Week 8 Gameday Chatter | Eagles vs. Cowboys | 10/30/2016

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It really is silly that Claiborne hurt himself trying to pick up and run with that ball on that punt.

There was no reason for him to pick that up at all, and the effort he made to do so is what got him hurt.

Mo is playing better, for sure, but he'll just never be one of those bright guys.
That's where he got hurt? :lol

Some people just have horrible injury luck. Luckily the Cowboys shouldn't need him against Cleveland. Hopefully he's feeling well enough to play against the Steelers.

At least Scandrick is back so that cushions the blow. Plus Anthony Brown has been a pleasant surprised so I think this bus keeps rolling along with or without Claiborne.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Not bashing Romo, not saying what's better or worse...just highlighting another Romo/Dak difference. There were 4-5 times where pocket was closing in on Dak and I think Romo goes fetal position or tries to Houdini. Dak stands in there and delivers.
There was one play in particular where Dak stepped up and came through through a swarm. I thought he was going to get crushed but he obviously knew better.

I do think through that Romo torches a few of those blitzes that clearly confused Dak.

Last night was mostly bad for Dak, but it was a great learning experience for both him and the team.

Short of an injury I think Romo scores 21 in the first half, and neutralizes the blitz. I can't recall the last time we had an endzone pick. Playoffs and Atari Bigby off TO's chest, both in 2007?

It's clear now that Dak needs to throw at least some plays to Beasley, and I'm totally fine with that. I don't think he should be the focus of the offense, but we can't completely ignore him either.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Dak needs to spend extra time working with Dez in practice because it's clear that he doesn't have a feel for how to throw him the ball, especially down in the red zone.

Every attempt he's made to get the ball to Dez in the red zone has been a poor effort that didn't give Dez much a chance to make a play.

Even the TD he did complete yesterday was a bit off. That ball needed to be up and toward the back shoulder to Dez, instead it was low and behind.....Dez just made a great catch.

Whether it's high, low, behind, too soft, etc., Dak has shown multiple times that he does not have a good feel for how to throw the ball to Dez. I'm sure it's something that can easily be corrected, but it's clear that it's something they need to work on together.
It's as if he's trying too hard to lob it for touch on those fades and jump balls; instead of just letting it rip. Overthinking things so to speak.

On a related note.....I thought Dez's return to the lineup played a significant role in the offense's struggles. We talked about that potentially disruption in the offense leading up to the game and it come to fruition right before our eyes.

There were times where Cole Beasely was absolutely open on hot routes and across the middle and Dak didn't look his way because he was too focused on getting the ball to Dez.

It's no coincidence that the offense finally started clicking against once Dak got back to spreading the ball around. Hopefully the coaches point this out this week.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I always love going back through this thread on Mondays after games that we win. All of the emotions and hyperbole is comedy gold. Guess that makes me an asshole but I can live with that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They're saying Claiborne may have a sports hernia and could be out for the year, while Church may only be out about a month with a broken forearm, an injury that kept Ware out for 5 games in Denver.

At this point I'd say Church may be the bigger injury with how well Brown has played, not to mention Carr and Scandrick who looked good last night. Missing Claiborne for the year would definitely suck though, but maybe it'd allow us to re-sign him for cheaper than it would've been.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We need a feed Zeke emoticon
I'm actually looking for a "feed me" thing. Not sure I will be able to find one. If anyone finds one I can convert it to whatever format needed and add it.

Cotton

Staff member
Winning games when you are off is part of being an NFL QB too. Bad game for Dak but he got it done when he had to.
It's amazing what this rookie is doing. We all knew he would eventually have an off game. But, to have it against a good team and still pull out the victory is amazing. I haven't worked my way through the rest of the thread and don't know if this has been posted yet, but Jerry already said Dak is the starter for the Browns.

Cotton

Staff member
Thanks for letting me on this board. What a way to start my first game with y'all. Youre a bunch of assholes and GO COWBOYS!!!!
:lol

Can't say I didn't warn you.

Cotton

Staff member
Holy shit. Kid is a beast. :towel

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I also don't want to hear this shit about the Eagles giving us the game with the fake punt, the Smallwood fumble, blah, blah, blah. The only reason they were in it in the first place was because our special teams were dicking around all night and the ridiculous Prescott INT.

Their offense didn't do shit, their first FG only happened because of an idiotic 12 man penalty on 4th down, their first TD came off Whitehead inexplicably fielding the punt at the 3 yard line and another one of their FG's came off a kick return that gave them the ball at our 45. The horrific Prescott interception was also a 6 point swing minimum, if not 10.

If we play a clean game we win by 10+ and the game turned out how it did because our offense finally started to click.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It's as if he's trying too hard to lob it for touch on those fades and jump balls; instead of just letting it rip. Overthinking things so to speak.

On a related note.....I thought Dez's return to the lineup played a significant role in the offense's struggles. We talked about that potentially disruption in the offense leading up to the game and it come to fruition right before our eyes.

There were times where Cole Beasely was absolutely open on hot routes and across the middle and Dak didn't look his way because he was too focused on getting the ball to Dez.

It's no coincidence that the offense finally started clicking against once Dak got back to spreading the ball around. Hopefully the coaches point this out this week.
Yea, there were definitely some instances of him trying to force the ball to Dez.

Although, I will say this -- Dez was very good last night and if Dak connects on at least half those passes where Dez had his man beat, he comes out of there with 150-plus yards and 2 TDs.

Dez was very very good last night.

Last edited:

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I also don't want to hear this shit about the Eagles giving us the game with the fake punt, the Smallwood fumble, blah, blah, blah. The only reason they were in it in the first place was because our special teams were dicking around all night and the ridiculous Prescott INT.

Their offense didn't do shit, their first FG only happened because of an idiotic 12 man penalty on 4th down, their first TD came off Whitehead inexplicably fielding the punt at the 3 yard line and another one of their FG's came off a kick return that gave them the ball at our 45. The horrific Prescott interception was also a 6 point swing minimum, if not 10.

If we play a clean game we win by 10+ and the game turned out how it did because our offense finally started to click.
Don't forget the horrid play calling when we were driving at the end of the half. All the fucking passing near the goal line with 1:30 left.

Cotton

Staff member
Just dawned on me, we have the best record in the NFC, and only a half game behind best in the NFL. :towel

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Don't forget the horrid play calling when we were driving at the end of the half. All the fucking passing near the goal line with 1:30 left.
I said this plenty of times last night and I've said it thousands of times on this board, but I just don't know why we do this so often and why the staff doesn't learn from it.

Why do we feel the need to go empty backfield and get pass happy when we're in a great position to run or at least keep the defense guessing as to what we're going to do?

All that does is serve as a disadvantage to us and yet we keep on doing it.

It just doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom