Staubach sees great things for 2013 Cowboys, Romo, Garrett

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Roger Staubach sees great things for 2013 Cowboys, Romo, Garrett

Hall of Fame QB touts ability of QB, coach of potential Super Bowl team

By David Steele Sporting News

If the endorsement of Roger Staubach means anything, then the Dallas Cowboys have a lot to look forward to, and Jason Garrett and Tony Romo have big years ahead.

Staubach, the Hall of Fame quarterback who led the Cowboys to two of their five Super Bowl wins, told a Dallas radio station on Saturday that he was "a big fan" of embattled Cowboys coach Garrett, that he was "a Tony Romo fan" and that the team is among "probably 10 or 12 teams this year that have a shot at it.''

"Dallas has got the talent to be competitive with the league, as far as there's no real dominant teams,'' Staubach told 105.3 The Fan at a charity softball game with the Cowboys' Brandon Carr as host. "We have hope this year to get to the playoffs, and once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen.''

Staubach, 71, has been sharing his opinion about the upcoming NFL season in recent weeks. All of it has been optimistic, in the face of troubling news like the Cowboys' clumsy handoff of play-calling duties to offensive coordinator Bill Callahan and the continued questions about Romo as the franchise quarterback.

"I'm on the side of the head coach not calling plays,'' Staubach said, repeating the position he took soon after owner Jerry Jones took the responsibility out of Garrett's hands two weeks ago. "If you call plays, that means you're studying the films all week, spending time — you've go to be in touch with the other team's film and watching their defense, and you got to really work on it. Therefore you don't have a handle on the rest of the team.

"So I'm a believer in having a coordinator, whoever — in our case, it'll be Callahan — calling the plays. I think it's a good move, and I'm a big fan of Jason Garrett, and I think it will give Jason a chance to do other things and see what's going on, make decision he hasn't had a chance to make, that he has a feel for everything that's going on and not just the play-calling.''

As for Romo, a quarterback now saddled with the responsibility of a $108 million extension and with rehab from May back surgery, Staubach said: "I'm a Tony Romo fan … I think Tony Romo is a championship-type quarterback. He can take a team to a championship. He can't do it by himself, but I really believe that he can do it. I just see what he does on the field, the plays he makes, the kind of throws he can make, the sense that he has to move in the pocket.

"So I'm pulling really hard for Tony, because I really believe he is one heck of a quarterback, and that's a feeling from somebody that I didn't say that about all the other quarterbacks except for Troy Aikman … I think Tony, he's the right quarterback, and we're lucky to have Tony Romo."

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Roger must REALLY like those box seat ol Jer has given him each season.

:unsure

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Roger is the eternal optimist. How many concussions did he have? Ten?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Roger is the eternal optimist. How many concussions did he have? Ten?
Apparently way too many.

Or he's Jerrys illegitimate brother.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas can beat any one of those "10 to 12" teams with a shot, but they are not one of those teams because their OL and defense are too inconsistent.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Staubach: Romo is a championship quarterback

MIKE FISHER |

Published: Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 10:23am

DALLAS – The omnipresent thing about the iconic Roger Staubach's discussions about the Dallas Cowboys is that they are still "his Cowboys.'' That while he is decades removed from being on the field, he still refers to players one-third his age as "we.'' That he's supportive … but not blindly so.

"I'm a Tony Romo fan,'' Staubach said during a recent appearance on Dallas radio station 105.3 The Fan. "I'm pulling really hard for Tony because I really believe he is one heck of a quarterback, and that's a feeling from somebody that I didn't say that about any other quarterbacks except for Troy Aikman. I think Tony is the right quarterback, and we're lucky to have Tony Romo. … I think Tony Romo is a championship quarterback.''

Staubach holds an opinion of this year's Cowboys – and of most years' Cowboys – that I often share in this space: This NFL is an 8-8 league. Romo needs to be better than an 8-8 quarterback and Jason Garrett needs to be better than an 8-8 coach and the half-a-hundred people around them need to do the same, but …

"There are 10-to-12 teams this year that have a shot at it, and Dallas will have a shot at it,'' Staubach said. "When you're 8-8, you can be 10-6. The Giants a few years ago were 7-7 and ended up 9-7 and got to the Super Bowl. Last year, Baltimore was kind of hurting at the end of the year. … Dallas has got the talent to be competitive with the league. We have hope that we can get to the playoffs and once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen."

There's that "we'' again, an attitude that helped Staubach bridge the gap between the old guard and new owner Jerry Jones 24 years ago, an attitude that creates a bridge to today's game – a game the Hall-of-Famer believes is complex enough to relieve the head coach of playcalling duties, as is now the case with Garrett.

"I'm on the side of the head coach not calling plays,'' Staubach said. "If you call plays, that means you're studying film all the time. You've got to be in touch with the other team's film and watching their defense. You've got to really work at it. Therefore, you don't have a handle on the rest of the team, not that you have to micromanage the rest of the team, but you have to have an overall feeling like the CEO of the company. You got to have the right feeling and make the decisions when you have to, but you're in tune with all aspects of the team. … I'm a fan of Jason Garrett, and it'll give Jason a chance to do other things and see what's going on and make decisions that maybe he hasn't made in the past and have a feel of what's going on and not just the offensive playcalling."

Staubach obviously has a feel for what's going on, too. As a legend. And as a fan.

"We were in the hunt last year at 8-8,'' he said. "We weren't 2-14 or something. So as a Cowboys fan I do get excited, and I truly believe we could be in the playoffs this year."

p1_

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't tout it as a feather, but this is different from the Henson support. And after watching Flacco, I have to believe Romo could replicate a similar performance given a modicum of time and protection. And maturity won't hurt either.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
It's sad to watch old people as their minds slowly slip away.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
He's always been a rah-rah guy, I can't remember him saying anything negative, especially about the cowboys.

Top Bottom