User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Justices side with Colorado baker on same-sex wedding cake

Justices side with Colorado baker on same-sex wedding cake

Sanity prevails.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/justices-...-politics.html

WASHINGTON (AP) The Supreme Court is setting aside a Colorado court ruling against a baker who wouldn't make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple. But the court is not deciding the big issue in the case, whether a business can refuse to serve gay and lesbian people.

The justices' limited ruling Monday turns on what the court described as anti-religious bias on the Colorado Civil Rights Commission when it ruled against baker Jack Phillips. The justices voted 7-2 that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission violated Phillips' rights under the First Amendment.

Justice Anthony Kennedy says in his majority opinion that the issue "must await further elaboration." Appeals in similar cases are pending, including one at the Supreme Court from a florist who didn't want to provide flowers for a same-sex wedding.

And FWIW, as I think this article obscures it somewhat, is that no one is asking for the ability to flatly deny general service to gay and lesbian people.

Just that they want the ability to pick and choose clientele for personalized services such as wedding cakes.

Also significant: The decision was 7-2. Kagan and Breyer both sided with the baker, in this obviously appropriate ruling.

Only permaloony Ruth Bader Ginsburg and her apprentice Sotomayor voted against the baker.

Come on, Ginsburg and Kennedy retirement. Crossing my fingers that it happens this term.

LOL, yahoo has updated their article, leading off with "The Supreme Court has narrowly ruled in favor of a Colorado Baker...."

Yeah, 7-2 with two liberals switching to the common sense conservative side. Real narrow. No media bias though!

This is good news for freedom. You can't force a business to provide a service or product that they do not want to. There are so many bad things that could happen as a result of forcing the issue. That goes for all people on all sides of the fence. People can simply choose to not shop there, that is how commerce works. Let the market decide what it wants.

Quote Originally Posted by skidadl View Post
    This is good news for freedom. You can't force a business to provide a service or product that they do not want to. There are so many bad things that could happen as a result of forcing the issue. That goes for all people on all sides of the fence. People can simply choose to not shop there, that is how commerce works. Let the market decide what it wants.
    Discrimination in the public sector = freedom Curious

I am sure they felt the same way about buses and lunch counters at one time.

Total bastardization of Christianity if you ask me. It is what it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by 2233boys View Post

I don't get that viewpoint. You can't force private business owners to violate their beliefs. It doesn't matter if you agree with their beliefs or not. If it is a "christian" thing to do is an entirely separate issue.

What if a Muslim decided he didn't want to bake a Christian themed cake? Are you going to force him to do that? What if someone demanded that an Amish guy selling crosses make a pentagram or a wooden dick? How bout someone asking for a wooden inscription referring to technology? Who gets to determine which one is more conscience violating to which group? There are a ton of things that the government can't and shouldn't solve.

Quote Originally Posted by 2233boys View Post

It's not a blanket denial of service. Surely you can see a difference between that and refusing personalized messages on cakes or other forms of artistic expression.

Next we will sue Elton John for not singing a requested song of repentance.

Quote Originally Posted by skidadl View Post
    I don't get that viewpoint. You can't force private business owners to violate their beliefs. It doesn't matter if you agree with their beliefs or not. If it is a "christian" thing to do is an entirely separate issue.

What if a Muslim decided he didn't want to bake a Christian themed cake? Are you going to force him to do that? What if someone demanded that an Amish guy selling crosses make a pentagram or a wooden dick? How bout someone asking for a wooden inscription referring to technology? Who gets to determine which one is more conscience violating to which group? There are a ton of things that the government can't and shouldn't solve.
    DISCRIMINATION!!! Fundamentalist Muslim restaurants that provide catering services should be forced to provide the baked beans at my pig pickin'.

Whaaaa?!?? They cater. They should have to serve me. I'm not forcing them to EAT the pork, for chrissakes, just be around it, smell it, see everyone else eating it and pouring sauce on it and talking about how awesome it is. I'm just asking them to set up shop and have their baked bean platter be right next to my roasting pig, where I'm also displaying a sign that says, "Pork! The best meat! Everyone should eat it, at every meal!" They might be in the picture next to the pig or the sign, but whatevs.

Oh, I'm also going to have live nude strippers there, not wearing burkas, so.... you know, they better look away. But if they don't cater, I'm suing the shit out of them. Intolerant fucking assholes.

11. The following 2 users like this post: