Engel: Cowboys' free agency moves mean they must cut Dez Bryant

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

Dez Bryant had leverage, but the Dallas Cowboys' addition of Spare 1 and Spare 2 changes that.

Dez's employer is telling their former darling receiver exactly what they think of him. The Cowboys finally jumped into the Manager's Special rack of NFL free agency and added receivers Deonte Thompson and Allen Hurns.

All you need to know about Thompson is that he played for two teams last season, the Chicago Bears and Buffalo Bills. The Bears and Bills are two teams whose passing offenses were worse than Dallas. Chicago finished 32nd in passing, Buffalo 31st, and the Cowboys just plucked away one of their receivers.

Thompson caught 38 passes last season and ... I'm already bored.

Hurns, who was with Jacksonville last season, had one more reception last year than Thompson.

Right now, Dak Prescott must be thinking what we all know: Dez Bryant is still his best choice on the outside.

Nonetheless, the Cowboys have sent Dez the clearest signal they don't love him any more. They have intentionally created an awkward situation for any future team meetings or practice huddles.

The Cowboys have to cut Dez Bryant.

If they thought Dez was an issue before, just wait.

And, assuming Dez is dumped, if the Cowboys didn't think they had a true No. 1 receiver in 2017 just wait 'til 2018.

Even if Dez accepts a pay cut, this relationship is now fractured to the point no "Emotional Healing Coach" counselor can save it.

Dez is an emotional soul who feels everything, and no Jerry Jones hard spin can change what Eight-Eight sees: They don't want him. If Jerry could get away with it, he would keep every favorite player. Emmitt Smith might still be playing.

Specifically, the head coach and The Sheriff, Stephen Jones, don't want Dez any more. Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan surely has a vote in this matter, too.

Jerry Jones wants Dez Bryant back and says a meeting will be had soon In the collective minds of the Cowboys' "braintrust" (a contradiction in terms if there ever was one), Dez is the former trophy girlfriend who was all kinds of crazy but just so "hot" they could deal with tantrums and the emotion.

No more.

Before he was drafted out of Oklahoma State, NFL types warned the world, and Jerry, to stay away from Dez for exactly these reasons. Among others. Jerry grabbed him with the 24th pick in 2010.

A little personality has never scared Jerry. But that was in 2010.

Dez will turn 30 this season, and after three consecutive dynamic years from 2011 to '14 his production dropped to such ish levels the Cowboys are telling Dez they're done.

As a receiver, Dez was never going to age well. He was never a beautiful route runner with gorgeous hands, like Larry Fitzgerald. Dez is fearless, and physical. That type of player doesn't transition well after 30.

Nonetheless, the Cowboys are still fooling themselves about their receivers. Dak is good, but he has not shown he can make a decent receiver into a great one.

Today, his receiving corps consists of Dez Bryant, Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley, Allen Hurns, Deonte Thompson, Noah Brown, and Ryan Switzer. Throw in a draft pick or two, too.

Dez is the best of the lot, but to the Cowboys Spare 1 and Spare 2 are better alternatives.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just last week, Engel said it was imperative that we keep him. :picard

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't think those articles conflict necessarily.

Before they signed any WRs you can argue there are no better WR options so we should keep Dez.

But it's not incongruous to say that now that we signed guys anyway, Dez needs to go because he's an emotional guy and you are kind of emasculating him.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

Before they signed any WRs you can argue there are no better WR options so we should keep Dez.

But it's not incongruous to say that now that we signed guys anyway, Dez needs to go because he's an emotional guy and you are kind of emasculating him.
If they had signed Watkins for a lot of $$, I could see him justifiably singing a different tune, but Thompson and Hurns shouldn't change Dez's fate. If they go WR at #19, then yeah, he's a goner.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

This article is a lot of speculation about Dez's feelings. I think they are making a real leap there based on these two low level signings.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
This article is a lot of speculation about Dez's feelings. I think they are making a real leap there based on these two low level signings.
and being the offseason they need something to write about...

lostxn

DCC 4Life

If we draft a WR high - say we go Ridley or Moore - Dez is gone. You could argue Thompson is to replace Butler and Hurns is going to replace either Williams or Beasley. We could still keep Dez. If we draft another guy high he's gonzo.

By the way, I want to draft Ridley or Moore. But I don't get a vote...

p1_

DCC 4Life

Dez Bryant had leverage, but the Dallas Cowboys' addition of Spare 1 and Spare 2 changes that.

Dez's employer is telling their former darling receiver exactly what they think of him. The Cowboys finally jumped into the Manager's Special rack of NFL free agency and added receivers Deonte Thompson and Allen Hurns.

All you need to know about Thompson is that he played for two teams last season, the Chicago Bears and Buffalo Bills. The Bears and Bills are two teams whose passing offenses were worse than Dallas. Chicago finished 32nd in passing, Buffalo 31st, and the Cowboys just plucked away one of their receivers.

Thompson caught 38 passes last season and ... I'm already bored.

Hurns, who was with Jacksonville last season, had one more reception last year than Thompson.

Right now, Dak Prescott must be thinking what we all know: Dez Bryant is still his best choice on the outside.

Nonetheless, the Cowboys have sent Dez the clearest signal they don't love him any more. They have intentionally created an awkward situation for any future team meetings or practice huddles.

The Cowboys have to cut Dez Bryant.

If they thought Dez was an issue before, just wait.

And, assuming Dez is dumped, if the Cowboys didn't think they had a true No. 1 receiver in 2017 just wait 'til 2018.

Even if Dez accepts a pay cut, this relationship is now fractured to the point no "Emotional Healing Coach" counselor can save it.

Dez is an emotional soul who feels everything, and no Jerry Jones hard spin can change what Eight-Eight sees: They don't want him. If Jerry could get away with it, he would keep every favorite player. Emmitt Smith might still be playing.

Specifically, the head coach and The Sheriff, Stephen Jones, don't want Dez any more. Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan surely has a vote in this matter, too.

Jerry Jones wants Dez Bryant back and says a meeting will be had soon In the collective minds of the Cowboys' "braintrust" (a contradiction in terms if there ever was one), Dez is the former trophy girlfriend who was all kinds of crazy but just so "hot" they could deal with tantrums and the emotion.

No more.

Before he was drafted out of Oklahoma State, NFL types warned the world, and Jerry, to stay away from Dez for exactly these reasons. Among others. Jerry grabbed him with the 24th pick in 2010.

A little personality has never scared Jerry. But that was in 2010.

Dez will turn 30 this season, and after three consecutive dynamic years from 2011 to '14 his production dropped to such ish levels the Cowboys are telling Dez they're done.

As a receiver, Dez was never going to age well. He was never a beautiful route runner with gorgeous hands, like Larry Fitzgerald. Dez is fearless, and physical. That type of player doesn't transition well after 30.

Nonetheless, the Cowboys are still fooling themselves about their receivers. Dak is good, but he has not shown he can make a decent receiver into a great one.

Today, his receiving corps consists of Dez Bryant, Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley, Allen Hurns, Deonte Thompson, Noah Brown, and Ryan Switzer. Throw in a draft pick or two, too.

Dez is the best of the lot, but to the Cowboys Spare 1 and Spare 2 are better alternatives.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just last week, Engel said it was imperative that we keep him. :picard
That was before signing Spares #1 and #2.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we draft a WR high - say we go Ridley or Moore - Dez is gone. You could argue Thompson is to replace Butler and Hurns is going to replace either Williams or Beasley. We could still keep Dez. If we draft another guy high he's gonzo.

By the way, I want to draft Ridley or Moore. But I don't get a vote...
I totally agree. At this point I'm starting to wonder if the signing of Hurns doesn't speak more to the concern over the broken foot to Williams. I know sometimes with WR's a broken foot can take a good year before they are really right again. I have no idea how or what he broke in his foot but I'd say that's a big concern. And the coaches at least know Hurns can fill into that role pretty easily.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Hurns, Thompson, et al are not as good as Dez. Dez unfortunately costs a lot more, but do we honestly GAS about 2018’s cap at this point?

Are they going to sign Suh?

I doubt it. So keep Dez and cut him after the season.

west723

Brand New Member
They are going to draft a WR just how high do you draft him? Could see them moving down from pick 19 to 28 or 29(Steelers or Jags)
if they could get some value. Don't really see a difference maker being there at 19. Steelers or Jags could trade up for QB if some drop.
Best chance to see a receiver is going is third or fourth round. LB is biggest need and they should pick more then one.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
A motivated Dez could have a big year, but Dallas clearly needs to be molding the offense to Dak's strengths.

Dez needs to carry #4's pads in camp.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hurns, Thompson, et al are not as good as Dez. Dez unfortunately costs a lot more, but do we honestly GAS about 2018’s cap at this point?

Are they going to sign Suh?

I doubt it. So keep Dez and cut him after the season.
It's not just about this years cap. It's about next years and beyond. Your attitude is why the Cowboys never have cap room.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have endless cap room next year.

Without Dez in 2017 we have a shitty receiving corps.
And yet every time Dez has gotten hurt the last two years the offense functioned well. Dez has usefulness but it wouldn't be a disaster if we cut him. We may actually become more efficient. Even if that's the coaches fault.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They are going to draft a WR just how high do you draft him? Could see them moving down from pick 19 to 28 or 29(Steelers or Jags)
if they could get some value. Don't really see a difference maker being there at 19. Steelers or Jags could trade up for QB if some drop.
Best chance to see a receiver is going is third or fourth round. LB is biggest need and they should pick more then one.
Get an avatar and someone may answer your questions.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
And yet every time Dez has gotten hurt the last two years the offense functioned well. Dez has usefulness but it wouldn't be a disaster if we cut him. We may actually become more efficient. Even if that's the coaches fault.
Yeah I think we are a better offense without him. How many drives did we kill forcing the ball to Dez? He single-handedly cost us the Seattle game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who you targeting at 28 or 29? Not against that trade back, just not sure if it's maybe a little too far down.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Get an avatar and someone may answer your questions.
Member since Apr '13, picks a Spaulding avatar, and that was his very first post... Interesting.

Didn't Jiggy have that same avatar when he met the banhammer? Also, was he the one that always hit the return button, which chopped up his posts, or was that somebody else...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dude, we covered this.

You are talking about three games where the competition was weak or the ball mostly bounced our way. Aaron Rodgers’ performance in Green Bay... what the Hell was that?

In fact, our OL was perfect in 2016— just not representative of normal NFL reality. No QB consistently has that kind of time to read through all progressions

Cowboys fans can’t see that judging Dak by 2016 is like judging RG3 by 2012 or Quincy Carter by 2003 or Brian Griese by 2000. That “efficient” word is bullshit— not sustainable across a career.

Dez has never been a big separation type WR, while Dak grew up looking through all his progressions with plenty of time waiting for the open WR.

2017 was a hard dose of reality, and it’s on Dak to grow up and expand the kinds of passes he throws to Dez.

Top Bottom