Sturm: Cowboys draft digest: Volume 2 – more wide receivers

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]Cowboys draft digest: Volume 2 – more wide receivers

[/h]

By Bob Sturm 13 hours ago

Each week during the buildup to the NFL Draft, we will take a look at around 5-6 prospects at a given position. The hope is to cover all potential candidates at what we perceive as the Cowboys' positions of greatest need in Rounds 1-3, using about 200 snaps of the most recent college tape from each of the prospects. I am certainly not an NFL scout, but I have found over the years that much can be learned from giving each player a couple hours and really studying how he might fit at the next level. With a little luck, we will be plenty familiar with the options when the draft arrives in late April.

Time for Volume 2. This week, let's look at 5 more wide receivers. If you read Volume 1, you know that those were the more high-profile pass-catching threats. You will also know I am obviously placing this group high on my mental list of where the Cowboys look early in the first few days of the draft (Rounds 1-3). My colleagues here go way deeper than I do on their draft analysis – my purpose is to fully prepare us for picks #19 and #50. If we know all of the players on the board and all of the options available for those first few picks, then I feel good about what we have accomplished.

Now, one item of interest to put on the front of your draft-brain. If I think the Cowboys should strongly consider a WR at either #19 or #50 with one of their first two picks, it is worth noting something from recent Cowboys history. Other than Dez Bryant, the Cowboys have not used a “Top 50” draft pick on a wide receiver since Jimmy Johnson was in office. Seriously.

Thanks to ProFootballReference's excellent draft finder, you can see for yourself where the Cowboys like to use their resources. It is worth reminding people that Jimmy Smith might be the most productive WR the Cowboys ever drafted. Yes, Michael Irvin is better, but imagine – both!

It is also very clear that taking wide receivers up high is not one of those “Jerry Jones runs the show” objectives since Jimmy left before the 1994 draft.

That said, for a number of rather obvious reasons, this team needs to take advantage of what is a very deep, impressive 2018 crop. You can't argue there is a Julio Jones/Megatron type in this draft. But you can pretty easily find a dozen receivers of real quality. Often, what that does is actually push them down until a few disappear and then the “run” begins. But, after examining this group, I am pretty convinced that there will be a very nice talent available at #50.
Let's look at 5 more this week:
[h=3]Michael Gallup — Colorado State — 6-1 — 200[/h] Positives: If you seek a reasonably-sized receiver who thinks he is way bigger and plays in a physical style where he wants to dominate his opponent one-on-one, Gallup is your flavor of ice cream. He has some real “Dez Bryant” tendencies – he would love to fight for every 50/50 ball in the air, go get it, seek contact and then respond without a shred of meekness to his game. He flies across the middle of the field without any hesitation or fear and wins in the red zone with great regularity. He runs really nice intermediate and deeper routes. Gallup has exceptional hand strength. He'll also be 21 until March.

Gallup certainly seeks contact and loves a chance to break a tackle and get down the sideline.

Concerns: He certainly isn't tiny, but when you go across the middle in the NFL, you find yourself in the path of some of the most absurd 240-260 lb athletes on the planet. When they hit you, it can change your career. So, while I really enjoy his demeanor and reckless abandon right now, I have seen Dez Bryant – who is bigger by probably 20 pounds, wear down to injuries because of his style. Gallup is 200. Beyond that, can he uncover enough in short spaces?

Overall: I am a very big fan of Gallup and think he's a high-quality receiver. His overall skill set gives many reasons to get fired up and while there are some decent questions to ask about his durability at the next level, he has some real “warrior” characteristics and will fearlessly compete until the final gun – regardless of the score. These are things I really am willing to take a chance on and generally translates from college to the NFL. I would be quite comfortable if he were to get to Dallas in the Second Round.

Gallup continuously is looking in tight spaces for seams to explode downfield and win tough yards.
[h=3]DJ Moore — Maryland — 5-11, 215[/h] Positives: When the Cowboys go shopping this offseason, they would be wise to find players who can make their QB's job easier. Players who can get open quickly and then make people miss underneath. But, as we see with their current group, they need to be downfield threats or the job of the defense gets too easy. This is why Maryland's DJ Moore has a lot of people fired up.
Moore looks like a very interesting combo receiver who is going to work between the numbers and the interior routes until – POW – he is exploding vertically and winning deep. Moore has a lot of people using the comparison of “Steve Smith” which generally causes eye-rolls from this author (I swear 500 guys have been compared to Steve Smith because they were short and tough), but I do see the attraction. He will battle hard and with a relentless fire. His suddenness and precision make him an appealing target, too. He returned kicks in 2016 and punts in 2017.

So much of today's game is quick release and throws. Moore seems ready for this on Sundays.

Concerns: Well, there are a few concerns. Because Maryland was an absolute mess at QB this year (you wouldn't believe how bad) there are some real questions about what his full route tree looks like. I also have some concerns about his ability to win against press coverage which is vital at the next level. He is much more of an underneath player than a vertical threat, so does he rise above some of the other candidates? Finally, he is very likely not even 5'11, so the odds for stardom certainly get tougher at his height.

Overall: This is one of those prospects that I think others like more than I do. I see the value and, again, he has a mentality I am always looking for at Wide Receiver. But I have a little less confidence he is “different enough” from what the team currently has. Don't get me wrong, I would definitely be happy to grab him if some of the others are gone. I do like a lot of this 20-year old's resume, but I will not put him in Round 1 like others. For me, I would put a grade on Moore of Round Two/Three (which is a possibly confusing way of saying Round 2.5).

Moore showed Texas that when the delivery is there, he can go vertical in a flash.
[h=3]Marcell Ateman — Oklahoma State — 6-4, 220[/h] Positives: You will hear one sort of thing around draft season about players like Ateman: “He makes the tough look easy. But he can also make the easy look tough.” Ateman on his best plays is ridiculous. He is another target, like James Washington from last week, who is part of the aerial circus in Stillwater. They made Saturdays quite enjoyable, but they are very different players. Ateman really does well with contested catches and has that “track guy” look about him when he galloping down the field. He's tall and lanky, and he can get his body in the way to protect and wall off his man from the catch-point. There is plenty to like here.

Ateman has both the speed and the size to give corners lots of trouble without safety help .

Concerns: He is very inconsistent at times and while he looks the part he doesn't always play to his size. He has smallish hands and at times has some body-catch issues that make you wonder about the issues at the next level in areas of high contact. He doesn't always look like a guy who is good at blocking downfield. He also seems to push-off a lot and would get flagged for pass interference.

Overall: If a team were willing to develop him and work on his technique, I can see him opening some eyes. Ateman will be 24 by September, so organizations may not have quite the patience with him as they would with someone who is 21. He can run comebacks for days and will also have an amazing highlight film available, but if you want steady and consistent, there may be more appealing options. That said, he would fall into the Round Three range.

Ateman can do some very nice things when he high-points the ball. Aerial duels are rarely a problem.
[h=3]Dante Pettis — Washington — 6-1, 195[/h] Positives: One of the most electric players in college football is the son of former major league centerfielder Gary Pettis. Pettis is the NCAA career punt return TD record-holder, as he has run 9 punts back to the house. That should tell you about his open-field elusiveness. Pettis looks like one of the very best in this class in the simple art of “getting open” with sharp routes and strong separation. He makes simple catches as well as big catches. On top of all of this, he has the desire to go dig out a safety on running plays and looks very impressive across the board.

This catch against Utah on a double-move is about as impressive as it gets from Pettis.

Concerns: I was expecting more productivity than 761 yards and 12.1 yards a catch. I certainly recognize there are days where the ball doesn't go your way, but with these tools and the games I watched, I would have thought this was an easy 1,000-yard receiver. Instead, there were games where he had almost no productivity whatsoever. If he gains consistency, I have no concerns whatsoever.

Overall: Dante Pettis is a highlight film. He takes games over in just a few seconds. He separates and makes spectacular catches. He has very impressive tape and I find him very difficult to defend. I have him in that Round Two/Three range and I probably need to bump him up higher because of those punt returns. He should be a very good pro.

Pettis has taken 9 punts back for touchdowns over his career. Pure electricity.
[h=3]Daesean Hamilton — Penn State — 6-1, 203[/h] Positives: To further demonstrate how good this entire draft class is, Hamilton is a guy who doesn't get mentioned nearly enough. He plays a lot out of the slot as well (it seems this whole class is made up of “Z” receiver rather than the “X” receiver that is generally the alpha dog and coverage nightmare). Hamilton also offers that separation component that you really like and the ability to uncover in space. He isn't the flashy type, but I do like what he brings to the table as a steady and reliable player who will go make some big, tough catches for you as he did most of last season.

Hamilton is a tough player in traffic, but can also leak out and get you yards downfield.

Concerns: Like Pettis, I am a little curious why his numbers have been underwhelming. Hamilton played four years at Penn State, but his most productive season seems to be the freshman campaign where he caught 82 balls. This year, it was 53 catches, but the yards per catch has grown to from 11 to 16.2. He has a lot to like, but my concerns would be based on his rather ordinary “juice” and occasional drops. He makes the most of what he has, though.

Overall: The best credit you can give Hamilton is that you notice him a lot when you are watching other players' draft film. He seems to show up in those big games and make plays that matter. I am not sure how well he will test and his traits will keep him down, but if you want to bet on a player in Round Two/Three as a guy who will outperform those who outrun him, I have no problem endorsing Hamilton there.

For Hamilton, while speed is not always going to rock your world, he will separate.

This concludes our look at the wide receivers. Here is where I have my ten ranked:

Next week, we will dive into the defensive line and start inside with 5 big defensive tackles.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a pretty favorable write up of Pettis. He is definitely my pet cat in the third round if he is still available.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jerry Jones has a hard time drafting 1st rounders who he feels won’t contribute immediately, like almost all WRs who aren’t top eight picks.

He can be comically short-sighted in this regard.

Dez was a rare case of an elite talent in a draft free-fall.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jerry Jones has a hard time drafting 1st rounders who he feels won’t contribute immediately, like almost all WRs who aren’t top eight picks.

He can be comically short-sighted in this regard.

Dez was a rare case of an elite talent in a draft free-fall.
JuJu and Cooper Cupp both disagree. Both had excellent rookie seasons and were not top 10 picks.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
JuJu and Cooper Cupp both disagree. Both had excellent rookie seasons and were not top 10 picks.
Thats 2 out of how many, though? I know it can be done but can it be done by us?

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
As competent a take as this is, you aren't seeing it from Jerry's perspective, and even their respective teams didn't take either in the 1st round (nor did either have 1000 yards receiving).

Jerry doesn't believe in drafting his #2WR in the 1st round. He really doesn't want to wait 1-2 years to know if his investment paid off.

He sees a rookie who in his head can't beat Terrance Williams to start game 1 and he bails for a CB or RB who probably will start. He doesn't see two years from now when the kid is tearing up the league. He doesn't want to.

The only position Jerry has historically drafted in the 1st that requires any real incubation is DE. And even then I'm betting in his head Jerry sees a year one starter.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
As competent a take as this is, you aren't seeing it from Jerry's perspective, and even their respective teams didn't take either in the 1st round (nor did either have 1000 yards receiving).

Jerry doesn't believe in drafting his #2WR in the 1st round. He really doesn't want to wait 1-2 years to know if his investment paid off.

He sees a rookie who in his head can't beat Terrance Williams to start game 1 and he bails for a CB or RB who probably will start. He doesn't see two years from now when the kid is tearing up the league. He doesn't want to.

The only position Jerry has historically drafted in the 1st that requires any real incubation is DE. And even then I'm betting in his head Jerry sees a year one starter.
I bet if Ridley is there, we take him. Past that, somewhere in 2-4 we'll grab one and possibly a TE as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats 2 out of how many, though? I know it can be done but can it be done by us?
Well that's just one draft. There are guys like that every year though. But the point remains, rookie WRs can produce.

I could see a guy like Ridley stepping in to that #2 role right away and producing extremely well. I know Brugler is absolutely in love with the idea of the Cowboys having hhim fill that role and what Ridley can do.

But like has been mentioned, you don't need to use a top pick on a WR to get immediate production either. I think Pettis is really the guy I want after the first round. Just an electric player. Capable of taking the 4 yard pass and making a big play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom