Gantt: Charles Haley refers to Cowboys as “losers”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Charles Haley refers to Cowboys as “losers”

Darin Gantt
Feb 13, 2018 6:53 AM

Charles Haley has never been afraid to express himself.

And the Hall of Fame defensive end had some strong words for one of his former teams, referring to the Cowboys as “losers” and generally challenging them to live up to the franchise’s self-created hype.

During an appearance on 103.3 ESPN in Dallas, Haley was asked about the Cowboys’ regression to 9-7 and out of the playoffs last year. After mentioning the absence of Ezekiel Elliott for a chunk of the season, he got to what was clearly bugging him.

“I don’t think they understand what it takes to win a game,” Haley said, via the Dallas Morning News. “If you want to look back, if that was Coach [Jimmy] Johnson, we would’ve worked harder than we did last year just to repeat that part of it. I don’t see that maturity where guys are doing their own thing out there. When the coach says run 10, you run 15, or you grab your teammates and go run. They took 13-3 for granted and they thought, ‘OK, we’ll win the Super Bowl the next year.’

“I blame everybody. It’s one team and everybody’s together. And that’s the key. I go over there and I tell guys, ‘Man, Jerry built this house for a bunch of damn losers.’ And they get mad. They have to do something about it. I can’t do anything about it, I can’t play. All I can do is give you some knowledge.
“And then the egos are so big and they’re so busy getting on Twitter and Facebook and everything else – maybe they should get in that playbook. Maybe they should learn how to rush, catch and block.

“I tell those guys nobody’s scared of them. Ain’t nobody in the league scared of y’all. What y’all been doing is listening to people saying you’ve got the best offensive line in the business. I said who’s scared of y’all? Huh? Those little things like that, those intangibles, the attitude you take to the field [matters]. . . . I go over there and I watch guys work. I watch them go through drills. They go through three or four drills and they’re gassed.”

While there’s a bit of old guy “back in my day” ethos at work here, Haley has the ultimate credibility (Super Bowl rings and a gold jacket). The current crop of Cowboys can’t say the same. And even if they get mad at him, they also can’t say he’s necessarily wrong.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Dilly dilly.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Haley's right in a sense. The team -- and its coaches -- lacks mental and physical toughness.

Garrett and his players have lost every must-win game over the last five years.

I'm not sure how many NFL teams still carry reputations for being physical, but I recall not that long ago that any team playing the Ravens, win or lose, knew they'd been in a smash-mouth football game.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
100% correct.

Our record in elimination games (playoffs and/or regular season) the past two decades is abysmal.

That's a culture of losers.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
We're surprised that Garrett, a coach who high fives and chest bumps his players, doesn't run a tight ship?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We're surprised that Garrett, a coach who high fives and chest bumps his players, doesn't run a tight ship?
I don't think it's surprise as much as reiteration.

midswat

... soon
Haley doesn't see what's being built here.

Also, I view football differently than Haley, on account of that special needs kid I coached in T-ball.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
This team hasn't had any kind of killer instinct since Tuna's years and even then we had some stupid players. The players on this team are basically coddled, spoiled and lack any kind of edge overall. They know their jobs are safe unless they fvck up badly and sometimes not even then. A team with a no nonsense owner, GM and coach would not let as much shit slide as the current Dallas administration. The asthma field days are long gone.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Yep. It's impossible to imagine Red sitting a player of Malcolm Butler's caliber in any game, let alone the SB.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Someone else posited this theory on another thread somewhere, but I wonder if Jerry just doesn't care anymore?

He's stupendously rich, in the HOF, fans still pack his stadium, still has several prime-time or feature games week to week, his family is entrenched as the Clampetts of the franchise.

Garrett has two more years on his contract. If Jerry was as intense as he claims about winning he would have been more like the Tennessee owners, who dumped a coach whose record was not much different than Garrett's.

I read an article recently wherein the financial arrangements in the NFL really don't incentivize an owner to win. They all pretty much make about the same: 6 - 10, 7 - 9,
9 - 7, so what?

Maybe that's where Jerry is now.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Of course he doesn't care. Or at least it's so far down the priority list as to not matter -- way behind money and fame and control.

If he cared about winning he'd at least try to get a coach who was worth a damn.

midswat

... soon
It was me that suggested that [MENTION=553]deadrise[/MENTION]. Should be really easy to remember because I make a lot of really good posts.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I absolutely loved seeing this article yesterday. Haley gets in there and stirs the pot. Calls out the entire organization (even Jerry in a roundabout way).
Somebody had to say it out loud. Sure as hell wasn't gonna be anyone else associated with the team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I absolutely loved seeing this article yesterday. Haley gets in there and stirs the pot. Calls out the entire organization (even Jerry in a roundabout way).
Somebody had to say it out loud. Sure as hell wasn't gonna be anyone else associated with the team.
It might make me smile, but in the long run, Jerry Jones does not give a shit. He knows Haley and probably thinks he is just being crazy.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Someone else posited this theory on another thread somewhere, but I wonder if Jerry just doesn't care anymore?

He's stupendously rich, in the HOF, fans still pack his stadium, still has several prime-time or feature games week to week, his family is entrenched as the Clampetts of the franchise.

Garrett has two more years on his contract. If Jerry was as intense as he claims about winning he would have been more like the Tennessee owners, who dumped a coach whose record was not much different than Garrett's.

I read an article recently wherein the financial arrangements in the NFL really don't incentivize an owner to win. They all pretty much make about the same: 6 - 10, 7 - 9,
9 - 7, so what?

Maybe that's where Jerry is now.
Jerry is a business man who wants his enterprise to run as close to auto-pilot as possible.

A great HC candidate is going to have to pretty much fall in his lap for him to ever get rid of Garrett.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
It might make me smile, but in the long run, Jerry Jones does not give a shit. He knows Haley and probably thinks he is just being crazy.
True, but it's still good to see Charles go off. A moral victory for desperate fans like myself

p1_

DCC 4Life
Charles is coming from a mindset where he was on those championship teams. He has skins, and knows what it takes to win at the highest level. This team doesn't. These bitches have no clue about what that takes. They look around at Uncle Jerry's funhouse and think, 'Wow, we're badass, we've arrived."

Top Bottom