Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Unbelievable for many reasons.

1. The stubborn shiftless nature of their philosophy is maddening.
2. The fact that this goddamn retard opens his mouth, yet again, to announce to the whole fucking world what our early draft plans are.
Ugh on both counts.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So..... cut.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Stephen's comments about not targetting a 1-T high makes me believe that they're probably gonna be scouting them hard in order to take a 1-T high.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
.... as evidenced by the fact that you've got like 5 competent CBs on the roster this very second if you count Byron Jones among them; but zero competent safeties on the roster even if you count Byron Jones among them.

Makes sense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Of course, now that we have put it out there.
No question.

We are the most predictable franchise in the NFL. Both on the field and off.

The only way we win is to be better talent wise on the field and off the field we need to have no brainer top 10 draft choices.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Hernandez and Wynn are definitely in play at 19.

Hernandez in particular because I feel like the guy is a plug and play 10 year starter who is very similar to Leary.

If we aren't in love with a guy like Hurst or Davenport, or if a guy like James doesn't drop to us, I'm thinking OG is the pick and I wouldn't be mad about it at all.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Sorry, but I think it would be ridiculous to take another first round OL at 19, especially a guard. If you trade down, maybe.

But come on, other teams make it work without an entire team of first rounders. The team needs help in other areas.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Sorry, but I think it would be ridiculous to take another first round OL at 19, especially a guard. If you trade down, maybe.

But come on, other teams make it work without an entire team of first rounders. The team needs help in other areas.
Would I do it?

Probably not, I'm just saying I understand it and wouldn't be upset about it.

There's something to be said for having a dominant unit and by the time the 4 years of rookie-salary are up for this year's pick guys like Martin and Smith will be pushing 32 and getting close to the end.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hernandez and Wynn are definitely in play at 19.

Hernandez in particular because I feel like the guy is a plug and play 10 year starter who is very similar to Leary.

If we aren't in love with a guy like Hurst or Davenport, or if a guy like James doesn't drop to us, I'm thinking OG is the pick and I wouldn't be mad about it at all.
Hernandez would bother me if we stayed at 19 and took him. If you go and drop down in the round, like we did with Frederick, then I can start feeling a little less sick about spending a first round choice on an interior offensive lineman.

The second case is that Hernandez is a pure guard. You can't pretend he has "position flex". With Wynn, at least there is the charm that he has played tackle before.

The recent track history of pure guards in the first ain't great:

Josh Garnett
Jonathan Cooper
Chance Warmack
David DeCastro
Kevin Zeitler
Mike Iupati

Laken Tomlinson
David DeCastro

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Hernandez would bother me if we stayed at 19 and took him. If you go and drop down in the round, like we did with Frederick, then I can start feeling a little less sick about spending a first round choice on an interior offensive lineman.

The second case is that Hernandez is a pure guard. You can't pretend he has "position flex". With Wynn, at least there is the charm that he has played tackle before.

The recent track history of pure guards in the first ain't great:

Josh Garnett
Jonathan Cooper
Chance Warmack
David DeCastro
Kevin Zeitler
Mike Iupati

Laken Tomlinson
David DeCastro
DeCastro and Iupati are Pro Bowlers that were two of the best at the position at various points, Zeitler was/is one of the better OG's as well although I don't think he's made a Pro Bowl.

Of course I'd rather trade down and get one of the two, and that should honestly be the strategy given that one of the two will almost assuredly be available in the 28-32 range, but if they took one of the two at 19 I wouldn't hate it. Wouldn't be necessarily excited either, just not losing my mind like if we drafted Josh Jackson or something.

As far as Hernandez vs. Wynn, I think Hernandez is the better pure OG, Wynn is more mobile and might be a better fit for perimeter/outside zone runs, but Hernandez is just a block in the middle who completely stones guys in pass protection and is also surprisingly nimble in space.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As far as Hernandez vs. Wynn, I think Hernandez is the better pure OG, Wynn is more mobile and might be a better fit for perimeter/outside zone runs, but Hernandez is just a block in the middle who completely stones guys in pass protection and is also surprisingly nimble in space.
I agree, but if the concept is to get your best five out there on the field, then perhaps Hernandez is your guy, the hell with the concept that he is a pure guard.

I just don't think the organization has that kind of conviction. I know they really really really believe that OL is the way to build around, but there comes a time where you might have too much invested on the OL. A first round draft pick will make a lot more money over the first four years than a later pick. If they can at least function as your swing in a pinch may be it is worth it.

I also wonder how they exactly look at things. They have had Martin sitting there at RG for his entire career and he was a very functional offensive tackle in college. They never entertained the thought of having him flip outside, even when the shit hit the fan at the end of the year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
More than likely. When is the last time we traded a player?
No it is 100% that he gets cut. No team is going to trade for an old CB and take on his price tag and give up something.

They'd have to use him as a throw-in on a trade to a team with cap room to burn.

The main reason they even discussed trading him to the Saints is that Kenny Vaccarro and Scandrick had similar salaries.

Top Bottom