User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Cowboys pay RG Zack Martin in excess of $13 million per year?

Quote Originally Posted by DLK150 View Post
    Once they get too costly, even some all timers move on to different teams.
    Which all timers would that be? I don't recall any off the top of my head that left their teams while in their primes. Of course, our definitions of all timer might not be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why it always has to be such a cat and mouse game. There's a framework, a template for what the guy should be paid. Just get somewhere close to that and be done with it. Why is there always such bullshit drama?
    Maybe it would be nice to win a contract negotiation for once. He's not going anywhere.

Another variable is Demarcus Lawrence’s contract. Specifics for each are easier to determine if they can get DLAW’s franchise number of 17 million off this year’s cap.

Quote Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
    Maybe it would be nice to win a contract negotiation for once. He's not going anywhere.

Who "wins" a contract negotiation? If a player, especially a player like Martin, winds up with less than he thinks he should be getting, what good does that do anybody?

There's a template -- what are the top two or three guards in the league getting? That's where he should be. If he gets, say, half a million more, give or take, who cares? Who loses?

With every player on the oline being of high caliber, where's the tipping point of salary? How many of these guys can be paid top tier dollar concurrently?
    It won't be long now.

Pay him.

I don't think he's a risk to regress after an extension like a Miles Austin or Tyrone Crawford (lacking pure talent, not elite, only 1-2 years of top-level play), Bryant (head case, unwilling or unable to adjust to effects of injury), Marion Barber (head case, short shelf life position) and so forth. Extending him now is a lot like extending a prime Witten, you have a guy with a long track record of elite play, a great work ethic, his game isn't reliant on explosive athleticism so he'd be more durable coming back from an injury and no red flags on or off the field.

There is significantly less risk in extending him compared to other candidates like Lawrence (health, only one year of elite play so far) or Irving (head case, never had a full season of elite play).

The only real issue is the relative value of his position but that is more of a theoretical/philosophical thing, this team is more reliant on the OL than any other in the league so I think that argument goes out the window for this particular organization.

Quote Originally Posted by p1_ View Post
    With every player on the oline being of high caliber, where's the tipping point of salary? How many of these guys can be paid top tier dollar concurrently?
    Tyron is getting paid well below market value, Collins is only being paid around 7 a year and Williams is on a rookie deal.

As far as Collins, if he doesn't take a few steps forward this season and next I'd let him go once his deal runs out after the 2019 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
    Tyron is getting paid well below market value.

2018 Left Tackle Cap Hit Rankings

1 Tyron Smith Left Tackle $17,545,000
    2 Russell Okung Left Tackle $14,968,750
    3 Eric Fisher Left Tackle $13,950,000
    4 Trent Williams Left Tackle $13,856,250
    5 Terron Armstead Left Tackle $13,500,000
    ~~~~~~~~
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/...t/left-tackle/

I must be missing something.
    It won't be long now.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
    Pay him.

I don't think he's a risk to regress after an extension like a Miles Austin or Tyrone Crawford (lacking pure talent, not elite, only 1-2 years of top-level play), Bryant (head case, unwilling or unable to adjust to effects of injury), Marion Barber (head case, short shelf life position) and so forth. Extending him now is a lot like extending a prime Witten, you have a guy with a long track record of elite play, a great work ethic, his game isn't reliant on explosive athleticism so he'd be more durable coming back from an injury and no red flags on or off the field.

There is significantly less risk in extending him compared to other candidates like Lawrence (health, only one year of elite play so far) or Irving (head case, never had a full season of elite play).

The only real issue is the relative value of his position but that is more of a theoretical/philosophical thing, this team is more reliant on the OL than any other in the league so I think that argument goes out the window for this particular organization.

At some point they're going to have to invest a lot of money in Zeke. So why not invest the money in the O-line that will ultimately protect the investment in Zeke?

Plus, guards tend to have long shelf-lives -- longer than, say, RBs or LBs. They're usually not head cases or prima donnas like WRs.

Quote Originally Posted by p1_ View Post
    2018 Left Tackle Cap Hit Rankings

1 Tyron Smith Left Tackle $17,545,000
    2 Russell Okung Left Tackle $14,968,750
    3 Eric Fisher Left Tackle $13,950,000
    4 Trent Williams Left Tackle $13,856,250
    5 Terron Armstead Left Tackle $13,500,000
    ~~~~~~~~
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/...t/left-tackle/

I must be missing something.
    That cap charge actually drops after this year. Of course we do that so we can restructure if needed.