Hairpoulos: Jason Garrett describes the coaching education of new Cowboys QB coach Kellen Moore

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jason Garrett describes the coaching education of new Cowboys QB coach Kellen Moore

By Kate Hairopoulos , Staff Writer
Contact Kate Hairopoulos
on Twitter:
@khairopoulos

INDIANAPOLIS -- Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett, who played 12 seasons in the NFL, knows a little something about the transition from player to coach, something former reserve quarterback Kellen Moore is going through now. The 29-year-old retired from playing and took over as Dallas' quarterbacks coach in the short two months since the 2017 season ended. Moore, along with offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, is now charged with aiding the development of Dak Prescott and backup Cooper Rush, who leapfrogged Moore to take the backup job last season. Moore's job change is among 10 moves the Cowboys made to the coaching staff this offseason.

"Kellen is one of those players at that position who in a lot of ways has been a mentor to Dak right from the start," Garrett said Wednesday from the NFL scouting combine. "He's been around Scott, but he also has this maturity about him. He had it right from the start and he probably had it when he was 7 years old playing Pop Warner. His understanding of situations, understanding of the game, is really, really good. He's got a really good way about him and from that position as the third quarterback, I think he's done a really good job for the quarterbacks in the room, helping them, supporting them along with the coaches that we have.

"To me, that's always the best dynamic to have, if you have that chemistry in that room and can really help the quarterback who's playing, I really believe very strongly in that and he's done that. He'll have a transition to be a coach like any player who goes directly into coaching has, but he's someone who will pick it up quickly."

Garrett didn't retire from a career as a backup quarterback until he was 38, wanting to play as long as he could. What is the hardest part about the transition, one that executive vice president Stephen Jones said was first discussed with Moore a year ago?

"Oftentimes when you're a player, you sit in a room and you have kind of all the answers in your head," Garrett said. "'Ah, I'll do it this way, I can't believe he said that, da, da, da, da' ... Then when you flip it around and you have to run the meeting, you've got to run the practice and you've got to put it all together and come up with the plan and have all the answers to all the questions, it's different. It's different. I think Kellen understands that. He's diving in, he's trying to get an A-to-Z understanding of everything we're doing. He's embraced it fully and he's making a lot of strides in a short period of time."

Jones said he's not concerned about Moore taking on a coaching role with quarterbacks he played with so recently.

"Look at all the young coaches that are head coaches, head coaches that are coaching in this league, you have college coaches who are 30 years old out there coaching," Jones said. "So I don't necessarily see your point to the age on this. Kellen comes from an amazing background, dad's a coach, grew up around ball, he's just a football guy."

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
"Look at all the young coaches that are head coaches, head coaches that are coaching in this league, you have college coaches who are 30 years old out there coaching," Jones said. "So I don't necessarily see your point to the age on this. Kellen comes from an amazing background, dad's a coach, grew up around ball, he's just a football guy."
Oh JFC Jerry thinks Moore is his Sean McVay doesn't he

midswat

... soon
"Kellen is one of those players at that position who in a lot of ways has been a mentor to Dak right from the start," Garrett said Wednesday from the NFL scouting combine.
Good to know someone who's been there during the regression from year one to year two is around. Would be totally stupid to get an experienced QB coach in here with fresh ideas to mentor our young flawed QB.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Remember how some people thought things went get better if goof son was more involved? Yeah, about that...

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Remember how some people thought things went get better if goof son was more involved? Yeah, about that...
I mean, things are better than they were on the personnel side of things they were around the late 2000's/early part of this decade, it's just not ideal.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I refuse to even read the article.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
What kind of Jason Garrett fan are you?
:lol

Speaking of... heard a clip from Garrett speaking yesterday, and he was actually pimping the fact that they won four out of their last five games.

I shit you not.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I mean, things are better than they were on the personnel side of things they were around the late 2000's/early part of this decade, it's just not ideal.
True but there are still too many early misses for my liking outside of the OL and still too many chances taken on some players that the team thinks they can "Calvin Hill" into becoming upstanding people.

Top Bottom