Sturm: Cowboys Draft Digest: Volume 3 – Defensive Tackles

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]Cowboys Draft Digest: Volume 3 – Defensive Tackles

[/h]

By Bob Sturm Feb 22, 2018

Each week during the buildup to the NFL Draft, we will take a look at 5-6 prospects at a given position. The hope is to cover every potential candidate at what we perceive as the Cowboys' positions of greatest need in Rounds 1-3, using about 200 snaps of the most recent college tape from each of the prospects. I am certainly not an NFL scout, but I have found over the years that much can be learned from giving each player a couple hours and really studying how he might fit at the next level. With a little luck, we will be plenty familiar with the options when the draft arrives in late April.

This week's batch of draft prospects will come from a group of defensive tackles that collectively form a deep pool of talent in this April's draft. As the Eagles have demonstrated with Fletcher Cox and the Rams with Aaron Donald, if you can get the right DT to build around, every single member of the defense has an easier assignment because of the attention that the star in the middle commands.

Much like so many positions in the NFL, we do not look for ordinary or even NFL-average players with picks in first few rounds. We look for traits and flashes that tell us this player can be “elite”. We can find average, ordinary, solid and dependable in the later rounds. They are there in that pile every single year. But, to get a defensive tackle that can be a “game wrecker”, you had better plan to take him early, because these freaks of nature don't last long.

Looking at the Cowboys' current DT depth chart, it is pretty clear that they don't have these spots nailed down. David Irving's future is certainly unclear, as we wrote plenty about last week, Maliek Collins looks promising but has been playing hurt, and there is debate about whether he is really a 1-technique or a 3-technique. From there we suffer a quick fall to the group of Lewis Neal, Brian Price, and Richard Ash. In other words, I think we should all feel wonderful if the Cowboys made DT a priority this year.

History, however, does not suggest we should get our hopes up. Going back 30 years, here is the entire list of Defensive Tackles the Cowboys have taken in Rounds 1 or 2 (thanks to pro-football-reference.com):

As you may know, Kelvin Pritchett was not actually a Cowboys selection, but a pick for Detroit as part of a draft-day trade for a 2nd (Dixon Edwards), a 3rd (James Richards), and a 4th (Tony Hill).

Regardless of how that worked out, this is the entire list.

1. Russell Maryland

The end.

I assume that shocks you as much as it shocks me. In fact, since 1998, the Cowboys have selected just two Defensive tackles in the top 170 picks of any draft! In 2001 they used pick #93 on Willie Blade from Mississippi State, and in 2016 pick #67 was spent on Maliek Collins from Nebraska. So, two third round picks and basically a bunch of 6th and 7th rounders. When the Cowboys traded up in 2012, I remember getting momentarily excited at the prospect that they would pick Fletcher Cox when they announced the deal with the Rams, but alas, it was Morris Claiborne (who they famously told us was the best DB on their board since Deion Sanders). In 2013, you may recall the story of Rod Marinelli campaigning against the idea of taking Sharrif Floyd from Florida. It was about the only time I can recall a defensive coach wanting the team to NOT pick a player who could help him. As it turns out, Travis Frederick was a much better idea than Floyd, who was slightly above average before suffering an injury that appears to be career-ending.

Clearly, they don't seem to prioritize the big men in the middle on draft day. Is this the year they decide to pick a DT? The buzz around the Cowboys suggests it very well could be. So, let's get to know the 5 on top of the list:
[h=3]Vita Vea — Washington — 6'5 — 340 – #50[/h] Positives: I could go on quite a while about Vea and his positive traits. He is wildly athletic and can do some very impressive things on the field as a true “dancing bear.” He is the best 1-technique in this draft. Men his size are primarily roadblocks but occasionally, someone comes along who is this size and still has the mobility of a man 50 pounds lighter. Those players, Vince Wilfork and Haloti Ngata, are huge forces in the middle that give the guard-center-guard group on any offense a nightmare. He is always on his feet and possesses a bullrush to overpower, takes on double teams like a brick wall, and can control anyone with his massive hands and strength. He is such an athlete, he even covers punts. That is not a misprint. He covers punts at 340 pounds.

Vea is able to use his unique combination of strength and lateral movement to mirror Saquon Barkley like a LB.

Concerns: Concerns would range from his age – 23 years old – to the fact that every single year we compare a big DT to Haloti Ngata and it seldom happens that way. Dontari Poe, Danny Shelton, and many others are up in this range and we think they might be the next game destroyer at this size, but it doesn't translate. 1-techniques are only worth a Top 100 pick if they are extraordinary. I think the fact that this guy so overpowered everyone in his path in the Pac 12 makes me think he can be a real star.

Overall: I am all in on Vea. He can do whatever you ask of him and is a very sharp individual. I watched him carefully because there are motor questions at times, but I did not see it and I really think he is a special player who is worth your first round pick. In fact, I like him so much that I am rather doubtful that he makes it to the Cowboys. This one is an easy grade for me – First Round.

The way Vea disrespectfully tosses this Stanford center to the ground is comical – yet routine in his tape.
[h=3]Maurice Hurst — Michigan — 6'2 – 290 – #73[/h] Positives: Hurst is a consensus All-American disruptor inside who has put wonderful back-to-back seasons together under Jim Harbaugh at Michigan. He was the presence in the middle of that stingy defense. Hurst plays mostly the 3-technique which is the premium position inside and requires the ability to isolate and expose any guard in front of you with initial quickness and the strength to finish plays in the backfield. He gets low and has a good motor. There are games where he looks remarkably dominant and fully like a game-changer, similar to Mike Daniels. His initial pop is quite impressive.

Hurst lives in the backfield with good leverage and quickness and then closes down plays with a strong finish.

Concerns: I am concerned that he is on the ground a bit too much and doesn't always change direction well. This trait is key – when you do get in the backfield, finish the plays right in front of you. This is an area where he can improve. He doesn't lose very often, but there are games where he doesn't win enough to make you feel great about being a Top 20 value.

Overall: I do think that Hurst is a very impressive prospect and one that I will want to study a bit more as we get closer. While I like him quite a bit and would be thrilled to get him at a certain price, I feel a bit less convinced than most that he would be a “run to the podium” guy if he gets to #19. He does fit the bill as a player the type of which the Cowboys generally like, but I have some reservations about his consistency. That said, He would be a solid First-Second round player.

Hurst wrestles his way through the interior with a bullrush that is elite. His pass-rushing skills are quite impressive.
[h=3]Taven Bryan — Florida — 6'4 – 291 – #93[/h] Positives: Bryan is another one of these big 3-techniques with superior athletic traits in terms of the power off the snap, combined with really nice mobility and closing speed. He has a very strong motor and the type of chase that you love to see. He shows impressive explosion at the snap, with a get-off and hand moves that show he has an idea of what he is doing. Bryan showed good burst and kept fighting despite looking like he was part of a 2017 team that was lost at sea and getting beaten pretty badly. He would be constantly double-teamed and still battle hard, and his work was the focal point of many opponents. There is plenty to like.

When you can move with this violence at DT, you have the athletic traits to be picked highly.

Concerns: You certainly expect more production than 9 tackles for loss and 5 sacks in two seasons from a player of his skills. I would anticipate a player of his stature to register double-digit tackles for loss each year, so some consistency issues do pop up. Further, he is not going to be a dominant run-stopper. I don't think it is quite as significant a weakness as it has been made out this draft season, but I would never suggest he is going to be a stout run stopper at the next level. What you get from him will be best noticed in the pass rush or in wide plays where he can run.

Overall: This is a very impressive player and there are glimpses of what he can truly be. He is just 21 years old, so we have to remember that the younger players are still in the middle of development and. The projection of what good coaching could do by their 24th birthday is what truly matters. That said, he needs to be in the right situation and serve as a part of the solution, not the bell-cow that you build around. The traits are very promising, but I would be careful about the price. I would take him in the Second Round

Bryan again, with the strength of a DT combined with the chase of a DE, he is plenty athletic.
[h=3]Da'Ron Payne — Alabama — 6-2 – 308 – #94[/h] Positives: There are moments when this 20-year old looks like the next great thing. His final two games at Alabama were so superb that you might see him as a Top 5 pick if that were your only perspective. He is best at the 1-tech (or 0-tech) where he is giving the center everything he can handle, but you can move him around a little bit. He is extremely strong at the point of attack and will not get moved. He sheds and hits. He has thighs that make him a force. He destroys plays with solid leverage and a great push and doesn't seem to be bothered by double teams. He is a bull in a china shop and very aware of the play around him. He is a physical freak.

Payne's Interception was certainly a lucky break, but then his unique traits take over. The big man runs!

Concerns: So, with that glowing review up top, how do you play 35 games at Alabama and have 3 sacks and 5 tackles for loss? How does this guy, with this ability, have one tackle for loss in 2017? He finished 22nd on his own defense in TFL and that makes you really wonder what you are looking at For all of his positive traits and his flashes in big games, how does he not accomplish more? He can be really good, but will he be great?

Overall: My analysis of Payne is likely not going to agree with many, but I don't think I would endorse spending a 1st-round pick if you need instant impact. The wild card, of course, is that given all of his tools and ability: do you trust a team develop this guy into a monster in 24-36 months? He seems to have all the traits and a good motor. I just can't get past the lack of production on a defense that dominant and I wish I liked him more than I do. I reluctantly offer a Second Round grade.

Payne's best two games of his Alabama career were his last two. He was dominant against Georgia.
[h=3]Harrison Phillips — Stanford — 6-4 – 303 – #66[/h] Positives: Phillips was a very strong inside presence for the Stanford Cardinal the last 4 years and has spent the last two racking up very impressive production as a big NT who is definitely asked to do a lot in odd-fronts. This means that at Stanford, he was asked to hold his ground and 2-gap quite a bit. At the Senior Bowl, he said he can be even better in the even-fronts where he is allowed to go penetrate and make plays in the backfield. You will really like his “battle level” and his tank looks full as the game goes along. He controls the center and moves him where he wants him to be. He stays low and sheds and clearly has a wrestling background. He never seems to lose at the point of attack.

Phillips wins off the snap with his leverage and quickness to explode past his man and get home to the QB.

Concerns: The questions would revolve around how special he can be. Is he a low-ceiling player that you don't wish to overpay for, or a special and rare talent that you don't mind spending pick #50 on and allowing to dominate for years to come? He is very strong, but he also did have the dreaded ACL injury in 2015 and plays with a massive arm brace, too. He has been banged-up during his college career.

Overall: He is a player you can talk yourself into and while he doesn't win all the time, you look at his role and his production and believe that he might actually be better in a 4-3 moving forward and perhaps play both DT spots at times. He really likes to get after the passer with inside rush and is known for standing up on the run. I think it is important we don't overvalue an inside player like this until we see him test at the Combine, but I am pretty sold on him as a strong Second Round value.

Phillips has no trouble moving his man back and then getting free to make a play on the carrier.

Next week, it is time to start rolling through the defensive ends and edge prospects. There are some very nice players out there, too, and you can never have too many guys who can get to the QB.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Fuck it. Give me Christian Kirk and then Harrison Phillips. I'm happy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'll take Derwin James or Roquan Smith and Harrison Phillips.
The only one we are likely to have a shot at by staying at 19 is Phillips and that would be a reach there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have decided on the one DT I don't want Dallas to draft in the first.

Taven Bryan.

The guy is so damn inconsistent. Sometimes he looks great, but otherwise he gets stalemated a lot.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The only one we are likely to have a shot at by staying at 19 is Phillips and that would be a reach there.
I think he meant Phillips as our second pick.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I have decided on the one DT I don't want Dallas to draft in the first.

Taven Bryan.

The guy is so damn inconsistent. Sometimes he looks great, but otherwise he gets stalemated a lot.
That's pretty clear, don't really see why anyone would take Bryan over Hurst. If you want an upfield 3-T, take Hurst.

I still say I'd rather wait for a DT until the 2nd/3rd, but I wouldn't complain with Vea, Hurst or Payne.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Funny how the Cowboys’ decades of futility correlated fairly well with the time since dedicating resources to the defensive interior.

Those great 90’s had Tony Casillas (#2 pick overall), Russell Maryland (#1 overall), Chad Hennings (who would have been a high pick had it not been for his 5 years of military service), and Leon Lett (a freak of a talent who broke through and redefined how a tall quick man could play inside.

There was no deeper or more talented position group than that. The defense weakened in direct correlation to the thinning of this group.

Jimmy built it (with a little help from Landry) and the Joneses never got the importance and never replaced them.

Just fools with their quick twitch bullshit.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Funny how the Cowboys’ decades of futility correlated fairly well with the time since dedicating resources to the defensive interior.

Those great 90’s had Tony Casillas (#2 pick overall), Russell Maryland (#1 overall), Chad Hennings (who would have been a high pick had it not been for his 5 years of military service), and Leon Lett (a freak of a talent who broke through and redefined how a tall quick man could play inside.

There was no deeper or more talented position group than that. The defense weakened in direct correlation to the thinning of this group.

Jimmy built it (with a little help from Landry) and the Joneses never got the importance and never replaced them.

Just fools with their quick twitch bullshit.
Funny, Garrett had no issue gutting the oline and rebuilding with premium draft choices. The same methodology was not used on the
other side of the ball. We have no consistency of approach with regard to talent acquisition and drafting players. I think the differences
in the skill level of players across the offensive and defensive lines is a good example of that.

Top Bottom