User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Davison: Cowboys' RB Ezekiel Elliott welcomes heavy workload going into 2018

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar

Davison: Cowboys' RB Ezekiel Elliott welcomes heavy workload going into 2018

Feed Zeke: Cowboys' RB Ezekiel Elliott welcomes heavy workload going into 2018
    BY DREW DAVISON
    June 14, 2018 01:39 PM

The "Feed Zeke" mindset isnít going to change for the Dallas Cowboys.

Thatís more than OK with running back Ezekiel Elliott, of course.

"Iím all for it, you know what I mean?Ē Elliott said as the Cowboys wrapped up minicamp on Thursday.

"A lot is asked from the running back for the Dallas Cowboys, a lot has been asked for me the past two seasons, and I think Iíve had some great strides this offseason getting ready to carry that workload this season."

Running backs coach Gary Brown made it clear that Elliott will be relied upon heavily, particularly early on with an unproven cast of receivers. But this isnít a change in philosophy by the Cowboys.

Elliott has been the focal point since joining the organization as the fourth overall pick in 2016. He led the NFL in rushing his rookie season, and was off to another strong start last season before serving a six-game suspension in the middle of it for violating the leagueís personal conduct policy.

How much did the Cowboys rely on Elliott? They put the ball in his hands 39 percent of the time on offense.

Elliott combined for 268 touches (242 rushes and 26 receptions) of the 691 offensive snaps during the 10 games he played. That number could increase this season.

As Brown retold what he said to Elliott, ďCome in and be in the best shape of your life. Be ready to get a lot of carries early. It is going to be a situation where defenses are going to try to stop us. They are going to try their best, but they are not going to be able to.Ē

Elliott, who turns 23 next month, is carrying that same mindset into Year 3. He expects to have a standout season, but wasnít going to publicly state any particular rushing numbers heíd like to put up.

"Weíre just going to go in with the goal of winning the next game," Elliott said. "Itís not really about that bigger picture yet. Right now, itís so early weíre just focusing on developing that camaraderie and getting ready for camp."

Elliott will spend this five-week break until training camp by taking some time off, but staying engaged with his teammates and his workout routine. He is trying to become more of a leader for the team and has discussed with quarterback Dak Prescott the importance of getting the offensive playmakers together between now and camp.

"We have a lot of young receivers and guys with a lot of skill that donít have much experience in the pros, so I think if they want to make the impact they could make this season, then theyíre going to have to come and work these next five weeks," Elliott said. "Itís going to be important for us to put in some work these next five weeks."

Elliottís leadership has been on display during these offseason workouts with him being more vocal during drills. Then, on Thursday, coach Jason Garrett had Elliott lead the team in stretches at the beginning of practice.

Elliott said heís becoming more comfortable in a leadership role.

"Itís a little bit tougher for me to be a vocal leader," he said. "I like to go out there and work. I think it takes a little bit more extra effort to kind of encourage guys to come with you, so itís definitely something I had to work on."

Said wide receiver Cole Beasley: "I know heís saying that, but I already feel like heís been a vocal leader for us. Maybe he feels like he needs to improve, but I feel like heís done a good job of that and been there for all of his guys. I donít really think he needs to improve on it. I think heís done a good job all along."
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Gotta mix his carries up. Zeke runs hard and gets beat up. Heís not the electrifying runner who entertains with moves and quickness. Zeke does it the hard, hard way.

Scarbrough can handle 8-10 carries a game, they just have to find times to peel some carries off here and there for him.

Save the 25-30 carry games for Elliott when we really need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
    Scarbrough can handle 8-10 carries a game, they just have to find times to peel some carries off here and there for him.

Statement games and the playoffs. The real way to reduce Zekeís carries is to pass more. Dak has to grow, period.

The coaches will never trust other RBs otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by ravidubey View Post
    Gotta mix his carries up. Zeke runs hard and gets beat up. He’s not the electrifying runner who entertains with moves and quickness. Zeke does it the hard, hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    Yeah Zeke is actually pretty elusive for a big guy. He doesn't just find defenders and try to run them over.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    Yeah Zeke is actually pretty elusive for a big guy. He doesn't just find defenders and try to run them over.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post

If Scarbrough makes the team .

Quote Originally Posted by p1_ View Post
    If Scarbrough makes the team .
    If you count Austin as a RB I think you need 4 RBs. If you count him as a WR then probably only 3. I think Scarbrough is the easy favorite for that third RB spot (or fourth) but if someone else beats him out awesome. I don't think you can afford to go only 2 RBs with the amount of runs we want in this offense.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Jackson beat out Scarbrough.