Sturm: Cowboys Draft Digest: Volume 5 – Edges & Linebackers

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys Draft Digest: Volume 5 – Edges & Linebackers

By Bob Sturm 3 hours ago

Each week during the buildup to the NFL Draft, we will take a look at around 5 prospects at a given position. The hope is to cover all of the potential candidates at what we perceive as the Cowboys' positions of greatest need in Rounds 1-3, using about 200 snaps of the most recent college tape from each of the prospects. I am certainly not an NFL scout, but I have found over the years that much can be learned from giving each player a couple hours and really studying how he might fit at the next level. With a little luck, we will be plenty familiar with the options when the draft arrives in late April.

We are plowing through the defense as best as we can, trying to find pieces that can help improve a defense immediately for the first few rounds. I am trying to do these in multiples of five, but the groups won't always divide by that number, so this week we'll begin with a few more edge guys before moving on to the run-and-hit linebackers who do not necessarily offer a real pass rush component, outside of an occasional blitz.

The Cowboys are in a very interesting spot at the LB position. They have several Linebackers in whom they have invested heavily, but must sort out how they feel about Sean Lee's health and role, Jaylon Smith's health and role, Anthony Hitchens' contract (if they can offer him one), and how they want to continue to use (or not use) Kyle Wilber and Damien Wilson in their actual defense (rather than special teams). Added to all of this uncertainty is the addition of Seattle's 2015-2017 defensive coordinator, Kris Richard. We don't fully know what he has been promised and what level of authority he has been given to change the scheme here, so we will know more as information slips out.

With that potential change comes the real possibility that the Cowboys will use three linebackers much more than they did in 2017. Seattle deployed that look on several hundred more occasions than Dallas did last year, with Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright averaging over 1,000 snaps apiece. In Dallas, only Sean Lee exceeded 600 (at 622), so they have a bit of a need here. Especially if their depth chart loses the very valuable Anthony Hitchens. It's in their best interests that Hitchens sticks around, and it does seem like they are doing everything they can to convince him to stay. If that doesn't work, the Cowboys will move LB right up the list of needs. You can count on that.

We'll look at the red meat in that category after we start with a few more edge rushers this week:

Duke Ejiofor — Wake Forest — 6-4 — 264

Positives: If you are looking for a player who looks like a beast coming off the right edge of your defensive line with attributes that indicate that he might be a real edge rush weapon in the years to come, I might draw your attention to this man with the incredibly long arms from Wake Forest. They measured in at 34 7/8 inches – there was not a single defensive lineman with a wider reach at the NFL Combine this weekend. Ejiofor closes down with violence and can really flash at times, compelling you to think he is one of the most under-rated prospects in this group. I think his spin move and some of his other tricks – including the ability to win with his hands, whet the appetite for more. His last two years at Wake Forest were quite productive, as he wound up with 17 sacks, 31.5 Tackles for loss and 6 forced fumbles. There is plenty to like.

Ejiofor (#53) explodes around the left tackle with hand usage and a bend that is terrifying.

Concerns: The concerns would be that he might not be quite the explosive athlete that others are at his spot. As you evaluate him, it becomes clear that he wears down quite a bit as games go along. Granted – in college, these players are occasionally not part of a rotation, but near-full-time participants. We also know that 80 snaps are not out of the question in a college game. If he gets reeled back to 40 at the NFL, he might be able to maintain his explosiveness. He is not great against the run at all, tending to lose leverage battles. His change of direction does not appear elite for an edge rusher.

Overall: I would say he is quite good in most categories, rather than great in any of them. He also has some versatility as Wake would move him inside at times to rush out of the nickel at DT. When you aren't sure about a player, the first question is often about his motor and whether he's playing as hard as he can. I like Ejiofor on that basis. There is nothing more valuable in this league on defense than the ability to whip a left tackle on an important passing situation and I would have no issue saying Duke is a guy I would snag in ROUND TWO if he is available. There are questions in his game, but overall, I like a lot of what I see.

Ejiofor (#53) attacks the over-set to the outside of the tackle, swats him away, and then pounces.

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo — Oklahoma — 6-1, 253 – 4.77

Positives: Oklahoma's defense was not much to write home about in 2017, but if there was one player that repeatedly jumped off the screen – especially in those biggest games – it was Okoronkwo. He was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year because of this productivity on the biggest stages and his ability to rush the passer with a motor that wouldn't stop and a relentless spirit that would not be denied. The biggest question here is his NFL fit – is he a Linebacker or a straight edge rusher? Okoronkwo lines up plenty off the ball, has violent hands and strong edge work. He arrives with force and really can cause havoc and find the ball. His work against Ohio State alone is enough to believe he has a real future on Sundays. He was a very impressive player on a unimpressive defensive unit.

Okoronkwo (#31) has many plus attributes, but his absurd motor and work rate is incredible.

Concerns: Finding the perfect role will be the issue, as well as questions about whether he is a “tweener,” which would put him between the ideal size for a DE and the ideal movement skills of a LB on Sundays. At 4.77, he will go against many NFL LBs who can run well under a 4.6, but he makes up for a lot with his ability to read plays and use technique to close down at the point of attack. If he is a LB, he will need to disengage and shed a little more consistently at the next level. If he is purely an edge rusher, he'd provide less value as a part-time player. He has to go to the right scheme.

Overall: Again, this position – more than many – depends on being relentless and realizing how crucial it is to make an explosive splash play and end a drive. On that, I would have no issue with Okoronwko finding another level at big moments. He needed a strong Senior Bowl and was able to excel there, too. I know he may not have the highest ceiling, but at a certain price he would be a fine addition. I would feel good midway through ROUND TWO.

Okoronkwo (#31) often attacks the edge off a 2-point stance the suggests best fit as OLB in a 3-4.

Roquan Smith — Georgia — 6-1, 236 – 4.52

Positives: Very few prospects have caught as much attention from “draft people” as Roquan Smith this past season. He is a marquee name in college football, proving himself as SEC Defensive Player of the Year and winning the Butkus Award. He is a sideline-to-sideline force of nature in the vein of a young Luke Kuechly, with both the vision to see what is about to happen and the tools to do something about it against the fastest NFL threats. Anticipation allows certain players to play faster than they really are. But if you find a player who is actually already one of the fastest on the field and processes faster than others, you have something potentially elite. Smith's diagnosis is fantastic and his ability to “see it and go” is off the charts. He is not the perfect player, but there are some things that suggest he might be near the top of this entire draft.

I have a hard time deciding whether I prefer Roquan's (#3) ability to read the play or chase it down.

Concerns: The balance you always try to strike: Can a linebacker manage to maintain that sweet spot of elite speed without being run over inside? There are times where Smith appears to be no match for guards getting to the next level, and he might not be strong enough at the point of attack against inside runs at the next level. He doesn't try to take blocks on, he tries to elude them. In theory, this makes a lot of sense, but if he is a middle linebacker, you need him to meet these challenges head-on sometimes. That is why finding his correct role – most likely as a “Will” – might be the best fit.

Overall: He runs like you wouldn't believe and seems more than capable of reading a plan and destroying your ideas in a demoralizing way. He closes on the blitz at an incredible pace, too. He is a force and a QB destroyer if he gets in your backfield. Any lateral play has no chance and he appears to be designed as the new-era LB with the smarts to not be deceived. I started this process with him as one of my favorites and have not found any real reason to change my mind A strong ROUND ONE prospect with the Top 10 being virtually assured.

Smith (#3) mirrors the ball with fantastic anticipation and beats the carrier to the corner.

Tremaine Edmunds — Virginia Tech — 6-4, 253 – 4.54

Positives: Edmunds is one the most interesting names in this draft. He's an unreal physical specimen who will be 19 years old on his draft day. And yes, that draft day will surely be on Day One – he is not going to last long. He is a giant at a position where most do not exceed 240 lbs anymore because they need elite speed to to handle the demands of the NFL. Edmunds is the exception because he can run a ridiculous 4.54 40-yard dash at his size. He has been quite productive in these last two seasons for the Hokies, with 30.5 TFL and 10 sacks from a spot where he isn't rushing very often. He is a terror between the numbers and can move very well.

The size of Edmunds (#49) combined with his speed make him a very scary prospect.

Concerns: He is just 19 years old, so much of his future lies in projection. I will confess that this position – the Mike LB – is one for me where the ability to key and diagnose is as vital as anything short of Quarterback. In this department, I have some real concerns about how many incorrect reads I saw in the 4 games I studied. He was often the victim of deception, whether it be a play-action or some misdirection to hope that he “eats the cheese” in the trap. Edmunds, for all of his physical talents, seemed to often fall for this deception. Is that something he will grow out of? Is it something that his traits can overcome? Is he determined to be the student of the game that his position requires? I feel uncertain due to his age, but I did not like his ability to read the game in 2017.

Overall: If you want a destroyer, a player whose combination of size, speed, and strength look like they were taken from a movie, I would argue that you can stop your search here. His highlights are absolutely wonderful. I don't think I like him as much as the consensus, as I have seen him in the top 5 of some draft lists, whereas I want my players at this position to be the sharpest knives in my defensive drawer. Again, when a player is this young, it feels like his grade is a projection, and his coaching and development will be important to the complete player we see when he is 23. I may live to regret this, but I have him down a notch or two. ROUND ONE-TWO for me, even though the traits are clearly among the top 20 players.

Edmunds (#49) becomes a heat-seeker in the open field and ends plays that he locks on.

Rashaan Evans — Alabama — 6-2, 232

Positives: If one school is known for continuously putting linebackers in the NFL, it's Alabama. Rashaan Evans is the latest model off the conveyor belt. He has a lot of interesting skills, including some pass-rushing aptitude and an ability to cover guys in the slot. You don't often see those two things going hand in hand, but if you want your LB to cover little guys and occasionally whip tackles to get to the QB, you can understand where he is on some boards. He sees the game well and diagnoses plays well, but you always have to weigh the role of playing with so many studs on that defense versus what the player is accomplishing on his own. He throws his body around pretty well and has the perfect frame for the NFL evolution at this position. He is very intelligent and also has quite a mean streak about him. He can really arrive with authority at the spot where you need him.

Evans (#32) can do many things you want – starting with that A-Gap blitz destruction.

Concerns: He may not be the best off-ball linebacker available and we will need to see his movement skill testing at his pro day. Aside from that, he's fairly clear of potential issues aside from the normal concerns about the high-mileage patterns of Nick Saban's linebackers. Evans suffered some injuries in his past but also has demonstrated that he is not afraid of playing with some parts of his body hurting. He is a very tough kid.

Overall: Whereas Edmunds is a project with a sky-high ceiling and low floor, Evans is the type of guy with which you'd have to accept a lower ceiling and higher floor. He is a safer player and more ready to affect things immediately. He has a real mind for the game and again, has been matched up against slots in that Alabama defense and held his own. This utility and the pass rush does push him into the back half of ROUND ONE for me. I think he will have a fine career.

Sometimes you might want your LB to take on the block, other times, slip him and tackle.

Next week, we will wrap up a few more linebackers and then move over to the defensive backs. There is no question we will have 50-60 of these players figured out by the time the draft stage in Arlington has been assembled in a month and a half.

Top Bottom