User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Will Cowboys pay RG Zack Martin in excess of $13 million per year?

Quote Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
    Who "wins" a contract negotiation? If a player, especially a player like Martin, winds up with less than he thinks he should be getting, what good does that do anybody?

There's a template -- what are the top two or three guards in the league getting? That's where he should be. If he gets, say, half a million more, give or take, who cares? Who loses?
    Surely there is a scenario where player of Martin's caliber could get say top 6 money or top 10 money instead of top 3 money and yet still feel satisfied with his deal.

Just sayin'. There's no reason to immediately give him the moon. You don't want to play such hardball that there are bad feelings but value deals are out there at times.

Quote Originally Posted by p1_ View Post
    2018 Left Tackle Cap Hit Rankings

1 Tyron Smith Left Tackle $17,545,000
    2 Russell Okung Left Tackle $14,968,750
    3 Eric Fisher Left Tackle $13,950,000
    4 Trent Williams Left Tackle $13,856,250
    5 Terron Armstead Left Tackle $13,500,000
    ~~~~~~~~
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/...t/left-tackle/

I must be missing something.
    He was well below that for the past few seasons, I guess they had it planned to jump this year.

His cap hits decrease over the next few years though, by 2020, 2021 or so he'll still only be 31 but his cap hits will be down to about $12-13 a year, which should be far below what the top LT's are getting paid.

Of course he has to stay healthy in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
    Surely there is a scenario where player of Martin's caliber could get say top 6 money or top 10 money instead of top 3 money and yet still feel satisfied with his deal.

Just sayin'. There's no reason to immediately give him the moon. You don't want to play such hardball that there are bad feelings but value deals are out there at times.
    While this is generally true I think it's unrealistic to expect this with Martin.

The market has been clearly set by guys like Norwell and Zeitler who are clearly inferior players. It's going to be $13-14 a year for Martin and that's that.

4. The following user likes this post:

Collins and Frederick are in the midmarket figures, so thats amenable, especially with the rook at LG. But Martins deal will be top of market.
    Leading in defensive player suspensions, 5 years and counting

I know they are likely looking at a 5 year deal or so, but why wouldn't they consider a 7-10 year deal like they did for Tyron. Go to Martin and say hey, we want you to be a Cowboy for life. here's 8 years, 105 with 40-50 up front. That's a bit over 13 mil a year. Structure it however you need to to make it salary cap friendly. In 8 years, he could still get another contract if he's as good as we think. Would that get it done you think?

Quote Originally Posted by fortsbest View Post
    I know they are likely looking at a 5 year deal or so, but why wouldn't they consider a 7-10 year deal like they did for Tyron. Go to Martin and say hey, we want you to be a Cowboy for life. here's 8 years, 105 with 40-50 up front. That's a bit over 13 mil a year. Structure it however you need to to make it salary cap friendly. In 8 years, he could still get another contract if he's as good as we think. Would that get it done you think?
    Smith was like 24 when he signed that deal, Martin will turn 28 during this season so I don't think it's as feasible.

I'd be comfortable giving him a 6 year deal but 8+ would be a bit ridiculous.

Oh, I didn't think about his age. But still if he signed it now, he'd be 35 when done. For a great guard, that's still not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
    Smith was like 24 when he signed that deal, Martin will turn 28 during this season so I don't think it's as feasible.

I'd be comfortable giving him a 6 year deal but 8+ would be a bit ridiculous.
    Yeah I think a 6 year deal is about perfect. Would put him at 33 when it expires. He is a guard with no injury history so I'd be pretty happy with that. I'm guessing he will play at a really high level to that point at least.

Imagine if we manage to keep Smith, Frederick and Martin for their entire careers.
    Leading in defensive player suspensions, 5 years and counting

Quote Originally Posted by p1_ View Post
    Imagine if we manage to keep Smith, Frederick and Martin for their entire careers.
    The pessimist in me thinks Smiths back is going to flush that in a year or two.
    #Fire Garrett