Cowboys release Hargrove

Carp

DCC 4Life
@nickeatman 2m
Cowboys have released DE Anthony Hargrove.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Cowboys cut Anthony Hargrove
Posted by Josh Alper on June 20, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT

Before defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove signed with the Cowboys in May, it looked like his career might be over.

Hargrove did not play at all in 2012, in part because he was initially suspended by the NFL for his alleged involvement in the Saints’ bounty program and no team signed him as a free agent, and he joined a lawsuit against the league because of concussions he sustained during his playing career. The job offer from the Cowboys contradicted those signs that Hargrove was at the end of the line, but now we’re again wondering if Hargrove’s finished.

Nick Eatman of the Cowboys website reports that the team has released Hargrove a little more than a month after signing him. While you normally can’t tell all that much from unpadded offseason workouts, the Cowboys obviously felt they saw enough to know that Hargrove wouldn’t be able to help them in the 2013 season.

That’s not going to be a big help for Hargrove when it comes to finding other work, although one never knows what injuries may open up jobs around the league as the summer unfolds.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If he can't out-practice Lissemore, Bass and company then at age 30+ I see no reason to have him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If he can't out-practice Lissemore, Bass and company then at age 30+ I see no reason to have him.
Yes but we wasted time with him when better FAs have been scooped up.

Why did we promote McClay again?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Why did we promote McClay again?
Reading between the lines, maybe they could see Hargrove was going to be the last straw and this "promotion" is really a lateral move to get McClay away from influencing any real scouting. Putting him in an office saves face for all concerned. By assisting Stephen Jones, he's become an information gatherer. Makes me think Laurent Robinson was all Judd Garrett.

They'd never take Ciskowski away from direct college scouting, for example.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Broaddus: Hargrove Cut Makes Sense; Shows Faith In Wilber

Posted 18 hours ago

Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

On Thursday the Cowboys parted ways with veteran defensive end Anthony Hargrove. Was I shocked by this move being that he was signed just a few short weeks ago? No, not at all. There is never any harm in taking a look at players especially when it cost you nothing to do it. Hargrove was a player that had some success in the 4-3 scheme with the Saints so to take a chance on a player that could potentially adding some depth to the position always makes sense.

My problem with Hargrove was he wasn’t in the best physical condition and it took him valuable practice time to get in shape, which didn’t allow the front office and coaches to fully evaluate him. If you are working with the strength staff instead of the defensive line coach, then we have a problem. This is something that I put on the player because this is your job, you have to be ready to go and he wasn’t. It wasn’t until the last mini-camp practice that I even noticed him and during that rep, he was limping after the play. From what I remembered about Hargrove is that he had some knee issues that weren’t major but it was something you always had to keep an eye on. The player wasn’t ready so the team moves on, smart football.

Which brings me to the position of defensive end and how it will be shaped when we all leave for Oxnard in July. The scout in me likes what I have seen so far from the depth at the position with Tyrone Crawford and Kyle Wilber but also keep an eye on Cameron Sheffield as well. Crawford has a real chance to make that rookie jump from what we had seen from him in 2012 to playing a significant role in this scheme. He looks stronger at the point, he doesn’t stay blocked and he still has that quickness when he played at a much lighter weight. It’s been fun to watch he and Ben Bass work together on the same side because they are both

relentless once they come off the ball.

Kyle Wilber has gone from a man without a position to a rangy, slippery, hand on the ground rusher. He had some outstanding battles with Tyron Smith where he got his butt kicked but he bounced back with some reps that put Smith on his heals as well. Wilber like Crawford added more bulk without losing quickness. Where I like Wilber in this scheme, it’s about getting up the field and he has a real feel for this. His technique is much better due to his work with Rod Marinelli and Leon Lett.

As this group sits at the defensive end, I believe it’s one of the strengths of this team. Ware and Spencer will thrive in this scheme and Crawford physically looks ready while Wilber looks as comfortable in the position as any time since he has been here. Coaches will always tell you it’s their job to put players in situations to make plays but it also helps to have talent and the way this group shapes up, it appears to have that.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Ooooooooooo! Some great battles with an OT who was nothing more than ok last year. And he put him on his heels a couple of times. What a fucking stud.

John Wilbur has arrived.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Ooooooooooo! Some great battles with an OT who was nothing more than ok last year. And he put him on his heels a couple of times. What a fucking stud.

John Wilbur has arrived.
Who is John Wilbur?

Top Bottom