Latest on potential reinstatement of Randy Gregory in 2018

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Latest on potential reinstatement of Randy Gregory in 2018
There's progress being made, but the jury is still out on his status for the future.
Patrik Walker - 80 minutes ago 0

"What's going on with Randy Gregory?" - Dallas Cowboys fans

Good question.

The answer is unfortunately one layered in mystique as the talented pass rusher works to get his personal life in order first, followed by him presumably attempting to again hit the field in the future. Currently serving a one-year suspension for multiple violations of the NFL's substance abuse policy, the ban on Gregory ended January 6, and he was eligible to apply for reinstatement 60 days prior on November 6, 2017. It was initially reported by Charean Williams of Pro Football Talk that he planned to submit the paperwork this past Fall but as it stands, there has been no word on if he's done so.

His attorney, Daniel B. Moskowitz, is overall mum as it relates to the detailed ongoings of his client but is very clear on one fact:

Gregory wants to play football again.

“Given the sensitivity of this matter, confidentiality of the program and Randy’s privacy, I am unable to comment,” said Moskowitz. “However, I will confirm Randy has every intention of getting back on the football field.”

A second-round pick from the 2015 NFL Draft, Gregory has yet to live up to expectations on the field due to his issues off of it. He was suspended the first four games of the 2016 season for a violation during his rookie season. He was then suspended another 10 games for missing a test during the following offseason, with the subsequent punishment to be served upon completion of the previous one. That was then followed by yet another violation that came equipped with the aforementioned one-year ban, to which he will now seek reinstatement from...eventually.

Owner Jerry Jones wouldn't speculate in 2017 one way or another regarding the potential outcome of Gregory's future with the Cowboys, instead opting to focus on what matters most for the known sufferer of bipolar disorder.

“I wouldn’t get into what we’re going to do there, and what he’s going to do there,” he said, via 105.3FM The Fan. “But I do know that as we move forward with the league relative to how we handle a situation like Randy Gregory, his opportunity to play will get better and better. He’s, I think, the classic case of potentially what we ought to consider when we’re looking at some of our substance issues. I’m just going to hold it at that.

"I don’t want to speculate on whether he’ll be on the field for us here at that time or not.”

Jones is leading the charge alongside the NFLPA to have the NFL completely eliminate punishment for any player as it relates to the use of marijuana, but commissioner Roger Goodell -- speaking from 2017 NFL Draft weekend -- sounded far apart on Jones' stance, and went as far to label weed "addictive" and "harmful". As for Gregory, it appears he's finally on the right path, even going as far as reportedly holding down a job to keep the train on the proper set of tracks. As a recent report by Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports points out, citing a source claiming the 24-year-old might need "additional time" before being reinstated.

This lends to the belief that if Gregory hasn't yet applied, it could be due to him making sure he's finally on concrete-stable footing with his condition before he seeks to inject the stress of a professional football career back into his life.

Should that be the case, bravo for him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
commissioner Roger Goodell -- speaking from 2017 NFL Draft weekend -- sounded far apart on Jones' stance, and went as far to label weed "addictive" and "harmful". As for Gregory, it appears he's finally on the right path, even going as far as reportedly holding down a job to keep the train on the proper set of tracks. As a recent report by Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports points out, citing a source claiming the 24-year-old might need "additional time" before being reinstated.
How can Goodell be so ridiculously liberal when it comes to things like kneeling during a football game but then fly so hard core conservative when it comes to something like weed. It's just silly.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
How can Goodell be so ridiculously liberal when it comes to things like kneeling during a football game but then fly so hard core conservative when it comes to something like weed. It's just silly.
I don't think it is just him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it is just him.
No but he is the one standing behind the statement that weed is addictive and harmful and that's why Gregory shouldn't be allowed to play football. It's like we are back in the 1930's with the "reefer madness" bullshit again. Which I might expect from some crazy conservative. But it's the last thing I'd expect from ultra liberal Goodell.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Goodell is not an ultra liberal. He is a registered Republican and his wife worked for Fox news. If I'm not mistaken his father was a Republican senator.

Genghis Khan

Interesting tidbit about Roger Goodell's father (Charles Goodells), according to Wikipedia,

"He was elected to four terms in Congress after winning his first race in 1960. He resigned on September 9, 1968, to accept an appointment by Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller to fill the vacancy caused by the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy. "

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Goodell is not an ultra liberal. He is a registered Republican and his wife worked for Fox news. If I'm not mistaken his father was a Republican senator.
Really, I guess the stands he has taken on women's rights and the right to kneel during the National anthem had me thinking otherwise. Seems like every issue besides weed he seems to come out on the Liberal side of things.

Genghis Khan

Roger's father in-law is Sam Skinner, former Secretary of Transportation and White House Chief of Staff under President George H.W. Bush.

Genghis Khan

Really, I guess the stands he has taken on women's rights and the right to kneel during the National anthem had me thinking otherwise. Seems like every issue besides weed he seems to come out on the Liberal side of things.
I think he's about PR more than anything. I'd guess those aren't causes he genuinely believes in.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Goodell is either out of touch or FOS or both.

Pot's been a thing since the beginning of football.

It can help people manage pain, but it's not performance-enhancing, which is what the NFL needs to focus on.

I mean, do they test for meth or heroin or ecstasy? The list of designer drugs that are illegal in at least one state is probably well beyond the NFL's ability to test for (read: police).

So leave them to the fricking police and focus your efforts on HGH, steroids, and the like.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
No but he is the one standing behind the statement that weed is addictive and harmful and that's why Gregory shouldn't be allowed to play football. It's like we are back in the 1930's with the "reefer madness" bullshit again. Which I might expect from some crazy conservative. But it's the last thing I'd expect from ultra liberal Goodell.
I'm seated firmly in that crazy conservative category and even I think it's ridiculous for the league (and government for that matter) to keep treating weed like it's some great menace. How is it any worse than alcohol which is not only allowed but a giant financial supporter of the league despite thousands of drunk driving deaths every year?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm seated firmly in that crazy conservative category and even I think it's ridiculous for the league (and government for that matter) to keep treating weed like it's some great menace. How is it any worse than alcohol which is not only allowed but a giant financial supporter of the league despite thousands of drunk driving deaths every year?
Boom. No ground to stand on, there, really. None at all.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I think it's a generational thing. Few, if any, people under 50 give a shit about MJ and generally support legalization. You just have a lot of fucking ignorant baby boomers. Can't wait for that generation to die off (save my mom of course, dad already bit it).

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/01/05/americans-support-marijuana-legalization/ft_18-01-05_marijuana_line_update/

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think it's a generational thing. Few, if any, people under 50 give a shit about MJ and generally support legalization. You just have a lot of fucking ignorant baby boomers. Can't wait for that generation to die off (save my mom of course, dad already bit it).

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/01/05/americans-support-marijuana-legalization/ft_18-01-05_marijuana_line_update/
Our generation didn’t do so bad. We handed you a great country but it seems to be going to hell.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I know there's some potential in this knucklehead but to be honest, I basically forgot he was on the team. I don't think he's even played a full season's worth of games combined since being drafted. I agree 100% with Bluestar71 on the matter, not that I've smoked the stuff in the last twenty something years.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I know there's some potential in this knucklehead but to be honest, I basically forgot he was on the team. I don't think he's even played a full season's worth of games combined since being drafted. I agree 100% with Bluestar71 on the matter, not that I've smoked the stuff in the last twenty something years.
He has made his choice a long time ago and that’s why he is in a constant state of suspension. Nothing will change.

Top Bottom