Archer: Cowboys sign Will McClay to extension

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sources: Cowboys sign Will McClay to extension
11:30 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- As a number of teams flirted with the idea of making Will McClay their general manager, including the Houston Texans this offseason, the Dallas Cowboys made sure to show their appreciation to their vice president of player personnel.

According to sources, the Cowboys signed McClay to a two-year extension after he declined the opportunity to interview with Houston.

McClay has been one of the more sought-after general manager candidates across the league the past few years, but he has declined the chance to move on. He has been in the organization since 2002 but has been in his role as the chief of the college and pro personnel departments since 2014.

Last season, the Cowboys gave him the vice president of player personnel title. Though it does not carry the powers of a traditional general manager -- that remains Jerry Jones' domain -- he is their leading voice when it comes to personnel.

Since 2014, the Cowboys have drafted four players that have made the Pro Bowl -- Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott -- and 14 players who start or play key roles.

With the Cowboys opting to stay out of the chase for big-name free agents, they have to draft well and develop players. According to Pro Football Focus, the Cowboys had the third-most "homegrown" snaps played in the league last season with 16,808. The Cincinnati Bengals were No. 1 (18,559) and the Green Bay Packers (17,018) were No. 2.

The Cowboys have 10 picks in the upcoming draft, including No. 19 overall in the first round.

:towel

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sources: Cowboys sign Will McClay to extension
11:30 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- As a number of teams flirted with the idea of making Will McClay their general manager, including the Houston Texans this offseason, the Dallas Cowboys made sure to show their appreciation to their vice president of player personnel.

According to sources, the Cowboys signed McClay to a two-year extension after he declined the opportunity to interview with Houston.

McClay has been one of the more sought-after general manager candidates across the league the past few years, but he has declined the chance to move on. He has been in the organization since 2002 but has been in his role as the chief of the college and pro personnel departments since 2014.

Last season, the Cowboys gave him the vice president of player personnel title. Though it does not carry the powers of a traditional general manager -- that remains Jerry Jones' domain -- he is their leading voice when it comes to personnel.

Since 2014, the Cowboys have drafted four players that have made the Pro Bowl -- Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott -- and 14 players who start or play key roles.

With the Cowboys opting to stay out of the chase for big-name free agents, they have to draft well and develop players. According to Pro Football Focus, the Cowboys had the third-most "homegrown" snaps played in the league last season with 16,808. The Cincinnati Bengals were No. 1 (18,559) and the Green Bay Packers (17,018) were No. 2.

The Cowboys have 10 picks in the upcoming draft, including No. 19 overall in the first round.

:towel
Nothing to complain about on this one.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Better than Jerry being in charge but I'm not so sure we don't overrate him a bit. McClay that is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Better than Jerry being in charge but I'm not so sure we don't overrate him a bit. McClay that is.
We've drafted better under McClay than I can ever remember. I have no complaints other than our shitty free agency strategies. I think the guy is doing the best possible given his circumstances. This team is very talented.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
We've drafted better under McClay than I can ever remember. I have no complaints other than our shitty free agency strategies. I think the guy is doing the best possible given his circumstances. This team is very talented.
Best since Jimmy anyway.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am not uncertain about it. We completely do.

He is not in charge. He is a navigator. Jerry can still take the wheel and crash the ship into the rocks any time he wants to.

His biggest charm is that he is smarter than Ciskowski was.

midswat

... soon
Sounds like some of you are hung up on titles.

vince

Not So New Member
I am not uncertain about it. We completely do.

He is not in charge. He is a navigator. Jerry can still take the wheel and crash the ship into the rocks any time he wants to.

His biggest charm is that he is smarter than Ciskowski was.
Overrate his title. Not his ability to make impactful, positive changes.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This was needed. Now if they could just send Marinelli on a vacation between now an May.

Top Bottom