Archer: Cowboys CB Morris Claiborne facing surgery for sports hernia

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I actually think we have been using Wilcox a lot as our deep safety. Oddly enough he does better in that role then Church. It's the coming up and tackling that he whiffs on more often then Church.
We have been using him in cover 1 deep. Like REALLY deep.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I want to see the rookie, I thought he might work out, but he's been inactive every game IIRC...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want to see the rookie, I thought he might work out, but he's been inactive every game IIRC...
I think he will be active now. We will at least need him to start filling in on special teams and just be ready to play safety in case of injury.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
We have been using him in cover 1 deep. Like REALLY deep.
Wilcox is not a terrible safety...most of the time, at least when I see him look bad, is because of the angle he takes.

He doesn't have the speed to make up for a bad angle.

He took a couple bad angles on Sproles the other night, and Sproles ran right by him.

Cotton

Staff member
Wilcox is not a terrible safety...most of the time, at least when I see him look bad, is because of the angle he takes.

He took a couple bad angles on Sproles the other night, and Sproles ran right by him.
That is definitely his biggest knock. His coverage isn't bad as long as they can keep him deep enough to account for his angles.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah the bigger concern is the safety behind Wilcox who could see some playing time now. Jeff Heath :budd

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Yeah the bigger concern is the safety behind Wilcox who could see some playing time now. Jeff Heath :budd
Heath's actually done a good job when he's been on the field on D this year. He played a bunch of snaps against the Packers after Mo went out with his concussion.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heath's actually done a good job when he's been on the field on D this year. He played a bunch of snaps against the Packers after Mo went out with his concussion.
Yeah, there was a point where we had to line him up like a corner back. It was scary.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Even With Dak & Zeke, CB Brown Might Be Cowboys’ Most Surprising Rookie

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 4:13 PM CDT
By Jonathan Auping

FRISCO, Texas – It’s not surprising that the potentially looming quarterback controversy between Dak Prescott and Tony Romo continues to dominate plenty of headlines. But for the time being, another Cowboys rookie will have to fill in for a veteran with significant defensive implications.

Just as the Cowboys got Orlando Scandrick back and healthy, Morris Claiborne suffered a groin injury that is likely to keep him out at least a few weeks. Rookie cornerback Anthony Brown was supposed to be a temporary Band-Aid until Scandrick returned. He’s quickly turning into something more than that for a team that normally relies heavily on three talented cornerbacks.

The secondary lost some experience with Scandrick out of the lineup for four games, but maintained a bend-don’t break identity. Scandrick’s return is a boost, but Claiborne has probably been the Cowboys best defensive back this season. Brown’s role as a nickel back won’t change much as Scandrick will slide over to the outside, but Brown will have to build on his opportunities against the Bears, 49ers, Bengals, and Packers.

“I think I did pretty well, but there’s always room for improvement,” Brown said of his time filling in. “A lot of things to work on going forward.”

Brown by no means looked in over his head. There were no disastrous mistakes, and he even recorded 10 tackles against Green Bay. He’s confident that improvement will continue with his level of involvement. “It’s more just understanding the defense and understanding where to be at and where my help is going to be.”

If Dak Prescott is the rookie who shocked the world and Ezekiel Elliott is the rookie who’s managed to exceed the highest expectations then perhaps Brown will become the quiet surprise of last year’s draft for the Cowboys. His progress certainly snuck up on head coach Jason Garrett.

“He’s one of those guys who early in training camp he was doing OK—kind of looked like he was a rookie,” Garrett said Wednesday. “And then as training camp rolled on and we started playing in some preseason games, he really grew quickly.”

Brown’s steady rise has given the Cowboys the confidence to think they have the depth to handle an injury to Claiborne amidst a career year.

“It’s a great lesson for us coaches to have patience with these young guys,” Garrett added. “And continue to try to put them in game-type situations and see how they respond.”

Perhaps that early learning curve had something to do with Brown’s role switch from college to the NFL. He’s played almost exclusively in nickel packages as the slot cornerback for the Cowboys, but at Purdue he was a standout outside cornerback with game changing speed. He recorded four interceptions in his senior season. There were reports that the Cowboys had graded him at a fourth round value coming into the draft so they jumped at the chance to select him in the sixth round.

A nagging injury to Scandrick during training camp likely accelerated Brown’s ability to understand the nickel coverage.

“I didn’t think I’d be playing nickel when I first got here,” Brown said. “But when I found out the situation with Orlando I had to flip my mindset and just take it on full charge.”

With an entire training camp and four full games of playing in the slot, Brown no longer considers the transition to be a handicap. “I’m more of a Jack-of-all-Trades type of guy. I could do it all, really. [Outside] corner and the inside.”

Brown’s speed was apparent if you watched him at the scouting combine in Indianapolis, where he ran a 4.35 in the 40-yard dash, but Garrett’s been impressed by the fact that he refuses to get pushed around.

“A big part of something that’s impressive to us is that physical play,” Garrett said. “Both as a nickel and an outside guy, he’s shown up and made some physical tackles. He’s shown he’s more than just a fast guy.”

Brown was never worried about being able to handle the NFL from that standpoint. “There [are] a lot of physical guys in college and there [are] physical guys in the NFL. It’s pretty much the same thing. Just a couple guys that are a little bit bigger and a little bit stronger, and just as fast.”

For the moment, Brown needs to just focus on avoiding mistakes. Unlike with Prescott and Romo, there will be no controversy once Claiborne is healthy. But if Brown continues to progress and do his job, then time might eventually put him in the conversation of talented Dallas cornerbacks.

“Orlando, Brandon Carr, and Morris, they all give me their little input and their advice on what happened to them in the game,” Brown said. “I try to take a little bit from all of them and try to tie it to my game so I can get better.”
~~~~~

Like the player.

hstour

Brand New Member

He also had a couple of perfect angles in run coverage that left me thinking, "that can't be Wilcox...." But a coin flip on whether he will take the right angle isn't exactly reassuring.

Brown's ability to come up and tackle in run coverage is helpful.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Was expecting Claiborne to be out for the year, 4-6 weeks is a welcome change.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
What was the final diagnosis on Mo? I heard on ESPN it was a slight tear, not a hernia.

Cotton

Staff member
What was the final diagnosis on Mo? I heard on ESPN it was a slight tear, not a hernia.
Last I heard they were still saying it was a hernia that didn't need surgery.

hstour

Brand New Member
It appears that they are "playing it by ear" to see how the healing goes.

The fear being that surgery means he is done this year.

Probably wise considering he is a UFA next year. Get something out of him in a playoff run if possible.

Top Bottom