Cowboys Use 2nd Round Tender on David Irving

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

These dumb asses are angling for a 2nd round pick for our best interior rusher.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
And they will congratulate themselves as geniuses if they get it because they signed him off a practice squad when he was an UDFA...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And they will congratulate themselves as geniuses if they get it because they signed him off a practice squad when he was an UDFA...
It is like a free draft pick!

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The sad part is, he's probably already out the door as an unrestricted free agent after this year anyway, given these circumstances.

In that case it's almost worth it to take the 2nd round tender.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Hopefully the extended time out with the concussion will keep any other teams from biting.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I had rather they tendered him at a first, but like Smitty said, this was most likely his last year here given all the contracts we have to get in place, so if we can get a second, so be it.

GShock

DCC 4Life
A team with multiple second rounders or any in the last 10-12 of the round would be smart to offer the pick and get him cheaper than he will be next year as a FA.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
How long do other teams have to make him an offer?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
How long do other teams have to make him an offer?
I think they can go right up until a few days before the draft. This could drag on for a while.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A team with multiple second rounders or any in the last 10-12 of the round would be smart to offer the pick and get him cheaper than he will be next year as a FA.
My guess is that no one will just because none of the trades this offseason have gone for much. What I've gleamed from the NFL today is that no one wants to give up premium picks for a guy who is on a one year deal. They all know that a guy like Irving will be there for a year and bolt for a massive contract.

My bigger concern is we still don't have a deal for Lawrence, Martin or Irving. So after this season we are going to be in a real bind to get long term deals done. We need to get some of this done now. And hell in the case of Martin and Lawrence it would probably free up some cap space if we did. It then at least gives us a fighting chance to keep a guy like Irving or at least have the option of franchising him if he puts together a monster 10 sack season. Which we all know he is capable of in this defense. Irving is actually the kind of guy I think you may need to keep motivated with one year deals like that. Lawrence and Martin I don't think so at all. They are pretty high character guys. Irving may not be which is why I'd like to sort of keep him on a shorter leash.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
What are the chances of getting a player as good as Irvin with a second round pick?

I would say NOT GOOD and I'm a fan of Will McClay, but the odds would be against the GOAT GM to accomplish it.

One, Irvin is really fucking good, and two, draft is too much of a crap shoot.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are the chances of getting a player as good as Irvin with a second round pick?

I would say NOT GOOD and I'm a fan of Will McClay, but the odds would be against the GOAT GM to accomplish it.

One, Irvin is really fucking good, and two, draft is too much of a crap shoot.
I agree and especially true in this draft. I'm not sure even with a first round pick in this draft that you could find a guy like David Irving. Hurst was the best bet and now with his heart condition I wouldn't take him in the first round. A legit 10 sack DT is just really difficult to find. And yes since he had 7 sacks in only 8 games last year I'm assuming he can be a 10 sack guy if he even plays the majority of the season.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, Irving looks like a huge find. But for some reason we seem really reluctant to keep him here long term.

Don't know if it's a political thing (he was apparently one of the leading voices of the flag protest in Dallas), a salary cap thing (we just have too many other upcoming contracts to dole out, including Lawrence, Martin, Elliott and Prescott), or some other weird locker room thing (there's rumors that he is a bit of a problem and there are questions about the whole sitting out the end of the season).

I dunno.

But it just seems like they are saying, "We aren't investing in this guy long term." I mean, they hand out megadeals to Tyrone Crawford like it's candy, but Irving who has been a real difference maker can't get a commitment. It's odd. I would cut Crawford today to make room for Irving's deal next year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But it just seems like they are saying, "We aren't investing in this guy long term." I mean, they hand out megadeals to Tyrone Crawford like it's candy, but Irving who has been a real difference maker can't get a commitment. It's odd. I would cut Crawford today to make room for Irving's deal next year.
This is part of the problem with the Cowboys too. They can never seem to look past the upcoming season. Crawford for example if we cut him now would only create 1.8 mil in cap room. So the Cowboys don't view him worth cutting. But what we really save is the 6 mil in base salary we are paying him this year to be a backup. That's the actual cost. And getting his 9.1 mil off the books for next year would be extremely helpful. But Dallas can't ever seem to look past the up coming season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah this feels like a mistake.
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure they are hoping for a second round pick. I think part of it is they are trying to pinch pennies and save the extra 1.5 mil if they can. But it's definitely a risk because if a team comes in with a legit offer for the guy we are screwed basically. And then we are back to hoping Collins can be our three technique. And I think he can be a solid 3 technique but Irving has elite ability for the position when he is on the field.

Top Bottom