couple of player personnels, I’d like to show a few other decisions that I’ve made around here, and they’ve got more hair on them then you’d ever seen. So I will take a chance. Still.”

Jones still has it in him.

And with a cadre of 10 picks, the Cowboys have the selections to trade up to get the player they want.

But Jones believes there is a good chance the Cowboys could stand pat and still get their guy at 19.

With so many teams moving up to get a quarterback and the possibility of several running backs and offensive linemen going high, Jones said the draft is setting up nicely for the Cowboys.

"We are positioned in the way the makeup is if a number of quarterbacks are taken, a number of running backs are taken, two or three or those offensive tackles hit,” Jones said. “Really as much as anything there could be a couple of guards taken ahead of us. And it’s positioned for a situation to drop. … But with what is happening with a little bit of ambiguity on the number of quarterbacks and what we just talked about, there could be an active draft there in the first round."

The Cowboys are likely targeting a receiver, linebacker, defensive lineman or safety in the first round.

Among potential targets are linebackers Roquan Smith, Leighton Vander Esch and Rashaan Evanns; receivers Calvin Ridley and D.J. Moore; safety Derwin James; and defensive tackles Vita Vea, Maurice Hurst, Taven Bryan and Da’Ron Payne.

“They got a lot of receivers in this draft, for instance,” Jones said. “I am not sure how many first-round receivers. But there are down-the-line receivers. That is not bad. That might work. There are certainly some linebackers there. There is some defensive talent that has a chance to drop. Therein lies your opportunity there at positions that you certainly aren’t stacked up in that you might not say is the position you are interested in. ... Obviously, you could see that Dez Bryant dropping to you at the 20th spot.”

Bryant was a top-10 talent who fell to the Cowboys in 2010 because of off-field concerns.

Now the Cowboys could be positioned to land his replacement in Ridley if they get a fortuitous drop in 2018.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
You know, I'm gradually leaning towards Moore these days...but whatevs.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
It’s happening, time to make your peace.
I would lay you money that we won't. I think they undervalue the position. I think we have a better chance of trading Dez for Thomas. Which is a pretty low chance.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trading up for James. Bam.
At least I love the player. I really just hate losing a third in this draft (or more). It's a great spot to snag a WR that drops and we absolutely have to get 3 starters out of most drafts since we do so little in free agency.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know, I'm gradually leaning towards Moore these days...but whatevs.
I wouldn't be upset. He does everything really well. And he high points the ball like a big WR even though he is 6 foot. Of course what's 2 inches compared to Dez?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I would prefer to trade down unless either it's super super cheap to trade up or there's a true impact player at our slot.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
F trading up these days. The cost has gone up too much.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
F trading up these days. The cost has gone up too much.
And there are always talented players left beyond the first round. So do your job and find the talent. Don't trade away picks so that you can go all in on some guy that everyone knows is good. That's lazy to me.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would prefer to trade down unless either it's super super cheap to trade up or there's a true impact player at our slot.
This is pretty much how I feel about this draft.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
boozeman said:
“Well, the rumors of the wildcatter’s demise has certainly been exaggerated,” Jones said with a smile and a wink at the NFL owners meeting. “I’m not going to but I would like to, apart from a couple of player personnels, I’d like to show a few other decisions that I’ve made around here, and they’ve got more hair on them then you’d ever seen. So I will take a chance. Still.”
Reading this makes me want to murder kittens.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't give up a second, but if I could give up a third, or a third and change even, to get up for James, I'm doing it.

Yes, I might be trading away Taco Charlton and Maliek Collins level players, but I could be getting back Darren Woodson.

This defense isn't really in rebuild mode. A dynamic safety plus a second round linebacker like Jewell, Carter, or Leonard.... or even a Van der Esch or Evans who falls.... yikes that will be a top defense.

Charlton/Crawford
Collins/Ash
Irving/Crawford
Lawrence/Tapper/Gregory

Lee
Leonard
Smith

Awuzie/Brown
James
Woods/Heath/Frazier
Jones/Lewis

Very nice defense. Young and talented for years to come.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't give up a second, but if I could give up a third, or a third and change even, to get up for James, I'm doing it.

Yes, I might be trading Taco Charlton and Maliek Collins level players, but I could be getting back Darren Woodson.
Darren Woodson was a second round pick. Go find me another steal like that. They are out there in every draft. Don't tell me you're trading away second and third round picks because you're not capable of finding anything above average talent after the first.

That's the way I look at it. And like I said, I love Derwin James. But if the cost is a day one or day two pick, I'm out.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Darren Woodson was a second round pick. Go find me another steal like that. They are out there in every draft.
Unfortunately, no, there are not Darren Woodsons in every draft.

At safety in particular it is very hard to find a true do-it-all guy who isn't just a shined up box safety.

I think James could be one of those guys. I'm not saying Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu, but certainly I think a guy who may be a multiple time Pro Bowler safety who can cover like a corner and hit like a linebacker. Byron Jones was billed as that but was always more skilled like a corner..... no deep centerfield awareness and no real run support impact. James could be all that.... would be awesome for this defense.

There are other safeties in this draft who could be good players at FS, no doubt. Jesse Bates is one.

But the guys at the top are there for a reason. I usually am a pro-trade down guy.

This year it makes sense to walk away with two or three impact players for this defense. Don't need to saturate it. That and a developmental OL or two, and we're good. Use your ten picks to get quality not quantity this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately, no, there are not Darren Woodsons in every draft.

At safety in particular it is very hard to find a true do-it-all guy who isn't just a shined up box safety.

I think James could be one of those guys. I'm not saying Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu, but certainly I think a guy who may be a multiple time Pro Bowler safety who can cover like a corner and hit like a linebacker. Byron Jones was billed as that but was always more skilled like a corner..... no deep centerfield awareness and no real run support impact. James could be all that.... would be awesome for this defense.
Maybe not at safety in every draft but there are elite talents available in every draft after the first round they just may be at a different position. I'm on board with Derwin James. But if you're telling me I have to trade up to get him? Just go sign Tre Boston then and lets move on to something else. Or Reid or Vaccaro who are all still free agents I believe. I'm not pinning my entire draft on one player. It's a bad move unless you're willing to fill holes in free agency.

Top Bottom