Cowboys candidates in free agency and the draft to improve the WR position

lostxn

DCC 4Life
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/2/8/16984062/cowboys-candidates-in-free-agency-and-the-draft-to-improve-the-wr-position

Taking a look at players the Cowboys can target at the wide receiver position in the draft or in free agency.
By Ryan Ratty Feb 8, 2018, 10:00am CST

The NFL offseason sleeps for no one. 16 games are played in the regular season to determine which teams get the right to play for the ultimate goal of hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. However, to get to that point, teams have to build their roster in the offseason.

Like any team, the Cowboys have their weaknesses. And despite all of the money they have committed to the wide receiver position, they still need improvement. This is the start of a series that outlines prospects in the draft and options in free agency that could help this Cowboys roster. Today’s focus will be the wide receiver position.

At age 29, Dez Bryant is at a crossroads in his career. While he has suffered numerous injuries and has had his fair share of wear-and-tear, the reality is that the Cowboys need to deploy an offense that is not as tailored to his strengths in comparison to years past.

The Cowboys are a run-first football team that lneeds to spread the ball around to their playmakers. Because of that and the type of quarterback Dak Prescott is, the Cowboys shouldn’t force-feed Dez Bryant.

On top of Bryant, the Cowboys have already locked up Terrance Williams to an extension and Cole Beasley is under contract for 2018. An argument could be made that all three didn’t have their best seasons in 2017, but that could also be due to the offensive line struggling with the departure of Ronald Leary in free agency, the injury to Tyron Smith, as well as the suspension to Ezekiel Elliott.

Passing production was down in 2017, but there were so many issues wrong with this offense that went far beyond the receiving group. Dallas could benefit from adding another receiver this offseason to not only give Prescott another target, but also add some competition in the receiver’s room.

Free Agency
Donte Moncrief
Let’s talk about the obvious here. With Derek Dooley going to the University of Missouri to be the team’s offensive coordinator, the Cowboys brought in former Colts receiver coach Sanjay Lal for the same position. There is a relationship there and with the uncertainty of Andrew Luck’s throwing shoulder, Moncrief would be wise to test the waters of free agency. A third-round pick in the 2014 draft, Moncrief didn’t exactly pan out in Indianapolis. But, he still has a lot of potential.

If he can be used correctly, the Cowboys can get a talented player hopefully at a reasonable price. He’s a 6-foot-2, 220 pounds receiver who also has the speed to play inside. If placed in the right scheme, Moncrief’s skills can useful. This is the type of move the the Cowboys should make in hopes of becoming a more ‘Dak-friendly’ offense.

Paul Richardson
It seems that there is a game or two every year where Richardson reminds us of how good he is. Out of the guys on the list, Richardson will probably be given the most money and as such might be out of the Cowboys range unless they decide to open up the pocketbook this offseason.

Richardson is a reliable option in an offense that is no stranger to throwing the ball deep. Richardson brought in 44 passes for just over 700 yards and six touchdowns.

At 6-feet, 185 pounds with the ability to play inside and outside, Richardson is an underrated name that will garner some attention as an mid-tier target in free agency. He runs well for a guy his size, has an NFL pedigree with his father playing in the league, and was just a second-round pick a few seasons ago. And remember, Dallas liked him prior to the draft.

Cody Latimer
Dallas values versatility, especially guys who can contribute on special teams. Latimer is one of the more underrated special teams players in football and he has the traits to still evolve into a nice rotational receiver.

Latimer played just two seasons at the college level. With the background of a basketball player, Latimer’s combination of size and speed is what encouraged the Denver Broncos to use a second-round pick on him.

At 6-foot-2, 225 pounds, he has a nice frame. His weight is distributed well and he runs extremely well for a guy his size. There will need to be a lot of molding with him, but if the Cowboys can work with him and round out his game, they could have themselves a jack-of-all-trades type of player to work with.

Draft
The Cowboys shouldn’t use too early of a draft pick on a receiver. With that being said, these three names are players the Cowboys could go after at some point on Day 2.

DaeSean Hamilton, Penn State

In a stacked Penn State offense with three elite playmakers (quarterback Trace McSorley, running back Saquon Barkley, tight end Mike Gesicki), Hamilton has been somewhat forgotten about. However, at 6-foot-1, 205 pounds, Hamilton has a frame that fits the ‘size requirement’ the Cowboys look for in their receivers.

He’s an excellent route-runner who can create separation from both the inside and outside. Hamilton is definitely a guy that can become a consistent contributor for an NFL offense. In Dallas, he could push for playing time and be used in a bundle of different formations in multiple positions.

D.J. Moore, Maryland

With his athleticism, his stock will likely rise with the combine coming up. And if that is the case, the Cowboys will likely need to move up in the second round to get him. Moore is an unbelievable athlete and while he is somewhat of a body-catcher, something that may pain Cowboys fans because of their history with Terrance Williams, Moore has the athletic ability to be a real nice player in the NFL.

Dallas should be in the market for a player who can take it the distance whenever the ball is in his hands. He was known at Maryland for his unbelievable work ethic and being a team leader. He was one of the best receivers in the Big Ten, despite a level of stagnation at the quarterback position for the entirety of his collegiate career.

Dallas needs another playmaker and Moore could be just that. Given his size and profile, Moore could replace the void Brice Butler will leave behind with him likely going elsewhere in free agency.

Allen Lazard, Iowa State

Over the course of a four-year career, Lazard caught nearly 250 passes for over 3,350 yards and 26 touchdowns. At 6-foot-5, 225 pounds, Lazard’s size gives him the ability to go up and make plays on the ball in the red-zone. With his frame, he can use his body to box out defenders to come down with the football.

Prescott is the type of quarterback that is more comfortable not taking risks. With Lazard, you have a receiver with a huge catch-radius and one that would take away attention from Bryant and Beasley in the redzone. Given how well-polished he is, Lazard is a player that will be able to adapt quickly to an NFL offense and make an impact right away.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
With as little cap room as we have and Garrett's tentative status, I am totally against spending any significant money in free agency. Clearly, we're not going to win anything in '18. Roll that money over.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
With as little cap room as we have and Garrett's tentative status, I am totally against spending any significant money in free agency. Clearly, we're not going to win anything in '18. Roll that money over.
Fuck that. No mail-in years. Every year we have to improve this team and give us our best chance. I don't want us to lose just to get rid of Garrett. Let Garrett rise or fall on his own ability (or lack thereof).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think anyone is talking significant money. And with Romo off the books we should have a little extra cap room to play with before we have to decide on giving Dak a long term deal or not. I'd rather put some talent around him and see what he can do before that time comes. I don't think we want to be sitting here with another season like this one wondering what we should do at QB.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Another season like this last one and I won't be wondering what we need to do at QB.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Donte Moncrief
Let’s talk about the obvious here. With Derek Dooley going to the University of Missouri to be the team’s offensive coordinator, the Cowboys brought in former Colts receiver coach Sanjay Lal for the same position. There is a relationship there and with the uncertainty of Andrew Luck’s throwing shoulder, Moncrief would be wise to test the waters of free agency. A third-round pick in the 2014 draft, Moncrief didn’t exactly pan out in Indianapolis. But, he still has a lot of potential.

If he can be used correctly, the Cowboys can get a talented player hopefully at a reasonable price. He’s a 6-foot-2, 220 pounds receiver who also has the speed to play inside. If placed in the right scheme, Moncrief’s skills can useful. This is the type of move the the Cowboys should make in hopes of becoming a more ‘Dak-friendly’ offense.
Anyone have an opinion on this guy? His measurables are excellent. 6'2" 4.4 speed. Quick enough to work out of the slot.

p1_

DCC 4Life
And another year of Witten and Dez Bryant as your top 2 targets and I think you'll see more of the same.
Im hoping Garrett's desperation will provide him with the balls to make those much needed changes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im hoping Garrett's desperation will provide him with the balls to make those much needed changes.
I think Dallas is seriously considering moving on from Dez. If not I think he is going to have to take a pay cut to stick around.

We don't have the balls for moving on from Witten though. And it makes me a little sick to think about. I'm even ok keeping Witten around as a #2 TE. I've always been a big fan of Witten. He is an all time Cowboy great in my mind. But shit I kind of wish he would hang the cleats up. I've never seen a guy catch so many passes only a yard or two short of the first down and every time fail to get the first down. It's not even that he is bad at YAC, he is embarrassing at this point. He just has no explosive ability. NFL teams are built around getting the ball in play makers hands with room to make a play and we keep trying that stuff with Witten and it's ugly. And yet no matter what we are going to continue trotting him out there and throwing him the second most balls in this offense at fucking 8.9 yards a catch. It's a serious handicap. There is no reason a guy his age should be playing 98% of the snaps. We don't even take him off the field in spread situations for fucks sake.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I think Dallas is seriously considering moving on from Dez. If not I think he is going to have to take a pay cut to stick around.

We don't have the balls for moving on from Witten though. And it makes me a little sick to think about. I'm even ok keeping Witten around as a #2 TE. I've always been a big fan of Witten. He is an all time Cowboy great in my mind. But shit I kind of wish he would hang the cleats up. I've never seen a guy catch so many passes only a yard or two short of the first down and every time fail to get the first down. It's not even that he is bad at YAC, he is embarrassing at this point. He just has no explosive ability. NFL teams are built around getting the ball in play makers hands with room to make a play and we keep trying that stuff with Witten and it's ugly. And yet no matter what we are going to continue trotting him out there and throwing him the second most balls in this offense at fucking 8.9 yards a catch. It's a serious handicap. There is no reason a guy his age should be playing 98% of the snaps. We don't even take him off the field in spread situations for fucks sake.
I can't believe Witten wants to keep coming back to this hopeless team year after year at his age. He must be as delusional as Jerry if he thinks a championship is possible.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can't believe Witten wants to keep coming back to this hopeless team year after year at his age. He must be as delusional as Jerry if he thinks a championship is possible.
I have come to the conclusion that Witten ain't all that smart.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I have come to the conclusion that Witten ain't all that smart.
:lol

I think you've came to this conclusion to pretty much every player the Cowboys have had in the last 20 years.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

I think you've came to this conclusion to pretty much every player the Cowboys have had in the last 20 years.
Perhaps.

And that might explain the championship drought.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I've read that this is a pretty deep WR class. IMO there's no need to draft a receiver in the first two rounds. Maybe pick up a solid guy in FA draft, draft a 3rd rounder, draft a LG, swing tackle in FA.
And if Dak can't make things happen after this, we know where the real problem is.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I've read that this is a pretty deep WR class. IMO there's no need to draft a receiver in the first two rounds. Maybe pick up a solid guy in FA draft, draft a 3rd rounder, draft a LG, swing tackle in FA.
And if Dak can't make things happen after this, we know where the real problem is.
We already know where the real problem is. No need to experiment any further.

Top Bottom