2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So you want to have a "discussion" about topics you only want to talk about.

It was not an attack just wanted to know why you felt that way.
Nope. What you said still had nothing to do with what was being talked about. Try again.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I actually think it is less about race and more about the appeal of Trump to the average, hard working middle class American. I think the group that turned out in droves for him is probably that group that is typically hard working, but is seeing their way of life (and standard of living) degrading. In many cases, that ends up being rural white voters.

I'm guessing he is appealing to people in the energy industry and manufacturing in particular. The energy side I actually think will be a good thing, particularly coal, which the Democrats have been slowly killing for years, and is still a cheap source of energy for this country. Oil, I still think we should just get it wherever we can get it the cheapest. We have a lot here, we can get it when we need it, so buy it where it is cheap now. If the Saudis want to sell it cheaper than we can produce it, great, we'll buy from there and go get ours when prices go up or everybody else runs. I'm sure that is not what people who make their living in oil want to hear though.

Manufacturing though I think is a massively flawed premise. I'm sure people want to return to the age when we manufacture things here and Dad goes to work at the factory all day making good money. Those days are gone. If businesses can manufacture overseas, they will. If not, they'll just automate factories and the people working there will largely be college educated tech workers anyway. We're not going to make T-shirts, plastic widgets or shoes in this country anymore. Even things like iPhones don't really make sense to manufacture here. So Trump's plan is to limit the economic advantages of manufacturing overseas to what end? Either you end up producing massively overpriced goods domestically (since the average American factory worker isn't going to work for the price a Chinese one would) that you can't sell here and can't export because of the price or you invest to completely automate manufacturing and job creation is limited to a sector that doesn't support the large base that turned out to vote for him.
It boiled down to Hillary losing the rust belt. The trade stuff fried her.

townsend

Banned
I don't think this election really had much to do with BLM or cops getting shot. It was more about hate towards the establishment and Hillary. People are sick of a shitty economy that continue to get worse and worse. And I think they were open to trying something different. Hillary had the stank of the same old failure all over her. It's sort of like when your starting QB sucks, the backup is always the most popular guy. Because people would prefer the unknown to what they already know sucks.
I agree with most of this. I think people are very sick of the status quo in politics. I think the Clintons and Bushes may have spoiled establishment politics for a generation. I think it's glaringly obvious that Hillary hurt herself by trying to be a super moderate, I don't think anyone (other than her staunchest supporters) really thought Hillary would have changed anything. The selection of Tim Kaine as vice was the mistake that defined the the complete melba toast flavor of her entire campaign.

It's still hilarious to me that the rural folks decided that the prep school educated, real estate Prince from Manhattan that eats pizza with a knife and fork is voice of their people.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I am going to keep this simple.

Fuck you.

I'm tired of simple minded rhetoric that black people only voted for Barrack because he was black.

If you look at the the numbers this year the same could be said of the white vote who had never voted before.

And once again from all black people, sincerely.

Fuck you.

But thanks for finally laying you bigotry out for all to see.:flip
IT wasn't just blacks that voted for him because he was black, there were plenty of white folk that did the same thing. Getting the first black president elected made them feel better about the self loathing selves. You can get personally insulting all you want. President Obama got more black voters out than any candidate in history. Aside from people like Samuel Jackson saying it publicly, you can't tell me the 7-10% jump in the black vote was because people suddenly decided that those 2 elections were the years to educate themselves on issues and go out and vote, and then this year they became disinterested again when Hillary would have been Obama's 3rd term. I will sit here and tell you there were whites that voted against him simply because he was black. No denying it. But for you to say the opposite isn't true is ignorant of the information that is out there. Quit making it personal, it isn't. And BTW, it has nothing to do with bigotry, just calling it like the research indicates. Buck up buddy.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I think what he is insinuating at least is that the part of the black population who identifies as Democrat doesn't always make it out for every election. But when the first black President is running for office, some of those who would usually sit at home, were actually motivated to get off the couch and vote because they wanted to be part of something historic for the black community.

I have no idea if the numbers actually back that up though. You'd have to tell me if more black people voted in this election or in the past two elections.
I may have written it poorly, but this is what I meant. Thanks for saying it better than I did. But the fact is still the same. They were motivated to go by the color of their party's candidate. Happens on both sides of the color spectrum.

data

Forbes #1
I haven't heard the media mention this amongst all the fearmongerring, but even though Hillary lost, you can still tell your daughter she can be President. Hillary did win the popular vote.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's still hilarious to me that the rural folks decided that the prep school educated, real estate Prince from Manhattan that eats pizza with a knife and fork is voice of their people.

That's true, but to play Devil's advocate, FDR was pretty rich.

As for Hillary, I don't think it's that she ran as a moderate, I don't think most people really recognize those types of labels (and besides, while I agree Hillary is a moderate, I don't think she's ever really shaken the extreme liberal reputation among the general populace).

I think, as CRock alluded to, she was associated with Obama and status quo. I listen to the radio every day and for a couple months I've heard every day an ad narrated by Obama, trying to tell people what progress they've made in the past 8 years (citing healthcare, employment, etc.) and urging people to vote democrat and stay on the path.

I think they grossly underestimated how unhappy a lot of people are with that path.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Considering how high his approval rating is and has been, I think I would be shocked too if I were him.
I think approval ratings and polls are pretty useless. Easily manipulated numbers.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
About 2 and half hours to St Louis and about the same to Kansas City. Lake of the Ozarks is sort of an odd area. Small populations during winter and massive populations during summer. I guess Camden County is like 43,000.
Lake of the Ozarks is a really nice area.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Everything everyone has posted had to do with the election results but if you want to pull all of it together it was a matter of trust that was the underlying factor that made the difference in the two. People were willing to take a chance on Trump rather than putting someone in office that was proven to be dishonest and would probably tilt the Supreme Court to the right. In addition the only way to overturn some of the Obama programs was to have a republican President with a republican controlled Congress. That's what was at stake that would affect almost everyone.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Just saw a video on Fox News where some thugs beat a man senseless for voting for Trump. This madness has to be stopped and it will probably require violence.

D

Deuce

If this election taught us anything, it's to not put your trust in polls.
I agree, but there's a reason people have trusted them. They've always been pretty accurate. But the lesson to be learned is to spread out who they are actually polling for their info.

Not that I want to participate all that often, but nobody has ever asked people a poll about government. I have no idea where they get their responses from.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Likely. My only exposure is when the county fair comes around.

What's the population of the city you live in? How far is it from the nearest major metro area (guessing St.Louis)? Just curious. No agenda.

Agreed. I don't think race relations is the sole reason for the mobilization. We had a major recession in 2008. Major metro areas seemed to have recovered, but not everyone. Hillary got pulled into Trump's game and didn't set a clear economic recovery agenda. Essentially, her campaign predominantly was "don't vote for that crass bigot."

It's just that TV depicts blacks as protesting shitastic everyday life like every white person was living the life of luxury and rural whites were looking around and saying, "hey, things aren't rosy here, either."
Very good point.

Jiggyfly

Banned
IT wasn't just blacks that voted for him because he was black, there were plenty of white folk that did the same thing. Getting the first black president elected made them feel better about the self loathing selves. You can get personally insulting all you want. President Obama got more black voters out than any candidate in history. Aside from people like Samuel Jackson saying it publicly, you can't tell me the 7-10% jump in the black vote was because people suddenly decided that those 2 elections were the years to educate themselves on issues and go out and vote, and then this year they became disinterested again when Hillary would have been Obama's 3rd term. I will sit here and tell you there were whites that voted against him simply because he was black. No denying it. But for you to say the opposite isn't true is ignorant of the information that is out there. Quit making it personal, it isn't. And BTW, it has nothing to do with bigotry, just calling it like the research indicates. Buck up buddy.
Nice try on trying to clean it up.

But your bigoted comments were plain to see.

And you made it personal and I will continue the same.

Fuck you.:flip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom