Legalize all drugs yes or no

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

Irony. He also claimed users are "diseased" last year and thinks law enforcement is the answer to the "problem". Meanwhile, of course, obesity is an actual health crisis in this country.
It's this shit that drives me nuts about the Republican party and I think it alienates a ton of voters. The vast majority of younger people in this country have no issue with weed. And even if they don't want to do it themselves, they certainly don't want to waste massive government resources in stopping others from doing it. But yet some of the Republican party feels is necessary to make weed an enemy. They aren't gaining voters by doing that. And it's not like older Republicans who hate weed are going to suddenly turn around and vote Democrat.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
It's this shit that drives me nuts about the Republican party and I think it alienates a ton of voters. The vast majority of younger people in this country have no issue with weed. And even if they don't want to do it themselves, they certainly don't want to waste massive government resources in stopping others from doing it. But yet some of the Republican party feels is necessary to make weed an enemy. They aren't gaining voters by doing that. And it's not like older Republicans who hate weed are going to suddenly turn around and vote Democrat.
I assume it is just a line in the sand issue for most of them that oppose it but it is becoming an increasingly bad political move to take Christie's attitude towards it. It would be a really dumb hill to choose to die on for anyone that outwardly opposed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I assume it is just a line in the sand issue for most of them that oppose it but it is becoming an increasingly bad political move to take Christie's attitude towards it. It would be a really dumb hill to choose to die on for anyone that outwardly opposed.
It's like because the Democrats took one side of the argument that Republicans feel the need to be on the other side of the argument. It's dumb and it alienates a large percentage of the voting base. It's also why the two party system is a joke. Why someone who likes a free economy then has to sign up for anti weed stuff doesn't make a lick of sense.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
It's like because the Democrats took one side of the argument that Republicans feel the need to be on the other side of the argument. It's dumb and it alienates a large percentage of the voting base. It's also why the two party system is a joke. Why someone who likes a free economy then has to sign up for anti weed stuff doesn't make a lick of sense.
I agree with most of what you are saying but I don't think it is as simple as Republicans just taking the other side of it. There are still a lot of people who don't want it to be legal because they have some sort of moral opposition. Fortunately the number of people who feel that way are now the minority according to a number of national polls as well as what we see happening in legislation at the state level.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I agree with most of what you are saying but I don't think it is as simple as Republicans just taking the other side of it. There are still a lot of people who don't want it to be legal because they have some sort of moral opposition. Fortunately the number of people who feel that way are now the minority according to a number of national polls as well as what we see happening in legislation at the state level.
That's because that generation is slowly dying off. No offense, LT.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
It is true though. No doubt about it. The younger generations are definitely for legalization. It is only a matter of time before it is at least decriminalized and more likely outright legalized at the federal level.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is true though. No doubt about it. The younger generations are definitely for legalization. It is only a matter of time before it is at least decriminalized at the federal level.
Well and to be fair they were brainwashed with untrue propaganda growing up most of their lives. Crazy how much impact the way a person is raised can have on their opinion on something like this.

Cotton

Staff member
Well and to be fair they were brainwashed with untrue propaganda growing up most of their lives. Crazy how much impact the way a person is raised can have on their opinion on something like this.
Absolutely. Our generation just happened to try weed at a much higher rate and have realized that it isn't the big bad demon that we were taught it was.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No offense at your comment. I am neither embarrassed or ashamed to say I have not nor do I intend to try pot. Further if anyone especially a young person asks me whether I thought they should use pot I will unequivocally tell them I would advise then not to use it. Before you start the already worn out dialogue about how I can justify my position, I will simply say have your own opinion and allow me to have mine.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No offense at your comment. I am neither embarrassed or ashamed to say I have not nor do I intend to try pot. Further if anyone especially a young person asks me whether I thought they should use pot I will unequivocally tell them I would advise then not to use it. Before you start the already worn out dialogue about how I can justify my position, I will simply say have your own opinion and allow me to have mine.
You know what I'd tell a person? Probably that it isn't nearly as much fun as it's hyped up to be. Half the appeal of weed I feel like is that it's not legal.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
L.T. saw this as a kid and it really left a mark.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You know what I'd tell a person? Probably that it isn't nearly as much fun as it's hyped up to be. Half the appeal of weed I feel like is that it's not legal.
It is like any vice. Overrated.

But to suggest it is ultra-bad, bad then that is just not realistic.

Cigarette smoking. Drinking alcohol. And especially heavy drug use. Overeating and obesity cause more health issues than any in our society, yet there is no global call to ban it because it makes money.

It is just silly that marijuana is treated like some upper crust vice when in actuality, it is far more benign.

Cotton

Staff member
You absolutely have your right to an opinion, and I won't judge you for it, but I still feel like the "war on drugs" spread propaganda that simple wasn't and still isn't true.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I would tell a person that it affects people differently and that it isn't for everyone and leave it up to them to decide if they want to try it. I know plenty of people who have tried it multiple times and they just don't like it.

I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that half the appeal is that it is not legal though. Do you mean that is why they try it for the first time? As a form of rebellion or something? Because I don't even think that is true in most cases. I believe it is mostly curiousity (and probably peer pressure in some cases among teens) that causes people to try it and the if they find the effects enjoyable they may continue to use it. I don't see how it's illegality would make it any more appealing.

As far as it being as fun as it is hyped up to be, it just depends entirely on the individual and the situation, IMO. It isn't just about 'fun' for everyone though. It can be relaxing/enjoyable without being fun.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would tell a person that it affects people differently and that it isn't for everyone and leave it up to them to decide if they want to try it. I know plenty of people who have tried it multiple times and they just don't like it.

I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that half the appeal is that it is not legal though. Do you mean that is why they try it for the first time? As a form of rebellion or something? Because I don't even think that is true in most cases. I believe it is mostly curiousity (and probably peer pressure in some cases among teens) that causes people to try it and the effects that cause them to continue.

As far as it being as fun as it is hyped up to be, it just depends entirely on the individual and the situation, IMO. It isn't just about 'fun' for everyone though. It can be relaxing/enjoyable without being fun.
I guess I mean the reason why most people who smoke a few times never become a regular smoker. I've smoked before like the majority of people I know, but just sort of grew up and stopped like most of my friends. A few still do but the majority don't.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
It is just silly that marijuana is treated like some upper crust vice when in actuality, it is far more benign.
GATEWAY DRUG!!! WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS???!!! News flash, a shitload of teenagers smoke weed. I do not condone that at all but it is true. And just because they smoke weed doesn't mean that they are going to evolve in heroin, crack, or meth addicts. Some will, but generally those that do have much deeper issues that take them to those places. They were going to get there regardless of if they smoked a joint once in a while or not.

BTW I am not directing this at you as if I am telling you something you didn't already know Booze, I just quoted your post and started typing.

Top Bottom