Tony Romo Press Conference

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not suggesting that at all about Romo's value. It's just that leverage in trades is a big deal.
But if you think he is a legit upper level starting QB, securing that is easily worth a first/second round pick. If for no other reason then you don't want him going to another team.

Leverage is created by having more then one team interested in a player. Otherwise you'd never put a guy on a trading block because you'd lose all your leverage.

hstour

Brand New Member
We'll be lucky to get one third for Romo. Everyone knows we'll cut him if they wait long enough.
Don't agree. His contract is built in. If you don't get enough (or Romo doesn't press to be moved) then you keep him as the best backup in the league.

Actually Dallas has the leverage if say a Denver wants him as a bridge to Lynch being ready.

Romo is the perfect bridge and can help you young QB grow.

That's at least how I would play it.

I would say let him stay the backup this year, in the offseason cut Wade a Wilson and Talk Romo into becoming QB coach next year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we can't trade him, keep him, I honestly would have no problem with an open competition between him and Prescott next offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if he won the job next year and if he doesn't, teams are more willing to part with picks in July or August than they are in February or March.

The only reason I'd cut him is because presumably it'd give us much more flexibility under the cap, although I'm sure Jerry will want to "do right by Romo" and give him a chance elsewhere instead of forcing him to spend his last few years a backup. With that said, I don't think keeping him is forcing him to be a backup as I think it's totally possible he could beat out Prescott in an honest competition.

I'd also let him go out and talk to teams and hope that he can broker some type of deal where a team would be willing to part with a pick. Letting him go just for the sake of being nice is inane, unless we really capitalize on that cap space.

As far as what I'd take for him, I think a 2nd rounder would be fair, especially if it's from a team like the Jets or Browns. Jerry will have to make it clear that this isn't fucking charity though and they aren't going to just take whatever a team feels like offering just because Romo wants to join them, which of course is probably the exact opposite of what he will do.

I understand wanting to do right by Romo, and to me that's what allowing him to go out and talk to teams is doing. But at the end of the day, the bottom line has to be loyalty to the organization, and if the Browns are offering us a 1st and 3rd while the Broncos are offering a 4th, I don't give two fucks what Romo wants, he's going to the Browns.

shane

DCC 4Life
Maybe he'll go to the Jets next year? Would be nice to see if he could rekindle the magic in the AFC for another year.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If we can't trade him, keep him, I honestly would have no problem with an open competition between him and Prescott next offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if he won the job next year and if he doesn't, teams are more willing to part with picks in July or August than they are in February or March.

The only reason I'd cut him is because presumably it'd give us much more flexibility under the cap, although I'm sure Jerry will want to "do right by Romo" and give him a chance elsewhere instead of forcing him to spend his last few years a backup. With that said, I don't think keeping him is forcing him to be a backup as I think it's totally possible he could beat out Prescott in an honest competition.

I'd also let him go out and talk to teams and hope that he can broker some type of deal where a team would be willing to part with a pick. Letting him go just for the sake of being nice is inane, unless we really capitalize on that cap space.

As far as what I'd take for him, I think a 2nd rounder would be fair, especially if it's from a team like the Jets or Browns. Jerry will have to make it clear that this isn't fucking charity though and they aren't going to just take whatever a team feels like offering just because Romo wants to join them, which of course is probably the exact opposite of what he will do.

I understand wanting to do right by Romo, and to me that's what allowing him to go out and talk to teams is doing. But at the end of the day, the bottom line has to be loyalty to the organization, and if the Browns are offering us a 1st and 3rd while the Broncos are offering a 4th, I don't give two fucks what Romo wants, he's going to the Browns.
That's pretty much the way I see it. I really think Romo will say next season and make an attempt to gain the starting position again. It may be the biggest challenge is to get Dak signed to a deal that will keep him here. Romo is about done but still viable and Dak is the future but could be the backup next season. It's a media bonanza.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The fact that the Eagles received 1st round picks for Bradford and a marginal QB like Osweiler received a lucrative contract is plenty of proof that the Cowboys should take nothing less than a 1st round pick for Romo.

Plus next year's draft class doesn't appear to be a strong class for QBs. Someone will overpay for Romo. They always do.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Staff member
Here’s something that bothered me yesterday as I combed through social media posts and I’ve even seen it posted here a few times. It’s this false notion that Tony Romo has never had any help from his defense, OL, etc. and that he’s been a hapless victim of circumstance throughout his entire 10 year run as the starting QB of the Cowboys.

I’m a fan of Romo as well but that narrative is 100% false.

Did he ever have a 2000 Ravens type defense to lean on? No. However there were several years where the Cowboys fielded better than average defenses; particularly in the late 2000’s when they had guys like Demarcus Ware & Jay Ratliff anchoring the defense.

I went back and checked for myself and sure enough during his 10 year run as starting QB, the Cowboys defense was ranked middle of the pack or higher for about 5 of those years. They even had a couple of top 10 seasons mixed in there. Yet people want to act as if he had to overcome those horrid Kiffin/Rob Ryan defenses throughout his entire career.

Brees, P. Manning, Flacco, M. Ryan, A. Luck, and a quite a few others, have all either won titles or at least been to conference title games backed only by middle of the pack defenses. So I can’t just excuse Romo’s shortcomings just because he didn’t have a top 5 defense to lean on.

On the other side of the ball, aside from a few years the Cowboys usually put a reliable OL in front of Romo. No they weren’t as good as this current group but I’d be willing to bet that Cowboy offensive lines throughout the Romo era normally graded out as top 15 units.

He’s also usually had a dependable running game. No one as dynamic as Zeke but MBIII, Felix Jones, Murray gave us some good to great years at RB.

Plus he’s always had a dynamic WR at his disposal, whether that be TO, Miles Austin, or Dez, along with the future Hall of Famer Jason Witten at TE.

So I laugh at and reject this notion that Romo was somehow saddled with nothing to work with.

The only thing that I’ll give him a break on is the GM and head coach he’s been saddled with. I do think we wasted a few of Romo’s better years OJTing Jason Garrett.

Bottom line, very rarely do you see QBs set up with the perfect situation from top to bottom. The way the NFL system is set up teams are always going to be lacking in an area or two. And it’s up to the coaches and usually the QB to compensate for those weak areas.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It would seem to me that if you had a trade in mind the organizational brainstorming you would also need to develope a showcasing display. This would seem to require some playing time in actual game.
He has had 10 years to showcase his talent. Teams know what he is, and they know his injury history. Playing a half in a meaningless game isn't going to change anything.

1bigfan13

Staff member
He has had 10 years to showcase his talent. Teams know what he is, and they know his injury history. Playing a half in a meaningless game isn't going to change anything.
Regarding Romo’s perceived value, I also look at the Peyton Manning situation. One could argue that his medical issues were more serious than Romo’s. Yet that didn’t stop a desperate Broncos team from handing him a 5 year $96-million dollar contract.

I’d be shocked if we don’t have at least two teams eagerly wanting to pony up high draft choices for Romo. Especially a team like that Jets that already have some nice veteran pieces on offense.

Cotton

Staff member
Regarding Romo’s perceived value, I also look at the Peyton Manning situation. One could argue that his medical issues were more serious than Romo’s. Yet that didn’t stop a desperate Broncos team from handing him a 5 year $96-million dollar contract.

I’d be shocked if we don’t have at least two teams eagerly wanting to pony up high draft choices for Romo. Especially a team like that Jets that already have some nice veteran pieces on offense.
Yeah, I can't imagine we would take anything less than a 1st.

Cotton

Staff member
Here’s something that bothered me yesterday as I combed through social media posts and I’ve even seen it posted here a few times. It’s this false notion that Tony Romo has never had any help from his defense, OL, etc. and that he’s been a hapless victim of circumstance throughout his entire 10 year run as the starting QB of the Cowboys.

Did he ever have a 2000 Ravens type defense to lean on? No. However there were several years where the Cowboys fielded better than average defenses; particularly in the late 2000’s when they had guys like Demarcus Ware & Jay Ratliff anchoring the defense.

I went back and checked for myself and sure enough during his 10 year run as starting QB, the Cowboys defense was ranked middle of the pack or higher for about 5 of those years. They even had a couple of top 10 seasons mixed in there. Yet people want to act as if he had to overcome those horrid Kiffin/Rob Ryan defenses throughout his entire career.

Brees, P. Manning, Flacco, M. Ryan, A. Luck, and a quite a few others, have all either won titles or at least been to conference title games backed only by middle of the pack defenses. So I can’t just excuse Romo’s shortcomings just because he didn’t have a top 5 defense to lean on.

On the other side of the ball, aside from a few years the Cowboys usually put a reliable OL in front of Romo. No they weren’t as good as this current group but I’d be willing to bet that Cowboy offensive lines throughout the Romo era normally graded out as top 15 units.

He’s also usually had a dependable running game. No one as dynamic as Zeke but MBIII, Felix Jones, Murray gave us some good to great years at RB.

Plus he’s always had a dynamic WR at his disposal, whether that be TO, Miles Austin, or Dez, along with the future Hall of Famer Jason Witten at TE.

So I laugh at and reject this notion that Romo was somehow saddled with nothing to work with.

The only thing that I’ll give him a break on is the GM and head coach he’s been saddled with. I do think we wasted a few of Romo’s better years OJTing Jason Garrett.

Bottom line, very rarely do you see QBs set up with the perfect situation from top to bottom. The way the NFL system is set up teams are always going to be lacking in an area or two. And it’s up to the coaches and usually the QB to compensate for those weak areas.
I would agree with this. There are a shit ton of Tony backers that are being ridiculous on Twitter right now. I had to unfollow this one guy because he was just being retarded about the issue.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

While I don't disagree with you, I do think the teams got worse as he got better.

I think Romo really started to figure things out in 2011, and those teams were above average teams and the 2012 and 2013 teams were pretty flawed.

The biggest hindrance to his career was Jerry Jones. Yes, he didn't always have this bare cupboard of a team to work with, but he did have to deal with Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett as coaches and his teams were not built intelligently like they would have been had he been part of a good organization.

I do feel bad for him because he gave us everything he had and doesn't have much to show for it. He didn't always have the best teams, but he also didn't play his best in win or go home situations, so we'll just have to chalk that era up to it being one of a team just not good enough or mentally strong enough to get it done.

That's the way I've always viewed the Romo-era Cowboys, at least.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Man, that was tough.

Cowboys fan 1st, but Romo is one of the all-time greats.

Stepped on the scene with moxie and now entering the twilight with absolute class.

Thanks for keeping the team afloat for all those years! It was easy to give him grief for the few times he threw a big game away. He spoiled us into believing that any game could be won right at the last minute. He was a luxury that, quite frankly, we didn't deserve. Post-Aikman we blindly threw resources at filling the position in the most retarded ways imaginable.

Cotton

Staff member
Man, that was tough.

Cowboys fan 1st, but Romo is one of the all-time greats.

Stepped on the scene with moxie and now entering the twilight with absolute class.

Thanks for keeping the team afloat for all those years! It was easy to give him grief for the few times he threw a big game away. He spoiled us into believing that any game could be won right at the last minute. He was a luxury that, quite frankly, we didn't deserve. Post-Aikman we blindly threw resources at filling the position in the most retarded ways imaginable.
This is the single biggest reason am so hype about Dak. Those years were miserable, and hopefully we won't have to go through them again.

Cotton

Staff member
Tony Romo's words draw praise from all over
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- When the Dallas Cowboys' 2008 season ended with a 44-6 fiasco against the Philadelphia Eagles, fans cringed when Tony Romo said, “If this is the worst thing that will ever happen to me, then I've lived a pretty good life."

Some likely never forgave him for having perspective, even if it was the correct perspective.

Maybe they listened to Romo’s words Tuesday. For nearly five minutes, Romo poured his emotions into a prepared statement that showed how much the game matters to him.

“You see, football is a meritocracy. You aren’t handed anything. You earn everything every single day, over and over again. You have to prove it,” Romo said. “That’s the way that the NFL, that’s the way that football works. A great example of this is Dak Prescott and what he’s done. He’s earned the right to be our quarterback. As hard as that is for me to say, he’s earned that right. He’s guided our team to an 8-1 record, and that’s hard to do. If you think for a second that I don’t want to be out there, then you’ve probably never felt the pure ecstasy of competing and winning. That hasn’t left me. In fact, it may burn more now than ever.”

Romo’s comments offered insight few players ever give. It was his truth, calling the compression fracture in his back a “soul-crushing moment.” He said he has felt like an “outsider” in the team’s 8-1 start. He said it’s been a “dark place.”

But he also expressed his commitment to Prescott and his teammates.

“We all know something magical is happening to our team,” Romo said. “I'm not going to allow this situation to negatively affect Dak or this football team by becoming a constant distraction. I think Dak knows that I have his back. And I think I know that he has mine. Ultimately, it's about the team. It's what we've preached our entire lives.”

The reaction from former coaches, teammates and competitors to Romo’s words was far-reaching.

Former teammate Tashard Choice:

Former teammate Bobby Carpenter, who was a groomsman in Romo's wedding:

Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald:

Former Texas coach Mack Brown:

Minnesota offensive tackle Jake Long:

ESPN analyst Louis Riddick:

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
Feel pretty confident he will be needed, someway, somehow.

I will say this, Jerry Jones is right, he does appear to have a future in coaching.
Have that sense too... Great to see him handle himself with class and step aside for the team. What an amazing luxury to have 2 franchise QBs available for a playoff push.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
Yeah, I can't imagine we would take anything less than a 1st.
+1

While we can outright cut him like we did Ware and just move on-- I hope we play it smarter and "Herschel Walker" somebody for some picks. Franchise QBs are the most valuable commodity in the NFL-- and Tony can still help a team the next year or two.

My guess would be we could do a restructured deal with him to lower his cap hit and increase his value, and then trade with a desperate team. Everybody wins. If Tony refuses to restructure or teams low-ball us with offers, you keep him as a backup for 2017 and cut him in 2018 to get cap relief.

Cotton

Staff member
So, Stephen A. Smith has come out and said that the Romo press conference was unnecessary. So, there's that.

If you want to get pissed off, you can listen here.

Top Bottom