Archer: Cowboys safety J.J. Wilcox learning the right time for big hits

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys safety J.J. Wilcox learning the right time for big hits
11:00 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- The play ended in an 8-yard run by Philadelphia Eagles running back Darren Sproles late in the fourth quarter, but Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett made sure he showed it to his team on Monday anyway.

After Cowboys safety J.J. Wilcox's big hit sent Sproles flying, you can see assistant strength and conditioning coach Kendall Smith jumping up and down, pumping his fist on the sideline.

“[Garrett] put it up there to show the emotion everybody had, from the coaches to the players,” Wilcox said. “It’s a good sign.”

Wilcox will move into the starting lineup Sunday against the Cleveland Browns -- and for the foreseeable future -- after Barry Church suffered a broken right forearm. Wilcox has started 34 games in his career, including 13 last season, but he fell out of favor with missed tackles and assignments in 2015.

Byron Jones' move to safety full time pushed Wilcox to a reserve role this season, but the Cowboys had rotated their safeties in the first seven games. In limited playing time, Wilcox has been credited with 20 tackles, three pass deflections and a forced fumble.

“Stuff could’ve gone a lot worse,” Wilcox said. “I could be out of the league. I could be with a different team. I could’ve gone to three or four different teams. I’ve been blessed to be in this situation I’m in now, and that’s how I take this opportunity.”

Church is the Cowboys’ second-leading tackler with 64. He also leads the team with two interceptions and has forced a fumble.

“It’s some big shoes to fill,” Wilcox said.

A third-round pick in 2013, Wilcox was a running back for most of his time at Georgia Southern. The Cowboys liked his physical play, but it sometimes got him in trouble. He went for the big hit instead of the sure tackle.

Against Sproles on Sunday, it was the right time for the big hit.

“Learning when to turn it on and turn it off with the big hits and just working on my angles every day,” Wilcox said. “It’s still a daily improvement, a daily work. It’s just understanding the playbook. It’s still fresh coming off four, five years just playing the position itself from college. It’s a big transfer to come into the league.”

Wilcox’s opportunity comes with a bigger picture. He will be an unrestricted free agent when the season ends, and he can use the starting time to state a case for the Cowboys to keep him or another team to sign him.

“It’s just not about me,” Wilcox said. “It’s about this team. It’s about keep winning. It’s about Cleveland.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was one earlier in the game where he went to kill Sproles and bounced right off him missing the tackle. Wilcox is a very up and down player.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
“Stuff could’ve gone a lot worse,” Wilcox said. “I could be out of the league. I could be with a different team. I could’ve gone to three or four different teams. I’ve been blessed to be in this situation I’m in now, and that’s how I take this opportunity.”

Wow, props to Wilcox for having the right attitude about it.

A lot of guys would feel entitled or bitter.

dallen

Senior Tech
Wilcox isn't great, but he does keep getting better which is more than you can say for some (cough Heath).

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Wilcox isn't great, but he does keep getting better which is more than you can say for some (cough Heath).
I like Heaths tackling technigue. He is one of the best secondary tacklers on the squad. His coverage technique needs work but if he can learn how to allow enoughspace on the verticle routes but recover before the ball arrives and how to keep from committing to quickly and losing the angle he will be okay.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Heath has definitely gotten better. He used to be a guy who had no business being on an NFL field. Now at least he's a serviceable backup.

Top Bottom