Cowboys Sign WR Deonte Thompson

He did have his best year last year. As for the 1 million, the vet minimum for a 7 year guy is 915000.

G GS T R Yds Avg TD
16 10 69 38 555 14.6 2
15 14 70 39 593 15.2 8
13 0 23 15 317 21.1 3

The first row of stats is Thompson, second is Watkins, third is Butler. Thompson costs 1 million guaranteed while Watson costs 30 million guaranteed.

This is the f'ing market, and all things considered I think we fared a lot better than KC.

There's either room for competition in our WR corps or there isn't. Draft picks are all gambles, and none of them know how to be professionals yet.

This was a very reasonable move.

He's a drop-in replacement for Butler and is competing for a better contract. That's what we need, given we're not going to find a Dez replacement outside of the draft.

I want Ryan Switzer's smug, comfortable ass either transformed into a significant contributor or fucking gone. I want Beasley, Twill, and Dez to raise their ridiculous 8.7, 10.7, and 12.1 YPC's or be gone.

Of course that means better protection, better passing, and better offensive balance.

Jason Garrett is still the head coach and the Jones’ still own the team so there is that...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's a 1 year prove it deal. I don't have a huge issue with it but I know nothing about the player.
No, it is a two year deal where if he sucks we wasted $1M.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
This guy is pretty damn fast. He ran a 4.31 forty. That's faster than anyone this year. I suspect he may be more of an athlete/sprinter than a receiver because his measurables are outstanding for an undrafted guy.

Broaddus loves him but the production sure doesn't match the praise.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Scouting Report: WR Thompson Has Impressive Speed, Solid Hands
Thursday, March 22, 2018 3:28 PM CDT

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

@BryanBroaddus
Name: Deonte Thompson
Position: Wide Receiver
College: Florida
Height: 6-0
Weight: 200
Draft: Signed undrafted with Baltimore in 2012

Games Studied: With Chicago, vs. Tampa Bay in 2017; with Buffalo, vs. Tampa Bay, New York Jets, Indianapolis and New England in 2017. Read

• In a funny twist, his two best games of the season were both against Tampa Bay – he played the Buccaneers as a member of both the Bears and the Bills.
  • I was impressed with his playing speed. He shows the ability to separate as he gets down the field.
  • He puts some pressure on the defensive back and their cushion. He can cover some ground when running. Some of his best routes are deep across the field.
  • Nice body control and balance. He had to make some adjusting catches where the ball was in terrible position.
  • He will leap to go get the ball, and he can really go up the ladder to grab it.
  • This is a consistent route runner. He is not one of those guys that’s all over the place.
  • Perhaps the best play I watched was a 34-yard reception in a driving snow storm against Indianapolis. Tracked the ball all the way into his hands.
  • His hands appear dependable. Catches to targets are good.
  • He will extend himself to make receptions.
  • He made a couple of really nice plays in the red zone. He is able to free himself off the line, then grab the ball.
  • For the opportunities he received, he didn’t disappoint.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
No, it is a two year deal where if he sucks we wasted $1M.
Or $500k over 2 years really. That's chicken feed. Let's see how it goes. He can stretch the field. We need that. Not everything has to be the end of the world boozeman. FFS. Considering the money that went to Watkins I'm totally fine with this. Honestly, I would have been fine keeping Butler if he had kept his fucking mouth shut.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I mean, Mike Wallace is way more proven and signed the exact same deal.

He is about to turn 32 though, so I'm sure that isn't efficient enough for these fucks.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
If he's so good, why was he avail...

Ah, fuck it. Let yet another mediocre free agency period continue, overall it's been almost like an expansion draft.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I mean, Mike Wallace is way more proven and signed the exact same deal.

He is about to turn 32 though, so I'm sure that isn't efficient enough for these fucks.
Got to be efficient.

And the player has to have "upside".

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I guess I'm the only one excited about this signing.

This allows us to move Lael Collins back to guard.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Well, this more than recoups Butler's production. I'll take it.

Top Bottom