User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: TO refuses hall of fame appearance/acceptance

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Khan View Post
    Yeah, this is wrong in every respect. Irvin was as big a WR as there was back then and he was money on the slant. He'd have killed it in a West coast offense.
    Hell, it could be argued that the slant was his most dangerous route.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ravidubey View Post
    Timing-based WCO? You know, the fucking 1990ís Cowboys offense??

No. It was nothing like the WCO. No matter how offended you get.

Don Coryell, father of the WCO

4. The following user likes this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pdom View Post
    Don Coryell, father of the WCO
    No, no. Bill Walsh is the father of the regular ol' run of the mill WCO. Apparently, Don Coryell is the father of the timing-based WCO.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Quote Originally Posted by NoDak View Post
    No, no. Bill Walsh is the father of the regular ol' run of the mill WCO. Apparently, Don Coryell is the father of the timing-based WCO.

Quote Originally Posted by ravidubey View Post
    Timing-based WCO? You know, the fucking 1990ís Cowboys offense??
    It's been a couple days now, Ravi. Don't just leave us hanging. I think we'd all like to hear your take on how our 90's offense was a timing based West Coast Offense.

It's been a couple days now, Ravi. Don't just leave us hanging. I think we'd all like to hear your take on how our 90's offense was a timing based West Coast Offense.
    I guess you didn't know. Thought you were kidding.

There are two most famous schools of WCO, each Ohio-originated offenses one by Paul Brown and Bill Walsh and another by Sid Gillman who passed it on through osmosis to Don Coryell, Joe Gibbs, and Ernie Zampese in San Diego. The latter taught their version to Norv Turner when he was with the Rams. Back in the day, Gillman worked with Brown at OSU, and each took a different path. Gillman emphasized timing and vertical routes to spread the defense and Brown did the same with QB sprints and short passes.

There is a third "WCO" coached by Jack Elway and Dennis Erickson at Stanford.

All were called WCO because each was made famous in the 1980's on the West Coast.

I'm not buying it.

Just because 40 years ago people may have referred to it as a WCO, once the name was tagged on Bill Walsh's offense, NOBODY would ever mistake the two offenses. They are completely, and fundamentally different from one another.

You ask somebody today to name Bill Walsh's offense, and to name Don Coryell's offense, and 99.9999999999999999% of the time you will hear they are the WCO and Air Coryell, respectively.

I'm not buying it.

Just because 40 years ago people may have referred to it as a WCO, once the name was tagged on Bill Walsh's offense, NOBODY would ever mistake the two offenses. They are completely, and fundamentally different from one another.

You ask somebody today to name Bill Walsh's offense, and to name Don Coryell's offense, and 99.9999999999999999% of the time you will hear they are the WCO and Air Coryell, respectively.
    You asked! And those folks don't know crap. Air Coryell was just one version of the timing-based WCO. There is no timing-based version of Bill Walsh's offense.

Even Bernie Kosar referred to the Cowboys offense as the WCO when he came to Dallas in 1993.

Why do you think I called it the timing-based WCO? This offense has won seven Superbowls by my count and it has a serious tree, AFL, San Diego State, 70-80's San Diego Chargers, 80's Washington, 80's Rams, 90's Cowboys, 90-00's Rams, our offense since 2007, and probably a bunch of others I've missed.

We tried (and failed) to be a WCO when Paul Hackett was the offensive coordinator in the late 80's.