Cowboys place franchise tag on Demarcus Lawrence

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Cowboys place franchise tag on Demarcus Lawrence

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: March 5, 2018 at 01:28 p.m. Updated: March 5, 2018 at 04:54 p.m.

The Dallas Cowboys have yet to reach an agreement on a long-term contract with Demarcus Lawrence, but the fearsome pass rusher isn't hitting the open market.

The Cowboys franchise tagged Lawrence on Monday, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

"We won't let D-Law not be a Dallas Cowboy next year. We'll get that straight right now," Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said last month, per Dave Helman of the team's official website. "We'll do everything we can to try to make something work, and if we don't get it done then we'll franchise tag him. Then we'll go back to work. We'd like to not have that franchise tag hanging out there. We've got a big negotiation ahead of us. But we don't want Demarcus Lawrence going anywhere."

Lawrence compiled 14.5 sacks in 2017, second-most in the NFL. The game-wrecking defensive end was an early candidate for Defensive Player of the Year after earning 10.5 sacks in the first seven games of the season.

Sides have until July 16 to work out a long-term contract or Lawrence will play under the one-year tender for around $17 million.

Lawrence told NFL.com during the Pro Bowl he wasn't worried about getting hit with the franchise tag.

"Franchise not bad. Contract not bad," the 25-year-old said at the time. "So, like I said, I'm not worrying about nothing. I'll leave it up to my agent; he'll take care of me."

Pelissero reported last month Lawrence's team is seeking a deal of at least the $17 million price tag that Olivier Vernon got from the Giants two years ago. Vernon and Lawrence share the same agent -- David Canter.

The Cowboys guaranteed their defense would bring back one heat-seeking pass rusher. Now the team needs to work on surrounding their franchise player with a consistent complementary piece heading to 2018.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
DeMarcus Lawrence signs franchise tender
Posted by Josh Alper on March 5, 2018, 8:04 PM EST

Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell has talked about sitting out the season if — it’s looking more like when — the team uses the franchise tag on him for the second straight year, but Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence doesn’t seem to have any objection to the tag.

Lawrence’s agent David Canter announced on Monday evening that Lawrence has signed the tender for a one-year deal. With the salary cap for the 2018 season set, we now know that Lawrence will make $17.143 million if he plays out the year under the terms of the tag.

Lawrence and the Cowboys can also continue to talk about a deal that would run beyond the 2018 season. The deadline to get such a deal done isn’t until July 16, which leaves plenty of time for those conversations to take place.

Lawrence is one of three players to receive the franchise tag so far this offseason. We’ll find out any others before Tuesday’s deadline to put the tag in place.

Top Bottom