User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Watkins: The Cowboys donít have an elite receiver anymore. How much does that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by ravidubey View Post
    Illusion without a stronger defense, and the Rams front office knew it and got A LOT better, unless you subscribe to the sbk idiocy that adding two elite CBs makes no difference.

We did jack shit to improve defensively. We are homerifically pinning hopes on a DB coach and our 1st round pick while choosing to ignore losses like Scandrick and Hitchens because, y’know, because.

Meanwhile our QB took a step sideways and back last year, our RB peaked as a rookie, and we have a collection of league castoffs and never-was’es at WR. We’re pinning hopes on a rookie OG and rookie 3rd round WR, and 4th round rookie TE.

Those are some bad holes where you could have Bill Parcells and Bill Billichick coaching and not have a chance at three playoff games in a row vs QBs like Brees or Rodgers or defenses like Minny or Philly.

And we STILL have Jason Garrett on top of it! We are staring 8-8 in the face.
    Yea, I mean my point is that with top-flight coaching we could easily win 10 or 11 games, maybe even 12 with the roster we have. Instead I think we'll probably be somewhere between 8-10 because I have no faith in the coaching staff.

There are clearly holes on the roster that make it ridiculous to think this is a true championship contender but enough is there to be a 10 win playoff team.

2. The following user likes this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ravidubey View Post
    We did jack shit to improve defensively. We are homerifically pinning hopes on a DB coach and our 1st round pick while choosing to ignore losses like Scandrick and Hitchens because, y’know, because..
    Um you mean like drafting a first round LBer? Or drafting 2 high end corners the year before and moving Jones to corner? Not that Scandrick is a loss, he didn't do anything good last year. But this team is all about building through the draft. They actually have things pretty well planned out there. They've even managed to draft guys in advance so they are ready to step up.

You severely underrate the talent of this defense. There is a ton of young talent on that side of the ball. They aren't Jags stacked but they are built the right way outside of a true NT.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    Um you mean like drafting a first round LBer? Or drafting 2 high end corners the year before and moving Jones to corner? Not that Scandrick is a loss, he didn't do anything good last year. But this team is all about building through the draft. They actually have things pretty well planned out there. They've even managed to draft guys in advance so they are ready to step up.

You severely underrate the talent of this defense. There is a ton of young talent on that side of the ball. They aren't Jags stacked but they are built the right way outside of a true NT.
    They have done very well through the draft, the problem is that you can't build exclusively through the draft, you have to dabble in free agency and we don't seem to view it as anything but bargain shopping for backups and low end/marginal starters.

Damn near half of the Eagles regulars last year were acquired through free agency, I feel good about Fleming as a 3rd OT and Hurns as a decent starting WR but you have to be able to sprinkle in a few impact free agents, not just nibble on the periphery.

5. The following user likes this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
    They have done very well through the draft, the problem is that you can't build exclusively through the draft, you have to dabble in free agency and we don't seem to view it as anything but bargain shopping for backups and low end/marginal starters.

Damn near half of the Eagles regulars last year were acquired through free agency, I feel good about Fleming as a 3rd OT and Hurns as a decent starting WR but you have to be able to sprinkle in a few impact free agents, not just nibble on the periphery.
    Yeah Hurns could be legit hit. But yeah the rest are valuable reserves at best. The good news is all the bargain hunting should finally have us with a bunch of cap next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    I go by what theyíve accomplished and not by what Iím hoping or projecting.

Every team has a draft class! You can be optimistic, but the heart and soul of this D is Sean Lee, and he just canít stay on the field.

Derek Barnett is a stud and could have gone higher in the draft. LVE was a settle pick, and canít touch Barnett. Iím not saying he wonít be good, but Barnett is already good. Biggest play in the Superbowl good.

Fletcher Cox is a stud. Sorry, but I take him over DLaw ten times out of ten. I can understand if you want to count up stats and sacks, but IMO you donít know football well if you take Lawrence over Cox.

Philly won the Superbowl because they were a very good defense before adding Barnett. Weíre hoping Lewis, Awuzie, Woods, and LVE become elite when theyíve shown no signs of it. Where are the consistent big plays or forced turnovers you expect from a top defense? NOT THERE YET (apologies for shouting). Theyíre good, sure, but everyone in the damned league is ďgoodĒ.

Graham forced the fumble that clinched the Super Bowl, not Barnett.

Barnett is legit for sure though, although I think Charlton could potentially end up not far off of his level of play if he can perfect his technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
    Graham forced the fumble that clinched the Super Bowl, not Barnett.

Barnett is legit for sure though, although I think Charlton could potentially end up not far off of his level of play if he can perfect his technique.
    There is definitely pedigree and potentially a lot to look forward to. I really liked our draft. Weíve not shown the veteran toughness and coaching to best develop it. I donít trust this team to do it.