The LB Class

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Absolutely no reason to entertain the thought of re-signing Hitchens.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I was holding out hope for Roquan, but it's finally sinking in that he ain't gonna make it to 19.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I was holding out hope for Roquan, but it's finally sinking in that he ain't gonna make it to 19.
Edmunds might not either. But the point still remains, there are options other than overpaying Hitchens.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Edmunds might not either. But the point still remains, there are options other than overpaying Hitchens.
Yeah it's too bad on Roquan though because he is such a perfect fit.

The funny thing is I watch some of the draft discussions on DallasCowboys.com and they are just convinced that this is the thinnest LBer class ever. You'd literally think if we don't get Edmunds or Smith that we are just screwed at LBer. But Bryan Broaddus is a total idiot. I'm surprised that guy was ever an NFL scout.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
JOSEY JEWELL
IOWA BIG TEN
Photo of JOSEY JEWELL

GRADE
?
6'1"
HEIGHT
235LBS.
WEIGHT

OVERVIEW
Jewell wasn't considered an elite recruit despite earning all-state honors (football and baseball) while growing up on a farm in Decorah, Iowa. The Hawkeyes ignored his average measurable to rip him away from Division III Luther College (located in Decorah). As a redshirt freshman, Jewell played in 11 games, starting the final four of the year (51 tackles, one for loss). He was the team's Most Valuable Player in the 2015 TaxSlayer.com Bowl with 14 tackles. Big Ten coaches and media voted him second-team all-conference in 2015, as he started every game at middle linebacker, leading Iowa with 126 tackles, 7.5 for loss. Jewell intercepted a pass in each of his last three games that year. In his junior year, Jewell was a finalist for the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker as well as the team's MVP and second-team All-Big Ten (team-high 124 tackles, six for loss, two sacks, nine pass break-ups), using his instincts and hustle to consistently find the ball in the run game and pass coverage. Jewell finished his career on a high note, being named first-team AP All-American and first-team All-Big Ten in his senior year (134 tackles, 13.5 for loss, 4.5 sacks, two interceptions, 11 pass break-ups, one forced fumble).

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Eyes work fast. Initial play diagnose and trigger to the ball is immediate. Film junkie who recognizes blocking schemes and adjusts accordingly. Always flowing downhill looking to make plays near line of scrimmage. Quick recovery against play-action and misdirection. Plays ahead of work-up blocks. Flashes a strong burst to the ball and can close out runners if he's in the area. Pac-man tackler who owns a board full of high scores. Discipline, technique, and patience help him avoid missed and broken tackles. Launches compact build through target points and imposes force on ball-carrier. Well-schooled with hands in taking on blocks. Keeps pads square and leverages his gaps. Perceptive with a nose for screens. Reads quarterback and squeezes routes from zone. Has 24 passes defensed over the last three years.
WEAKNESSES Doesn't have long limbs and loose frame. Lateral agility, change of direction and overall reactive athleticism is just average. Has some straight line speed but his short area foot quickness in mirroring play is nothing special. Gets lost behind defensive line when finding the football at times. Ducks head into initial take-on blocks. Can get engulfed by size and stuck on blocks. Will need to improve slipping blocks rather than taking them all on. Tight hips prevent fluid transitions in man coverage. Struggles to get early depth in his drops. Effort blitzer, but unlikely to win in that area on talent alone.
DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 3-4

SOURCES TELL US "I like him a lot. I think he will run faster than people think for sure. Give me a guy with his mindset and instincts and I can sell him to a coaching staff even if he's not as big as they are looking for. His tape will win them over." - AFC Director of Scouting

NFL COMPARISON Sean Lee
BOTTOM LINE On the borderline from a size standpoint, Jewell will have his detractors who may worry about whether he's big enough or fast enough to become a starter in the NFL. What I see on tape is a highly instinctive linebacker who combines physicality with a relentless motor to find his way into play after play. Jewell's consistent play speed and consistency as a tackle finisher could make him a future starter as an inside linebacker perfectly suited to the WILL spot in a 3-4.

Posted this only because of the comparison. I'm just saying.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Vander Esch could go in the 1st, he is likely a 2nd round guy but to characterize him as "late day 2" shows this bumblefuck doesn't know what he's talking about. He probably read this Ledyard dude earlier today and posted this drivel shit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
DeLuca has better lateral movement IMO. That is where Jewell struggles.
Yeah I like DeLuca but I didn't see that. I think Jewell has better instincts as a pure LBer. DeLuca was used far more as a blitzer but I saw a lot of unblocked blitzing opportunities for him. Something guys like Jewell never saw. But don't get me wrong, I'd be all for drafting DeLuca as well. I think he'd be an excellent understudy for Lee.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
OVERVIEW
DeLuca was the only FCS player nominated for the 2016 Butkus Award, which goes to the top linebacker in college football. Unfortunately, he could not avoid the injury bug, suffering a separated shoulder before the season and playing through it for three games (26, two for loss, one interception) before aggravating it to the point of needing surgery. DeLuca earned that preseason honor with his play the previous year, earning first-team All-Missouri Valley Football Conference honors and being voted the runner-up MVFC Defensive Player of the Year (15 starts, 135 tackles, school record 59 solos, 10 for loss, three sacks, two interceptions, six pass break-ups, two forced fumbles). Bison coaches stuck him in the starting lineup late in his sophomore year, lining him up five times in 16 games (67 tackles, 2.5 for loss, three interceptions). Not surprisingly, he led NDSU with 15 special teams tackles as a true freshman and finished with 27 total stops on the year.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Loves football and is willing to do whatever his team needs to succeed. Has won at a high level in both high school and college. Instinctive with an almost instant diagnosis of the play. Flows hard to the football without compromising his run fit. Has a feel for when to shoot downhill into gaps. Plays with clear eyes and understands his responsibilities from play to play. Gets defense lined up. Quick to recognize play-action and sink into coverage. Reads quarterback and closes out passing lanes in zone coverage. Can play with pain. Was a special teams cover demon his first two seasons with 25 tackles.

WEAKNESSES Durability could be a lingering concern. Missed almost all of 2016 with a shoulder injury and missed the early games in 2017 with a torn meniscus. Had trouble with change of direction and lateral quickness this season. Not a quick-twitch athlete and lacks a pro burst in short spaces. Doesn't run fast even when healthy. Closing out tackles to the perimeter will be a challenge. Play strength and base to leverage gap and take on blockers is sub-standard. Below average man cover talent.
DRAFT PROJECTION Round 7/PFA

BOTTOM LINE DeLuca had a very strong 2015 campaign, but injuries in 2016 and 2017 have limited his production since then. DeLuca lacks the athletic ability and speed that teams will be looking for from linebacker, but his instincts and special teams ability could keep him alive in camp with a shot to make a roster as a backup inside linebacker who makes his living on cover teams.

I think they absolutely underrate DeLuca but this is probably my biggest concern with him.

D

Deuce

His lack of Shaquem Griffin is disturbing.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
His lack of Shaquem Griffin is disturbing.
He seems like a good kid, so I'm sure Dallas likes him and probably plans on taking him if he's still there in the 6th. They probably just don't want to show their hand too early.

D

Deuce

He seems like a good kid, so I'm sure Dallas likes him and probably plans on taking him if he's still there in the 6th. They probably just don't want to show their hand too early.
He got the Jason Witten stamp of approval last night.

Top Bottom