User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sturm: Is Ezekiel Elliott’s workload a reason to worry about his future?

I think players like Emmitt are the exception, not the rule. Some of the others mentioned had better long speed than Zeke IMO and could outrun contact.

I do think it's a mistake to put all your eggs in one basket and he should be spelled more often by backup RBs. That could lead to being predictable on offense though because if a backup is in it raises the likelihood that a pass is being called and defenses will play it that way.

Dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by DLK150 View Post
    I think players like Emmitt are the exception, not the rule. Some of the others mentioned had better long speed than Zeke IMO and could outrun contact.

I do think it's a mistake to put all your eggs in one basket and he should be spelled more often by backup RBs. That could lead to being predictable on offense though because if a backup is in it raises the likelihood that a pass is being called and defenses will play it that way.

Dunno.
    I'd use guys like Bo Scarbrough or even Rod Smith. They are both more than capable of carrying the ball and pass protecting. Maybe they aren't a huge threat to catch the ball but frankly we don't pass that much to our RB's anyway. I'd rather use those guys on early downs and actually pass the ball some to Zeke in passing situations.

That's what I would do at least. I think a guy like Bo could really hammer a tired defense with our O-line. Might actually work really well.

Quote Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
    And ultimately that is what sucks about spending the 4th overall pick on a RB.

No 10 year careers.

The only thing worse is spending that kind of pick on a DB.
    In truth 10 year careers are rare for all but QBs. Even OL don’t always stay effective that long.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ravidubey View Post
    In truth 10 year careers are rare for all but QBs. Even OL don’t always stay effective that long.
    That's what makes a guy a true franchise cornerstone or not. You strive for the 10 year guys but they certainly aren't common.

I'd assume much more common though when you are talking a top 5 pick at 20 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Khan View Post
    I'd assume much more common though when you are talking a top 5 pick at 20 years old.
    Not at Zeke’s position, though. Optimistically we’re looking at 7-8 years of effectiveness with another back taking the edge off his first five years and sharing equally his last years.

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Khan View Post
    Yeah and honestly that's why I have a hard time taking a RB in the top 5 of the draft. Of course I guess coaches are slowly caring less about that because they know their odds of being around 10 years aren't very likely as a coach. Plus the salary cap seems to have most looking at players in terms of 5 years. Anything beyond that I guess is at such a large cap hit that it reduces the importance of finding a guy for those next 5 years.

Who cares?

He's not even the best RB in the division anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarFan View Post
    Who cares?

He's not even the best RB in the division anymore.
    Well go root for NY then you little bitch
    2018 DCC Super Bowl Bingo Champion