Staff member
Per ESPN. Wow.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vikings OC Norv Turner resigns, Pat Shurmer to take over
9:45 AM CT
ESPN.com news services

Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner has resigned.

Pat Shurmur will be the interim offensive coordinator. Coach Mike Zimmer will speak later Wednesday.

The Vikings lost 20-10 to the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field on Monday night, the Vikings' second straight loss.

Pretty crazy really, wonder if there are health reasons or something. Seems like an odd time otherwise.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
ESPN.com news services

Pat Shurmur will be the interim offensive coordinator. Coach Mike Zimmer will speak later Wednesday.

The Vikings lost 20-10 to the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field on Monday night, the Vikings' second straight loss.

Pretty crazy really, wonder if there are health reasons or something. Seems like an odd time otherwise.
Especially with the team at 5-2. I understand they have lost two in a row, but damn.

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bradford is a coach killer. Now he has his own cheerleader as his OC again.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
ESPN.com news services

I think he was asked to resign. The Viking offense is pretty shabby tight now.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think he was asked to resign. The Viking offense is pretty shabby tight now.
If so, he was a scapegoat. Their problems are not because of Turner and his offense. The Vikings Oline is hot garbage. They can't run or pass block. It has gotten progressively worse as the season goes on. If it continues, Bradford might be dead by week 10.

Cotton

Staff member
If so, he was a scapegoat. Their problems are not because of Turner and his offense. The Vikings Oline is hot garbage. They can't run or pass block. It has gotten progressively worse as the season goes on. If it continues, Bradford might be dead by week 10.
That and he lost his starting QB, RB, and both starting OTs. Tough to do well with so many backups playing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That and he lost his starting QB, RB, and both starting OTs. Tough to do well with so many backups playing.
Yeah you don't usually see a team firing people when they are winning their division. And forcing him out is the same thing as firing him as far as I'm concerned. Which is why I assumed there must be something else to this story.

townsend

Banned
Maybe Norv just saw the writing on the wall, and knew that his best wasn't good enough to keep that offense competitive. Maybe after getting stonewalled by the shittiest team in the conference, he felt like he couldn't help the team anymore.

Norv's achieved everything in this league he could possibly hope to as an OC, I think a run of bad luck this severe is enough to make someone lose the will to keep coaching.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you do with the first five games? It's the same QB.
Not sure but there offense is ranked 23rd in scoring and 31st in yards per game. So it's not like Bradford is really getting the job done. Of course he never has gotten the job done his entire career.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not sure but there offense is ranked 23rd in scoring and 31st in yards per game. So it's not like Bradford is really getting the job done. Of course he never has gotten the job done his entire career.
But that's a contridiction in terms. If he wasn't getting the job done in the first 5 games then why blame him for the last two losses. Obviously the responsible parties for the 5 wins are now screwing the pooch. Who might that be? It's obviously not a matter of singling out Bradford with a thumbs up or thumbs down.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Bradford is about the last one I'd blame for their offensive woes. They have Stephon Diggs and what else on offense? Also garbage at RB to go along with their non existent offensive line. Trying to pin that shit show on Bradford is a reach. I'd say him and Diggs are the only thing on that offense right now that belongs in the NFL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But that's a contridiction in terms. If he wasn't getting the job done in the first 5 games then why blame him for the last two losses. Obviously the responsible parties for the 5 wins are now screwing the pooch. Who might that be? It's obviously not a matter of singling out Bradford with a thumbs up or thumbs down.
Turner has always been an excellent offensive coordinator and frankly he has gotten more out of Sam Bradford this season then we have ever seen before. Bradford has actually had a pretty good season up to this point. Their offense just had too many injuries and not enough talent to begin with. Supposedly Zimmer and Norv were friends too which makes this whole thing a bit more shocking.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
IF they forced him out they'll regret it in no time, unless they saw the writing on the wall and decided to tank the season.
Of course I don't see much use for tanking when you started out hot and don't have a 1st in the next draft...:shrug

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
IF they forced him out they'll regret it in no time, unless they saw the writing on the wall and decided to tank the season.
Of course I don't see much use for tanking when you started out hot and don't have a 1st in the next draft...:shrug
It really doesn't sound like he was forced out. From what I have read there was some sort of a difference of opinion between Norv and Zimmer and Norv just sort of walked out and said screw it.

Mike Zimmer choked up and was in tears at the end of his press conference today. Said he hopes he will always be friends with Norv Turner. If this was a firing, Zimmer should be win an Oscar.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
It really doesn't sound like he was forced out. From what I have read there was some sort of a difference of opinion between Norv and Zimmer and Norv just sort of walked out and said screw it.

Mike Zimmer choked up and was in tears at the end of his press conference today. Said he hopes he will always be friends with Norv Turner. If this was a firing, Zimmer should be win an Oscar.
Yeah, saw that. Looked more like Norv caught him in bed with his wife...

Top Bottom