Dane Brugler's seven-round Cowboys mock draft starts off with Dallas picking offense in Round 1

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Dane Brugler's seven-round Cowboys mock draft starts off with Dallas picking offense in Round 1
David Goldman/AP

Alabama's Calvin Ridley celebrates his touchdown catch during the second half of the NCAA college football playoff championship game against Georgia Monday, Jan. 8, 2018, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

By Dane Brugler , NFL Draft Analyst Contact Dane Brugleron Twitter:mad:dpbrugler

With the compensatory picks awarded and coin flips done, we now know the full seven-round order for the 2018 NFL draft.

A lot will happen between now and April with free agency quickly approaching. But with how things stand right now, here is a realistic look at how Dallas' 10 draft picks could play out:

1 (19) - Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

Alabama wide receiver Calvin Ridley runs a drill during the NFL football scouting combine, Saturday, March 3, 2018, in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings)
Darron Cummings/AP

Talking with scouts at the combine, I would put the odds at 50-50 that Ridley will be available for the Cowboys at pick No. 19. The top three on the Dallas wide receiver depth chart (Dez Bryant, Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley) hasn't changed the last five years and the position is overdue for an upgrade. Ridley can be a starter from Day 1, and his presence will provide immediate relief for Dak Prescott.

2 (50) - Josey Jewell, MLB, Iowa

Iowa linebacker Josey Jewell runs a drill at the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis, Sunday, March 4, 2018. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)
Michael Conroy/AP

The answer for the Cowboys' linebacker woes could be to replace one former Hawkeye with another. With Anthony Hitchens expected to sign elsewhere in free agency, Jewell would be a plug-and-play Mike linebacker, pushing Jaylon Smith at his more natural Sam and keeping Sean Lee at the Will. Lee was pick No. 55 overall in 2010, and Jewell could provide a similar impact for the next decade.

3 (81) - Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana

Indiana tight end Ian Thomas runs a drill during the NFL football scouting combine, Saturday, March 3, 2018, in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings)
Darron Cummings/AP

With Jason Witten turning 36 years old this May, it would be wise for the Cowboys to draft and develop a possible successor. Thomas is still raw in several areas, but he has starter (and star) potential with his balanced athleticism and developing strength.

4 (116) - Foley Fatukasi, DT, Connecticut

Connecticut defensive lineman Foley Fatukasi runs a drill at the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis, Sunday, March 4, 2018. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)
Michael Conroy/AP

With the likely outcome that the Cowboys bypass nose tackle in the first round, Fatukasi is one of several worthy options in rounds two through four. The former UConn nose has the stubborn power to reset the line of scrimmage and the hands to two-gap.

4 (137) - Joshua Kalu, FS, Nebraska

Nebraska defensive back Joshua Kalu makes a catch as he runs a drill at the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis, Monday, March 5, 2018. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)
Michael Conroy/AP

A former cornerback, Kalu moved to safety and was at his best as a "big" nickel defender, covering tight ends and providing versatility in the secondary.

5 (171) - Darrel Williams, RB, LSU

LSU running back Darrel Williams eases up after running the 40-yard dash at the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis, Friday, March 2, 2018. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)
Michael Conroy/AP

Although he was stuck in the shadows of Leonard Fournette and Derrius Guice in Baton Rouge, Williams has the traits to be a quality third-down back in the NFL.

5 (173) - Ade Aruna, DE, Tulane

Tulane defensive lineman Ade Aruna runs a drill at the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis, Sunday, March 4, 2018. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)
Michael Conroy/AP

A former basketball recruit, Aruna is still rough around the edges, but with his frame and raw athleticism, he is a blank canvas for coaches.

6 (193) - Nick Gates, OT, Nebraska

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - MARCH 01: Nebraska offensive lineman Nick Gates speaks to the media during NFL Combine press conferences at the Indiana Convention Center on March 1, 2018 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)
Joe Robbins/Getty Images

A college left tackle, Gates projects best inside at the next level. He requires time to develop his strength and technique, but his body control and mean streak make him an appealing development option.

6 (208) - Joel Iyiegbuniwe, OLB, Western Kentucky

Western Kentucky linebacker Joel Iyiegbuniwe runs the 40-yard dash at the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis, Sunday, March 4, 2018. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)
Michael Conroy/AP

A see-ball, get-ball athlete, Iyiegbuniwe is at his best in space where he can flow-and-hunt. He will earn a roster spot if he cuts down on the mistakes.

7 (236) - Chase Litton, QB, Marshall

Marshall quarterback Chase Litton throws during a drill at the NFL football scouting combine, Saturday, March 3, 2018, in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings)
Darron Cummings/AP

A physically gifted quarterback, Litton isn't ready for NFL snaps anytime soon, but a year of development on the practice squad will help.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I pretty much love this draft although I wonder if the LBer is a bit of a reach.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Chase Litton. :picard

A guy who will look like Troy Aikman one series and Babe Laughenberg the next.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Chase Litton. :picard

A guy who will look like Troy Aikman one series and Babe Laughenberg the next.
I watched a video with his highlights. He has the most amazing set of receivers I've ever seen. Those poor bastards were forced to make the most acrobatic catches you will ever see because the guy has horrible accuracy and throws up contested balls all of the place. But hey, 7th round and stuff.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Litton is also an idiot.

He missed one game because of an injured shoulder.

Rumor was that his TE, Ryan Yurachek, whom I would much rather gamble a 7th on, body slammed him though their coffee table because he was smoking pot again.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I watched a video with his highlights. He has the most amazing set of receivers I've ever seen. Those poor bastards were forced to make the most acrobatic catches you will ever see because the guy has horrible accuracy and throws up contested balls all of the place. But hey, 7th round and stuff.

That's a really bad highlight reel...

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
If Ridley is the BPA, then fine. But since I’m not a fan of any WRs this year, I’d still look at other positions in the 1st round and look for a WR in the 2nd or 3rd since the dropoff is minimal.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
If Ridley is the BPA, then fine. But since I’m not a fan of any WRs this year, I’d still look at other positions in the 1st round and look for a WR in the 2nd or 3rd since the dropoff is minimal.
I agree. To me it just makes more sense to take one of the better guards, safeties, lb's, or dt's in the first. I really think we can find a solid WR in the third or later.
IMO Ridley ,or any other receiver, would be a foolish move at #19.

Top Bottom