Cavanaugh: The Large Humans of Relevance: Cowboys Edition

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]The Large Humans of Relevance: Cowboys Edition

[/h]

By Jeff Cavanaugh 18 minutes ago

Positional value is an important thing to consider when you're deciding who to spend your draft picks and dollars on as an NFL team. Trying to rank an organization's most-important to least-important position can be a fascinating exercise. In the case of the Dallas Cowboys, you can easily surmise that they don't value the nose tackle position.

A quick note in case you aren't familiar: The Cowboys have two different defensive tackle spots. The '3-technique' lines up over an offensive guard. That's the spot where you'd like to place explosive/quick guys who can penetrate and be a disruptive force in the offensive backfield. The Cowboys do value that spot. It's why they drafted Maliek Collins, and paid Tyrone Crawford.

The other defensive tackle is the '1-technique,' or nose tackle. The space eater. The refrigerator. He lines up between the opposing center and the other guard and his job is to get in fights every snap with multiple large humans. This is the spot the Cowboys have historically tried to fill with very little money and marginal draft capital in recent history. That's why Nick Hayden, Cedric Thornton, and Stephen Paea have wound up filling that role recently. It's why you can look up the Cowboys' draft history and not see a nose tackle taken before the seventh round under this regime.

I'd like to introduce you to a couple of candidates worthy of changing that organizational philosophy: Vita Vea of the University of Washington and Da'Ron Payne from Alabama.

Vita Vea

Height: 6'04.1

Weight: 340

Estimated 40-yard dash Time: 5.34

Strengths

• Vita Vea is the strongest player I've ever scouted.
  • He's impossible to move, even with double teams. I'll type 'tough to move' for a lot of nose tackle prospects. Those words don't do Vea justice.
  • Brute strength allows him to discard offensive linemen at will. Many times multiple guys on a single play.
  • Agility. He's a much better mover than you'd expect from a guy who tips the scale near 350.
  • Has a great 'push-pull' move to snatch and discard guys.
  • Can disrupt plays by jamming up blocking schemes. Pulling guards will have to go around the logjams he creates.
  • Good balance to stay up against cut blocks.
  • He's a leverage master who has the flexibility to hold his ground and move people even from compromised positions. Can contort his body and still generate power.
  • Tracks the ball well. He's able to control blockers while tracking the runner.
  • Makes linebackers and other linemen's life easier because he requires a lot of attention.
  • Possesses a forklift move. Can lift and toss offensive lineman with one arm.

Weaknesses

• Production. Having fewer than 10 tackles behind the line of scrimmage in a season is why a lot of teams won't take a nose tackle high in the draft.
  • Polish. He has amazing natural gifts but can improve hand usage and pad level.
  • Awareness. He doesn't always see a double team coming. Physical gifts allow him to absorb and overcome it in college. NFL is a different story.

Conclusion:

If Vita Vea is somehow available at 19 (I doubt that he will be) the Cowboys should forget all of their 'we can find a nose tackle anywhere' thoughts and sprint to the podium to submit their pick. He has a first-round grade.

DaRon Payne

Height: 6'01.5

Weight: 308

Estimated 40-yard dash Time: 5.38

Before the playoffs, Payne was only credited with one sack and one tackle for loss on the season. Once again, don't let that fool you about the value of the player. Alabama linebackers get well-deserved love every season, but that success is partly a factor of worker bees up front occupying blocks, leaving them free to wreak havoc.

If you only watched the title game you'd probably consider taking Payne in the top ten in this draft. He was incredibly disruptive and a big reason Alabama are the national champs.

Strengths

• Stout at the point of attack. Lower-body strength to anchor and hold his spot.
  • Good hand usage to get himself free when it's time to make a tackle.
  • Flashes initial quickness to penetrate. Can occasionally help as a rusher.
  • Solid agility for a man of his size.
  • Strength to disengage from blockers when he wants to.
  • Flashes ability to snatch and toss offensive linemen.
  • Consistent awareness of where the ball is.
  • Awareness to get hands into passing lanes if he isn't going to get home.

Weaknesses

• Consistency. I used the word 'flash' multiple times because he doesn't dependably show the ability to penetrate. He doesn't consistently snatch and discard guys in a way that I know he's capable of. Part of that might be what he's asked to do at Alabama.
  • If he doesn't win early his surge stalls. Sometimes does too much dancing when he doesn't immediately get pressure.
  • Doesn't offer a lot as a backside defender chasing plays.
  • The title game performance was an aberration compared to the tape he put together all year.
  • Inconsistency as a rusher might mean he's not on the field on third downs.

Conclusion:

It's reasonable to consider Payne around the area that the Cowboys are picking. I include him because he's my second-best nose tackle in this draft. I have a second-round grade on him. Whether either of them ends up a Cowboy or not, it's imperative we all let the team know the fat athlete is one of the most glorious things in all of sport, and we're in the market for a good one. I mean, who wouldn't want a nose tackle who can also do this?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
One CB coming right up. Quick Jerry Jones head nod.
I just fail to see how they could justify that.

Awuzie, Lewis, Brown as a reserve and possibly Byron Jones? Yeah, I don't think they will skip the position entirely, but there is no way you can tell me a CB in round one makes any sense.

Wait, so dumping Scandrick would make it necessary? I hope to God not.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
BTW, there are more fat guys we could consider beyond Vea and Payne. There are some decent middle round guys too. No excuse not to draft a true 1-T.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
BTW, there are more fat guys we could consider beyond Vea and Payne. There are some decent middle round guys too. No excuse not to draft a true 1-T.
Yeah this is actually a very strong NT class. Plenty of guys we could look at after the first round.

Cotton

Staff member
You watch us draft 3 WRs, 2 safeties and a OG.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You watch us draft 3 WRs, 2 safeties and a OG.
Well other than it would be overkill at those positions I'd have no problem if the Cowboys first few picks consisted of a WR, G and S. Our offense needs to get back to running the ball and play action passes. The best way to do that is with a guard and a WR. And frankly we need a safety. I love Darwin James if he somehow makes it to 19. I don't know the other safeties in this draft as well but I know Justin Reid intrigues me a lot. Probably will make my pet cat list.

Cotton

Staff member
Well other than it would be overkill at those positions I'd have no problem if the Cowboys first few picks consisted of a WR, G and S. Our offense needs to get back to running the ball and play action passes. The best way to do that is with a guard and a WR. And frankly we need a safety. I love Darwin James if he somehow makes it to 19. I don't know the other safeties in this draft as well but I know Justin Reid intrigues me a lot. Probably will make my pet cat list.
The point, I think you may have missed it.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, you were trying to make a point about us passing on all the one techniques again. It was a lame ass point.
Yeah, because we have drafted so many 1Ts over the past 20 years.

Cotton

Staff member
No, but I'm pretty sure we are all well aware of it. Something about beating a dead horse seems appropriate right now.
We beat dead horses daily on this board. It's kinda what we do.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We beat dead horses daily on this board. It's kinda what we do.
Yeah I'm surprised that you didn't say we'd draft 3 corners. That's usually a go to on this board.

Honestly I think corner is a strength on this team now. It's crazy to me when experts project a corner for us as a possibility. I see no way that's happening unless we do something absolutely retarded like move Chido to safety.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah I'm surprised that you didn't say we'd draft 3 corners. That's usually a go to on this board.

Honestly I think corner is a strength on this team now. It's crazy to me when experts project a corner for us as a possibility. I see no way that's happening unless we do something absolutely retarded like move Chido to safety.
I know it is said every year, but it especially applies this year... if we draft a CB in the 1st this year I am losing. my. shit.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We did draft 3 DBs last year. And we’re losing Scandrick.

Jerry always thinks we’re one player away, and “you can’t have enough corners.” They’re thinking of converting Jones back to corner. What if that transformation doesn’t take? What do they do about their perceived hole at CB?

They cost a fortune in FA, but are cheap in the bottom half of the first round and can usually play right away. That’s a win for this lazy front orifice.

The foresight to draft a building block player like Vea who might not make an immediate impact on opening day has always been tough for Jerral. Now that he’s 75?

Newman, Jenkins, Claiborne, Byron— and counting.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Largely tongue in cheek, but never be surprised when this team goes CB early.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I know it is said every year, but it especially applies this year... if we draft a CB in the 1st this year I am losing. my. shit.
Yep! I understand that a good corner is important in this league. But a wrecking ball like Vea is more important IMO.
If we get the chance to bring in Vea and pass on him I may kick Jerry's ass myself.

data

Forbes #1
Mike Jenkins, Terence Newman, Byron Jones and Mo Claiborne and 2nd Rounder (trade) all for CB

DLK150

DCC 4Life
It used to be a running gag that Dallas would pick either a CB or S in the first round.

1T should be a priority this year but not necessarily in the first round unless one of the "elite" guys falls to Dallas. It wouldn't be above the Joneses to go into wheeler dealer mode either though.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This team absolutely loves Awuzie and Lewis, throw in Brown who has been serviceable and the supposed Jones conversion to CB (and it's not like the front office will know whether or not it's successful in April) and there is no chance we go CB in the 1st unless Minkah Fitzpatrick somehow drops to 19.

Simmer down.

Top Bottom