Philips: Why Adding Four Compensatory Picks Is “Big Deal” For Cowboys’ Draft Plans

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why Adding Four Compensatory Picks Is “Big Deal” For Cowboys’ Draft Plans
Wednesday, February 28, 2018 2:12 PM CST

By Rob Phillips
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
@robphillips3

INDIANAPOLIS – The last time the Cowboys landed four compensatory picks, they drafted starting quarterback Dak Prescott.
Two years later, the club has been awarded four compensatory selections again – picks given to teams the end of Rounds 3-7 and determined by a formula weighing free-agent additions against losses the previous year.

Now with 10 total picks in the 2018 draft, the Cowboys hope to bolster their roster just like 2016 when Prescott replaced an injured Tony Romo and led the team to a franchise-record tying 13 wins.

“I love it that we got four picks because we’ve done a good job with our draft picks,” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said from the NFL Scouting Combine. “They’re not only picks, they’re good picks, and we should be able to optimize that and put some real depth on this football team.

“Obviously in those first three or four rounds, you’re expecting to find starters as well. To have 10 draft picks is a big deal.”

The Cowboys originally had six picks, one in each round except the sixth. Last week the league announced they received an extra fourth-rounder (No. 137 overall), two fifth-rounders (No. 171, 173) and a sixth-rounder (No. 208). The four compensatory picks tie the Bengals, Packers and Raiders for most in the NFL this year.

Three of four compensatory picks from that 2016 class are still on the roster: Prescott, tight end Rico Gathers and safety Kavon Frazier, who had a more prominent role on defense last season.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Who wants to bet they're going to fuck these picks off on gambles since they were "free"

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Who wants to bet they're going to fuck these picks off on gambles since they were "free"
Watch them bundle them up, move up to like the 12th pick and take Rashaan Evans.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think they need to trade for some better positioning in rounds 1-4.

These are really two 5ths, a 6th, and a 7th rounder. The 4th round is supposed to end at pick 128. Our first pick is in the upper 130’s.

On their own they will definitely help us, but another real value is the flexibility they buy us to trade up.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
These are really two 5ths, a 6th, and a 7th rounder. The 4th round is supposed to end at pick 128. Our first pick is in the upper 130’s.
Seriously, who really fucking cares what it's called? If we were awarded a comp pick in the last spot of the 3rd round, would it make you feel better if they called it the first pick of the 4th round? It's still in the same spot.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Sweet, now we can trade up higher in the second for that injured tight end

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Seriously, who really fucking cares what it's called? If we were awarded a comp pick in the last spot of the 3rd round, would it make you feel better if they called it the first pick of the 4th round? It's still in the same spot.
Then why do you seem to care that I've called them out as 5th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders. Which they are.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Then why do you seem to care that I've called them out as 5th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders. Which they are.
Fuck it. They're all first rounders. I just hope we get a good player with the 236th pick in the first round.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Were gonna use some of these picks to move up for someone valuable on our board who happens to fall lower than their projected slot.

Top Bottom