• Giants, then Packers, then Lions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Packers, then Lions, then Giants

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

From PFF, most yards given up by area of the field. Interesting. Some playoff teams in there that we may face.
I see two, unless you are projecting the Steelers or Pats in the SB. All this tells me is that for the immediate future, we should go attack the middle of the field.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Welp, looks like you're going to be getting a long and sappy PM from me, mister.
In that PM, please don't forget to explain how you think that video is awesome and somehow find a way to defend your IQ.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In that PM, please don't forget to explain how you think that video is awesome and somehow find a way to defend your IQ.
Oh, it will have all of that and much more, pal. By the end of it you will respect me like you have never respected another online persona in your history on the interwebs.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I see two, unless you are projecting the Steelers or Pats in the SB. All this tells me is that for the immediate future, we should go attack the middle of the field.
Which according to Sturm is the exact opposite of where we are attacking.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yes, including Steelers and patriots.

And yes, we may be able to exploit the middle with Witten and Beasley, particularly against the falcons and packers which has a real possibility of being our path to the super bowl. Atlanta's number in particular is eye popping, though I have no idea how it compares league wide other than being the worst.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I'm not reading through this whole thread but my dream scenario is that both wild card teams win this weekend leaving us to play Detroit the following weekend. Then for the Giants to beat Atlanta and come to Dallas for the NFCC game.

I don't wanna play Atlanta or Green Bay.

Detroit and NY don't scare me in the least.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yes, including Steelers and patriots.

And yes, we may be able to exploit the middle with Witten and Beasley, particularly against the falcons and packers which has a real possibility of being our path to the super bowl. Atlanta's number in particular is eye popping, though I have no idea how it compares league wide other than being the worst.
We need deep crosses, just like we hit with Williams vs Detroit in the playoffs.

Middle shots to Beasley can move the chains, but they aren't going to cause real damage.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We need deep crosses, just like we hit with Williams vs Detroit in the playoffs.

Middle shots to Beasley can move the chains, but they aren't going to cause real damage.
Those are first down tools and I think I would classify them as damaging. Retaining possession and controlling the clock can be very damaging to an opponent.

data

Forbes #1

How many attempts did Romo have 25+ yards (or 20+) in the air in 2014? What was his completion percentage? How does that compare to Dak this year?

It'd be eye-opening to see the discrepancy - heads and shoulders difference or are we splitting hairs?

Looking at their general stat line, it's rather similar. Dak's yards per game (229) are 7% within Tony's (247). Dak's yards per attempt (8.0) are within 6% of Tony's (8.5). Both Dak and Romo averaged 29 passes per game.

Eliminating YAC, though, Dak's air-yards-per-completion was 6.9 to Romo's 8.7, a 20% difference.

With the similarity of these stats, if Romo's throwing a helluva lot more deep passes than Dak, he's also throwing a helluva lot more short passes than Dak. Dak's range of passing depth would be smaller.

Cotton

Staff member
How many attempts did Romo have 25+ yards (or 20+) in the air in 2014? What was his completion percentage? How does that compare to Dak this year?

It'd be eye-opening to see the discrepancy - heads and shoulders difference or are we splitting hairs?

Looking at their general stat line, it's rather similar. Dak's yards per game (229) are 7% within Tony's (247). Dak's yards per attempt (8.0) are within 6% of Tony's (8.5). Both Dak and Romo averaged 29 passes per game.

Eliminating YAC, though, Dak's air-yards-per-completion was 6.9 to Romo's 8.7, a 20% difference.

With the similarity of these stats, if Romo's throwing a helluva lot more deep passes than Dak, he's also throwing a helluva lot more short passes than Dak. Dak's range of passing depth would be smaller.
That would be interesting to see, and since you posted such a great post, I assign you to go look it up. Pronto.

2233boys

Not So New Member
The last couple games showed me that Dak's on the money with the deep ball.

Nobody can stop this offense if Linehan will throw that damn sweep shit out.

The defense is peaking at just the right time.

Anything less than a SB win is a huge FAIL. This is the year.
No Rookie QB has ever won the Super Bowl, not sure how much of a fail it would be not winning it all. 1 in done would be a huge fail IMO.

data

Forbes #1
That would be interesting to see, and since you posted such a great post, I assign you to go look it up. Pronto.
How about you tweet your butt buddy, Sturm, and request a 2014 Romo passing chart. He's provided the 2016 Prescott chart and even states the similarities of deep passes. He knows the numbers, just hasn't publicized them.

My main man, John Daigle, made this beauty yesterday. It is the full-season throw chart for Dak Prescott...his depth of throw ranks right there with the best QBs in the league (and more importantly to many, it seems, Tony Romo's 2014 masterpiece) - despite the silly narratives that try to say otherwise.
http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/showthread.php?6404-Sturm-s-Decoding-Linehan-2016-Wrap-up-And-Looking-At-Romo-Tape!&p=328322&viewfull=1#post328322

Cotton

Staff member
How about you tweet your butt buddy, Sturm, and request a 2014 Romo passing chart. He's provided the 2016 Prescott chart and even states the similarities of deep passes. He knows the numbers, just hasn't publicized them.

http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/showthread.php?6404-Sturm-s-Decoding-Linehan-2016-Wrap-up-And-Looking-At-Romo-Tape!&p=328322&viewfull=1#post328322
Tweet sent. We will see if he replies.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And it's not just the depth of the passes, but also the location.

I want to attack the deep middle. I don't want to see a pass chart dominated by bunches in a few areas.

We should be consistently attacking the entire field, not just for show.

I know Dak can do it, just take the chains off.

And I don't care that he's a rookie. If he's going to run THIS team, he needs to be thinking Super Bowl.

Nothing less than reaching that game will be a success.

Don't think that we have some giant multi-year window. Age, injury, regression, attrition-- these destroy windows faster than you'd think.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And it's not just the depth of the passes, but also the location.

I want to attack the deep middle. I don't want to see a pass chart dominated by bunches in a few areas.
It's really hard to do against a single high safety.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
No Rookie QB has ever won the Super Bowl, not sure how much of a fail it would be not winning it all. 1 in done would be a huge fail IMO.
It certainly wouldn't be a fail against Dak. It would be a lot to expect of a rookie QB.

It could be an organizational failure though, considering they were the ones that decided to go with a rookie QB with Romo on the bench.

However, it depends. If we lose but Dak plays well and it's just that the defense shit the bed or something, then there's no reason to blame the QB or the decision to play him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It certainly wouldn't be a fail against Dak. It would be a lot to expect of a rookie QB.

It could be an organizational failure though, considering they were the ones that decided to go with a rookie QB with Romo on the bench.

However, it depends. If we lose but Dak plays well and it's just that the defense shit the bed or something, then there's no reason to blame the QB or the decision to play him.
A rookie QB has never played this well before so we are sort of in uncharted territory. Certainly if an NFL team goes 13-3 and has the top seed you expect them to win a game. But at the same time if this team had gone 10-6 this season and been a wild card we probably would all hail it as a success. Dak has raised the expectations of the team so substantially from the beginning of the season, it seems a bit unfair if he now fails to meet those high expectations in a playoff game.

In the end I'd put it in the same spot as the 2007 season. Excellent regular season, disappointing end and hopeful that we can compete for a long time with a young talented signal caller.

Top Bottom