User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dak Prescott DOESN'T need a WR1

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    The year with Moss was pretty epic. Of course they didn't win the Superbowl when it was all said and done.
    It was in response to the previous year where the WR corps was feeble and lucky vs the Chargers and clearly failed the Pats in the AFC Championship game.

Moss's record-breaking performance overshadowed the fact that the Pats also added Wes Welker that same year and he utterly dominated the slot position.

That offense was so great that even the Pats coaches got stubborn in the Superbowl and kept trying to KO the Giants instead of wearing them out with mismatches. They wasted their opportunities and allowed the Giants to hang around.

If you think Garrett's play-calling vs. the Packers in 2013 blowing a multi-TD lead was stupid, that Pats Superbowl run/pass ratio was nearly identical.

Conclusion: The #1 WR led offense is both a weapon and a trap if not used properly.

Hurns probably isn't even much of a downgrade from 2017 Dez to begin with. Now, Dez may have a bounce back year in 2018 based on where he goes but that's irrelevant relative to what he did for us last year, which was generally average.

Aside from that I'd say Gallup/Austin/Thompson/Wilson will be a clear upgrade and provide much stronger depth and versatility over Butler/Switzer. The real question of course is how much of a hole will Witten's departure leave?

Obviously he was a great security blanket but I think there is upside to getting more speed on the field with a guy like Austin or Thompson as opposed to Witten eating up all the snaps and not being any kind of a threat beyond 10 yards.

We have a much deeper crop of targets in the passing game than we did last year despite losing the top-heavy talent in Dez/Witten, so ultimately it will be on the coaches to pinpoint ways to spread the ball around effectively. We don't have the talent to trot out the same hierarchy in the passing game every week like we have done for so many years (1. Dez 2. Witten 3/4. Williams/Beasley), the coaches will have to mix it up and get creative on a week to week basis with their alignments, releases, who they want to emphasize/target based on matchups, and so forth.

If any Candidate carches 700 yards they have more than replaced Dez. His reputation was all that kept him in tight coverage the last two seasons. It was also his undoing.
    Since Day One

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
    Hurns probably isn't even much of a downgrade from 2017 Dez to begin with. Now, Dez may have a bounce back year in 2018 based on where he goes but that's irrelevant relative to what he did for us last year, which was generally average.

Aside from that I'd say Gallup/Austin/Thompson/Wilson will be a clear upgrade and provide much stronger depth and versatility over Butler/Switzer. The real question of course is how much of a hole will Witten's departure leave?

Obviously he was a great security blanket but I think there is upside to getting more speed on the field with a guy like Austin or Thompson as opposed to Witten eating up all the snaps and not being any kind of a threat beyond 10 yards.

We have a much deeper crop of targets in the passing game than we did last year despite losing the top-heavy talent in Dez/Witten, so ultimately it will be on the coaches to pinpoint ways to spread the ball around effectively. We don't have the talent to trot out the same hierarchy in the passing game every week like we have done for so many years (1. Dez 2. Witten 3/4. Williams/Beasley), the coaches will have to mix it up and get creative on a week to week basis with their alignments, releases, who they want to emphasize/target based on matchups, and so forth.
    It will take time to see who emerges and how effective the committee can be, but Im generally hopeful where before I was super frustrated. I imagine Dak is secretly ecstatic to have a youth injection. Once again, he will have his trusty strong running game to count on, accented by a new look passing game. Good stuff, Mainard.
    Leading in defensive player suspensions, 5 years and counting

Quote Originally Posted by L.T. Fan View Post
    If any Candidate carches 700 yards they have more than replaced Dez. His reputation was all that kept him in tight coverage the last two seasons. It was also his undoing.
    Sounds like Hurns and Dak are really building some good chemistry. I'm hoping he can stay healthy and give us at least similar production to what we got from Dez last year. But hopefully a whole lot more efficient when we do throw the balls his direction.

Sounds like Hurns and Dak are really building some good chemistry. I'm hoping he can stay healthy and give us at least similar production to what we got from Dez last year. But hopefully a whole lot more efficient when we do throw the balls his direction.
    It would seem difficult for Hurns to drop nearly as many as Dez did. Or anyone for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by p1_ View Post
    It would seem difficult for Hurns to drop nearly as many as Dez did. Or anyone for that matter.
    Dak's QB rating while throwing to Dez last year was embarrassingly bad. I can't imagine he would be that bad with any of the new guys.

Dak's QB rating while throwing to Dez last year was embarrassingly bad. I can't imagine he would be that bad with any of the new guys.
    There definitely seemed to be undue pressure on Dak to throw to Dez when he was supposed to be open. I don’t know if a hypothetical 2017 Romo’s accuracy could have made Dez look better by “throwing him open”, but I bet it’s more likely he just wouldn’t let Dez and the coaches telegraph where the ball was going. I doubt anyone ever planned for Laurent Robinson, or even Miles Austin to have enormous breakout seasons. I think Romo knew that his passing offense didn’t have to go through Dez, or Roy Williams, it went to the guy who could score.

In 2018 I think “Dak friendly” is enabling him to make the best decision for the team, the way that Romo would be allowed to, not forcing the ball to Dez based on coverage looks.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDak View Post
    Other than Moss, you're probably right.

Teams just need to get themselves a Tom Brady, and they'll be good to go.
    Correct, and interesting. So, does a superior QB make up for an average group of receivers? Or does a standout, so-called #1WR rescue an average QB?

Brady's strengths are, really good footwork and, according to Belichik, an extraordinary ability to to "see" the field, how the the play unfolds and and making the right throw in accordance with the scheme.

So Brady delivers the ball to the receiver who is open, not necessarily a dominant "#1WR."

Is Dak ever going to be Tom Brady? Not with the sorry-ass excuse for a coaching staff that Jethro and Daddy have in place.

Quote Originally Posted by deadrise View Post

Is Dak ever going to be Tom Brady?
    Well, considering Tom Brady is considered the GOAT by most, I would say it's doubtful. It's also doubtful that any other QB is going to 'be' Tom Brady, either.