User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Cowboys pay RG Zack Martin in excess of $13 million per year?

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boozeman View Post
    Just pay the guy, jeez.

No reason to make this difficult.

He is the best interior lineman in the game.
    Pretty much.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarFan View Post
    Fuck it, let him walk.

13 million per for a guard?

Laughable.

Then when the time to pay someone really important, there is no money under this ridiculous system.

Something should be done where you should be rewarded for drafting well.

You should be able to pay original draft picks what the fuck ever and the cap should apply to free agents.
    That would break the league faster than a luxury tax. “Market value” would be set by drafted free agents who each sign for crazy money because their agents know there is no cap for them.

Quote Originally Posted by townsend View Post
    I’m not sure it makes sense to break the bank for year 6 of Zeke. I think we should assume he’s gonna get the Demarco Murray treatment, and end up going to the Buccaneers to help them sell Jerseys.
    I'd rather pay the all time Olineman then Zeke.

Martin will get 13 mil and a few years from now 13 mil won't even be that much for a great guard. It's the nature of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by GShock View Post
    Not that I am saying he’s not worth it, but are we really going to have the top paid offensive lineman in the league (to go with 2 other top 5 positional contracts), to be followed almost immediately by a huge defensive end contract, with potential huge RB and QB contracts looming? I get that we are spending nothing on WR, LB and CB and safety (yet), just thought this would have been done by now.
    We have 60 mil in cap space next year. No reason to worry.

Although I'd be hesitant to pay a RB big money. I may just draft a new one when the time comes. Of course RBs don't really get huge money either. Not comparatively at least.

It would be a financial coup to manage to keep this line together for a significant amount of time.
    It won't be long now.

Pay Martin whatever it takes, I don't *think* it will take $13M/year because he has never struck me as the greedy holdout type. Rumors like this could be a negotiating tactic put out there by his agent, we've seen that happen plenty of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    We have 60 mil in cap space next year. No reason to worry.

Although I'd be hesitant to pay a RB big money. I may just draft a new one when the time comes. Of course RBs don't really get huge money either. Not comparatively at least.

We *have* to pay Zeke. I know RBs tend to be a dime a dozen, but this one's special. And, he's currently the only special talent on the offense. I shudder to think how mediocre this offense would be without him.

In fact, we saw a glimpse of it last year and it was some of the worst offense we've seen in the history of the franchise.

The good news is he'll still only be about 24 or so when we extend him.

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Khan View Post
    We *have* to pay Zeke. I know RBs tend to be a dime a dozen, but this one's special. And, he's currently the only special talent on the offense. I shudder to think how mediocre this offense would be without him.

In fact, we saw a glimpse of it last year and it was some of the worst offense we've seen in the history of the franchise.

The good news is he'll still only be about 24 or so when we extend him.
    That's 3 seasons from now. It's a life time in the NFL. Who knows what other weapons we will have by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    That's 3 seasons from now. It's a life time in the NFL. Who knows what other weapons we will have by then.
    Not to mention, if he’s still that special in 3 years, we can franchise him and have had him for most of his prime.

I don’t really think there’s an NFL RB worth keeping more than 6 seasons.

I would extend Zeke if his production continues consistently and he keeps his nose clean until the time comes but I don't see a reason to rush into it. If he does, he's still fairly young and will have at least 6-7 solid years left in him.

Agree with Townsend, the RBs a team just can't live without are few and far between. Once they get too costly, even some all timers move on to different teams.