boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dez Bryant maturing thanks in part to Michael Jordan

By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: June 19, 2013 at 12:15 p.m.
Updated: June 19, 2013 at 03:49 p.m.

A more mature Dez Bryant insists he finally has "found himself" after a bumpy start to his NFL career. Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and coach Jason Garrett have noticed a change for the better as well.

After becoming just the seventh NFL player to sign with Nike's Jordan Brand, Bryant credited the basketball legend for admonishing him to " stay out of trouble."

As it turns out, Bryant actually downplayed Michael Jordan's role in demonstrating professionalism. Bryant's longtime mentor, David Wells, revealed that Jordan and the once-troubled wide receiver talk by phone twice a week and regularly exchange text messages. Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul also has taken Bryant under his wing.

"They almost treat him like a little brother," Wells told FOXSportsSouthwest.com. "Dez started listening to older people instead of the young guys. Those guys are both married and have stable lives. And that's something Dez craves."

Bryant is putting their example into action. Three years after igniting a controversy by refusing to carry veteran receiver Roy Williams' shoulder pads, Bryant has begun mentoring third-round draft pick Terrance Williams.

"That's one of the things that Michael Jordan preached to him," Wells said. "He wants him to develop as a leader."

Wells certainly paints a rosy picture of a re-invented, wholesome and happy Cowboys star. We almost can imagine Jordan and Bryant whiling away the afternoon hours in a winsome rowboat or tandem bicycle.

It won't mean a lick, though, if Bryant can't stay out of trouble while emerging as the team's most consistent offensive threat. He's at least off to an impressive start on the latter goal.

An "unstoppable" Bryant was the best player on the field in offseason practices, toying with the Cowboys cornerbacks. A 2,000-yard season might be a pipedream, but don't be surprised if Bryant finishes out 2013 as the primary threat to Calvin Johnson's mantle as the greatest receiver on the planet.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I like it, think it is cool that he has someone like that to mentor him. The only real issue I have is that we do not have any internal leadership where young guys don't have to look outside the organization for mentoring.

Lotuseater

Banned
I like it, think it is cool that he has someone like that to mentor him. The only real issue I have is that we do not have any internal leadership where young guys don't have to look outside the organization for mentoring.
I'm happy as hell about it too. Everyone grows up, and I'm glad he got help. Many never get it. Sky is the limit for this kid.

jeebs

Brand New Member
Dez never seemed like a guy who would accept any internal mentoring. He has seemed arrogant and prideful, sometimes it is hard to take advice from your betters if youre actively trying to prove you are their equal/better. Looking outside the organization releases that dynamic.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Dez never seemed like a guy who would accept any internal mentoring. He has seemed arrogant and prideful, sometimes it is hard to take advice from your betters if youre actively trying to prove you are their equal/better. Looking outside the organization releases that dynamic.
Would you take advice and guidance from Roy Williams? I mean we just do not have vocal leaders. Witten is a quiet leader, but he is not a guy who is going to whip someone in line when they screw up. I think he would take mentoring from someone on the team who had that type of cred, we are lacking. Jimmy Robinson did a good job with him though.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Would you take advice and guidance from Roy Williams? I mean we just do not have vocal leaders. Witten is a quiet leader, but he is not a guy who is going to whip someone in line when they screw up. I think he would take mentoring from someone on the team who had that type of cred, we are lacking. Jimmy Robinson did a good job with him though.
I really hope the change from Robinson to Dufus doesn't derail the progress...

Lotuseater

Banned
This is true. I have never seen so many laid back, quiet "leaders" on one team. It's time to get fired up and they all look at each other to see who is gonna do it.

When Ratliff is playing well he's an excellent leader. It's been a while since we've seen him, though.

Time to step up Carter and Lee.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I really hope the change from Robinson to Dufus doesn't derail the progress...

It almost seems like a positive since the receivers have been spending all offseason acting like no one has been coaching them to run proper routes until now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It almost seems like a positive since the receivers have been spending all offseason acting like no one has been coaching the to run proper routes until now.
Can that even possibly be true?

Jimmy Robinson was a respected WR coach.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I do find it curious but until I hear different I feel like I kind of have to take their word for it.

I think it was Harris that was explaining it by saying Robinson didn't want them thinking too much.

Carp

DCC 4Life
What Harris said could be true...Robinson could have been doing a slow build with the WRs, particularly Dez and Harris. Get them comfortable, then sharpen their game.

Top Bottom