2018 NFL combine results: Josh Allen, D.J. Chark, Christian Kirk shine on workout day

lostxn

DCC 4Life
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-combine-results-josh-allen-d-j-chark-christian-kirk-shine-on-workout-day/

INDIANAPOLIS -- Saturday marks the biggest day at the 2018 NFL combine, with the marquee group of quarterbacks taking the field to show off their arms, and the wide receivers and tight ends working out.

Getting all but one of the top signal-callers throwing in Indianapolis was quite the treat for everyone in attendance.

The defensive linemen and linebackers are meeting with the media, and the defensive backs weighed in early in the morning.

Here are my biggest takeways from the workouts for the quarterbacks and wide receivers.

QB winners
Josh Allen, Wyoming. Allen ran an official 4.75 40-yard dash, which was the third-fastest time among the quarterbacks. In the throwing drills, he was slow in his drops on a few reps but let it rip often, particularly on the out-breaking routes and didn't have the same accuracy problems we saw at the Senior Bowl. I didn't love his deep-ball touch, yet he was surprisingly accurate at the short and intermediate levels. In general, the combine is an event made for Allen.

QB losers
Luke Falk, Washington State. Erratic on a variety of his passes, Falk needed to show pinpoint accuracy to counter any concerns about his lesser arm and the gadget system he operated in college. Instead, he really struggled with ball location.

(Important note on the rest of the quarterbacks: Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, and Mason Rudolph made accurate passes at all levels of the field but all had some bad misfires. Relatively equal performance from that group.)

WR winners
D.J. Chark, LSU. The nearly 6-foot-3 wideout blazed in the 40, running the fastest time (4.34) on the day. He had a 40-inch vertical too. And Chark weighed in at 199 pounds, so you're looking at a rather large, explosive speedster. Expect Chark to rise up boards, and he could be looking at a second-round selection.

D.J. Moore, Maryland. Jumping 39.5 inches in the vertical and having an 11-foot broad jump at 210 pounds will turn some heads. That's exactly what the former Maryland star did on Saturday. He ran 4.42 in the 40-yard dash as well. Moore's a quick-twitch, make-you-miss wideout and clearly is an explosive athlete.

Christian Kirk, Texas A&M. An official 4.47 40 at 201 pounds is a stellar time for Kirk, one of the most physically impressive smaller wideouts in this class. During the on-field portion, he had no issues reeling in the football, and his routes had little-to-no wasted movement.

Allen Lazard, Iowa State. Lazard, who shined at the Senior Bowl, ran 4.55 at nearly 6-foot-5 and 225 pounds. He also had a 38-inch vertical. Talk about a size and speed specimen.

Antonio Callaway, Florida. Off-the-field issues will stay with Callaway during the pre-draft process, but he helped himself at the combine. He ran an official 4.41, the second-fastest time of his group, and had a 38.5-inch vertical. Good figures for a prospect billed as a speedster.

Tre'Quan Smith, UCF. On film, Smith is a springy athlete with great concentration in contested-catch situations and impressive agility after the catch. He put that athleticism on display in Indy. He ran 4.49, had a 10-foot-10 broad jump and a 37.5-inch vertical. Explosiveness confirmed.

Marquez Valdes-Scantling, USF. A deep sleeper prospect at the receiver position, Valdes-Scantling is a super-twitchy athlete for his size -- 6-4, 206 pounds -- and undoubtedly has room to grow into his frame. He ran a scintillating 40 of 4.37 seconds.

WR losers
Jordan Lasley, UCLA. Weighing in slightly over 200 pounds may have actually been bad for the UCLA wideout after all. He ran an official 4.50, which certainly isn't slow, but many expected him to have one of the fastest times among the receivers. Also, he clearly battled the football on an assortment of routes in the on-field rills.

Tavares Martin, Washington State. Martin had rare but special flashes in college, yet fizzled at the combine. Running 4.80 at 185 pounds will sink him on boards.

Calvin Ridley, Alabama. Running 4.43 in the 40 is solid. A 31-inch vertical and a 9-foot-2 broad jump is not, especially at around 6-foot-1 and 189 pounds. For a wideout expected to win with suddenness and burst, those jumps are worrisome. He had a poor rep through the gauntlet drill as well.

Auden Tate, Florida State - On film, Tate moves incredibly well for a 6-foot-5, 225-pounder. And while he wasn't expected to light the 40-yard dash on fire, his time of 4.68 will raise a red flag for some teams that place a high priority on timed speed.

Would love a relatively poor combine to cause Ridley to fall. He's a perfect pick for us. I also want the thug (Calloway) with our comp pick in the 4th if he's still there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Allen's performance was not nearly as impressive as you will read.

He is an arm and nothing he did today tested more than that.

Mayock's incessant slobbering over him was sickening.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah I saw bad accuracy on some of his throws but you'd have no idea based on Mayocks comments.

D

Deuce

Yeah I saw bad accuracy on some of his throws but you'd have no idea based on Mayocks comments.
Ive never heard them talk about “incompletions don’t matter” during the combine as much as they did today.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Alot of Day 2 WR talent with guys like Gallup, Chark, Hamilton, Miller, Washington, Cain, Pettis, and Smith.

Moore and Kirk may slide down into the top 5 or so picks of the 2nd but there's no shot they make it out of the top 40.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I can't believe Chark ran a 4.34.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

There is just no way I'm drafting a guy who only completed 56% of his throws. Fucking horrible. He's got bust written all over him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alot of Day 2 WR talent with guys like Gallup, Chark, Hamilton, Miller, Washington, Cain, Pettis, and Smith.

Moore and Kirk may slide down into the top 5 or so picks of the 2nd but there's no shot they make it out of the top 40.
Yeah there is some serious competition for that second WR spot now. Moore did really well by running as fast as he did and measuring taller than anyone thought he would at 6 foot. It gives him a serious shot at that second WR spot. Chark may even get in the conversation as well but his hands still make me nervous. It's still a great draft after those guys though. Just a super deep group. Even if it lacks maybe that crazy elite guy with few warts. Hell the crazy elite guys with few warts in recent years haven't worked out that great in the NFL anyway.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is just no way I'm drafting a guy who only completed 56% of his throws. Fucking horrible. He's got bust written all over him.
But but Matthew Stafford or something in college only completed 56% of his passes.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
But but Matthew Stafford or something in college only completed 56% of his passes.
61.4% as a true junior, and that was like 10+ years ago when offenses weren't as spread out and easy to rack up high completion %'s.

lostxn

DCC 4Life

There's gonna be a huge run on WRs from the late 1st to mid 2nd.

Kirk, Gallup, Chark, Miller, Moore, Sutton. There's gonna be some really talented guys who will slip I would think. On the other hand, you'd like to get the guy you want not the guy who's left. Ideally I'd like to trade back 4-5 spots if Ridley is gone and grab Moore or Kirk. Sutton is a guy I would also strongly consider if we're gonna jettison Dez.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
61.4% as a true junior, and that was like 10+ years ago when offenses weren't as spread out and easy to rack up high completion %'s.
Yeah I was joking only because Mayock likes to bring it up as a comparison. He also happened to play in the SEC instead of at Wyoming. I think they mention it because his career was 57% and Josh Allen's career was 56%. But like mentioned, it's a terrible comparison. Especially since Stafford showed improvement in that area and Allen basically stayed even the two years he was a starter (In completion percentage, his overall stats were actually worse his final college season).

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Kirk, Gallup, Chark, Miller, Moore, Sutton. There's gonna be some really talented guys who will slip I would think. On the other hand, you'd like to get the guy you want not the guy who's left. Ideally I'd like to trade back 4-5 spots if Ridley is gone and grab Moore or Kirk. Sutton is a guy I would also strongly consider if we're gonna jettison Dez.
I think trading down about 8-10 spots would be ideal almost regardless of who we're looking at. There seem to be quite a number of guys that I like but don't love at 19, including Kirk, Moore, Hernandez, Wynn, Hurst (pending the heart condition), Ronnie Harrison, Harrison Phillips and so forth, you can probably throw Goedert, Vander Esch and Evans in there too.

If we can move down to 28-30 and pick up a 2nd, or a 3rd and a 5th, that'd be awesome because there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between guys that will be going at 15-20 and guys going between 25-30.

Unless a Derwin James or Roquan Smith falls to 19 I'd be trying hard to trade back to the last 5 or 6 picks of the 1st.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

It's going to be a year where every teams WR rankings are going to be very different. It's going to be all about preference. Does a team want the big and tall classic WR like Sutton, do they want the thick and quicker guy like Moore or Kirk, or do they want the size and speed freak in Chark. There isn't a ton separating some of these guys in my opinion.

I think someone like Dante Pettis is either going to get horribly over looked and be an absolute steal for someone. Or he is going to go in the second round above a lot of these other names and some will be shocked. But honestly I could see him being an excellent WR too and he barely gets mentioned.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think trading down about 8-10 spots would be ideal almost regardless of who we're looking at. There seem to be quite a number of guys that I like but don't love at 19, including Kirk, Moore, Hernandez, Wynn, Hurst (pending the heart condition), Ronnie Harrison, Harrison Phillips and so forth, you can probably throw Goedert, Vander Esch and Evans in there too.

If we can move down to 28-30 and pick up a 2nd, or a 3rd and a 5th, that'd be awesome because there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between guys that will be going at 15-20 and guys going between 25-30.

Unless a Derwin James or Roquan Smith falls to 19 I'd be trying hard to trade back to the last 5 or 6 picks of the 1st.
Do you think Gesicki is going to push for the first round? I thought he was a pretty solid second round guy. But he blew away the combine today and I know Mayock claimed at least that an NFL team didn't even think they'd have a shot at him in the first round any longer. I never under estimate a teams ability to fall in love with a great combine. Matt Jones is probably my favorite example of that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Do you think Gesicki is going to push for the first round? I thought he was a pretty solid second round guy. But he blew away the combine today and I know Mayock claimed at least that an NFL team didn't even think they'd have a shot at him in the first round any longer. I never under estimate a teams ability to fall in love with a great combine. Matt Jones is probably my favorite example of that.
I don't think he's going to push for the 1st, he's too poor of a blocker and I think he tested better today than he plays. I've watched him pretty closely and he's definitely a big time threat on jump balls and has great hands, he's going to be a red zone threat from day 1, but he is really poor as a blocker and I think that will keep him out of the 1st.

He also isn't the most agile or explosive in and out of his breaks, he has long speed, which he showed in the 40, but I think he struggles with short area quickness in tight spaces and needs room to build up to top speed.

Personally, I think he's a late 2nd/early 3rd type and that's only because of the obvious emphasis that's put on receiving ability from the TE position these days. The thought of spending a 1st on him is ridiculous to me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think he's going to push for the 1st, he's too poor of a blocker and I think he tested better today than he plays. I've watched him pretty closely and he's definitely a big time threat on jump balls and has great hands, he's going to be a red zone threat from day 1, but he is really poor as a blocker and I think that will keep him out of the 1st.

He also isn't the most agile or explosive in and out of his breaks, he has long speed, which he showed in the 40, but I think he struggles with short area quickness in tight spaces and needs room to build up to top speed.

Personally, I think he's a late 2nd/early 3rd type and that's only because of the obvious emphasis that's put on receiving ability from the TE position these days. The thought of spending a 1st on him is ridiculous to me.
Yeah I definitely like him better than you but I wouldn't touch him until our second round pick. And frankly I think he will be gone by then now. My biggest concern is probably that he is a long strider which makes him a little slower in and out of his breaks than I would prefer. But man he could really stress a defense down the seam. With his length and long speed he could be a real weapon. Not to mention he jumps like an elite level WR in terms of a vertical.

Andrews ran better than I thought today. I honestly thought he looked more quick than fast. Which made me think his forty would kind of be average as a result. His 4.67 was actually pretty solid.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I don't remember this kid being this quick off the line but it is track speed, not football speed.

Top Bottom