Cowboys Jaylon Smith 1-On-1: 'Dropfoot Fading & Power Improving'

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Cowboys Jaylon Smith 1-On-1: 'Dropfoot Fading & Power Improving'
Exclusive: Dallas Cowboys Linebacker Jaylon Smith Tells CowboysHQ.com, 'The Dropfoot Is Fading, I Have More Power And More Flexibility'
Mike Fisher - Feb 1, 7:06 AM 1

Jaylon Smith's story -- which I've often termed a "medical and spiritual miracle'' -- is taking a big left-footed step forward.

"I have more power and more flexibility now,'' Smith tells me. "And the dropfoot (issue) is fading. Absolutely!''

Smith, the Dallas Cowboys' 2016 second-round pick even after sustaining injuries to his anterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his left knee and overcoming damage to the peroneal nerve in his final game at Notre Dame, just completely a relatively successful and full season for Dallas. He played all 16 games and finished with 99 tackles (second only to Sean Lee) and one sack, three tackles for loss, four quarterback pressures, two pass deflections and two forced fumbles.

It was, by almost any measure, a "success'' for Smith to be an at-least "average'' NFL starter. But remember he did all that after a year away from the field, on a surgically repaired knee, while wearing a brace on his left foot and ankle to overcome the dropfoot that, a year before, prevented him from being able to lift up his own toes. He needed two hands to put on a sock: One to hold the sock, the other to guide his foot into it.

And now?

“I'm back!'' Smith says. "Blessings!''

As our colleague Bryan Broaddus has previously noted, it does seem that some of the testing is behind him, that the nerve is regenerating, that the repaired knee is stronger than ever and that more improvement is ahead of him. Smith's 6-2, 245-pound body is about as sculpted as is imaginable. His mind is sculpted, too, the result of his faith and his intellect and his personality and more. He suggests now that more improvement is inevitable, and that includes the medical improvement that is now, to him, simply "a matter of timing.''

There is also improvement from just having gotten those snaps -- not all of them exactly part of the initial plan. The injury to Anthony Hitchens forced Jaylon into the lineup from Week 1.

Said coach Jason Garrett: "He’s one of those guys who learns from those experiences. You see it in him. ... You have different experiences, some good and some not so good. If you approach it the right way and you learn from it, you’ll get better. He’s certainly done that.”

Smith may become an institution at middle linebacker next to Sean Lee. Or maybe he's better-suited at strong-side; some of that depends what happens with free agent middle linebacker Hitchens. said Smith. He is already "legendary'' in one sense, as Smith was voted by teammates as the Ed Block Courage Award winner, awarded to NFL players who have overcome injuries and adversity.

“It’s a great feeling to know I'm able to contribute at a high level for 'America’s Team,' Smith says, repeating his personal mantra. "With a clear-eyed view, there are great things to come.''

Hard to believe the nerve is still healing. But if so, I'd love to see him play without the brace. If he can do that, he might end up with the player we gave up a high 2nd for.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hard to believe the nerve is still healing. But if so, I'd love to see him play without the brace. If he can do that, he might end up with the player we gave up a high 2nd for.
His issues last season were as much mental as physical. He simply could not read what was happening in front of him.

It was not like he was diagnosing things and just physically couldn't get there.

Unless his drop brain is healing too, I don't see what the difference would be.

Fact of the matter is, he is a like a dog chasing hubcaps out there. Things have to be kept real simple for him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
His issues last season were as much mental as physical. He simply could not read what was happening in front of him.

It was not like he was diagnosing things and just physically couldn't get there.

Unless his drop brain is healing too, I don't see what the difference would be.

Fact of the matter is, he is a like a dog chasing hubcaps out there. Things have to be kept real simple for him.
He did MUCH better later in the year, so let's not act like he sucked out loud all year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He did MUCH better later in the year, so let's not act like he sucked out loud all year.
He was also kept off the field substantially and his assignments were not complex.

His best future might be as a designated rush LB were all he has to do is run upfield.

I don't believe he has the intellect to be a MLB in a 4-3.

Cotton

Staff member
He was also kept off the field substantially and his assignments were not complex.

His best future might be as a designated rush LB were all he has to do is run upfield.

He has barely gotten to play since he was drafted, and he did so on a gimp leg. I think we should probably hold off on calling him a complete bust just yet.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is largely true, and you'd expect him to be behind given how much emphasis he had to place just on being able to physically get onto the field.

Most young players don't have that very significant hurdle to overcome.

And he did improve later in the year when asked to do less.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Sean Lee played like 59% of the defensive snaps on the season. Jaylon Smith played like 55%. So let's not be so dramatic.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Myles Jack was pretty horrific as a rookie and could hardly stay on the field, then he turned into basically an All-Pro caliber player. Let's give Smith another 2 years and see where he's at.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Myles Jack was pretty horrific as a rookie and could hardly stay on the field, then he turned into basically an All-Pro caliber player. Let's give Smith another 2 years and see where he's at.
Yeah, this is true. The early returns on Jaylon Smith were not encouraging, but consider.... he was not whole physically, he was recovering from a horrific knee injury that often takes players two years to fully recover from, not one year. And secondly, he was a rookie. Yes, he ended the college football regular season as a player many thought of as the best defensive prospect in the draft (or second best with Ramsey and/or Jack), but he was injured before ever being subjected to testing, poking, prodding, offseason bowls, the combine, etc. Maybe this guy wasn't a top 5 player, maybe he was more like a top 15 player. Who knows how the process shakes out if he gets analyzed the same as a healthy player pre-draft?

Point being, plenty of even top-5 players are not instant superstars; and some are not even instant starters. That percentage jumps up if you are a top 15 or 20 pick. It also jumps up at the more complicated positions such as DL and LB and WR.... they are not among the positions that are generally thought of as "easy to start at as a rookie," like running back is.

So he could be a guy that even if healthy needed time and acclimation to the pro game before becoming a solid or Pro Bowl caliber player.

There's a lot to like. Not ready to write the guy off. Willing to tentatively pencil him in as a contributor, if not a starter, at the position. Just look at Myles Jack's jump from year one (was being called a bust) to year two (very solid year).

At the same time, given uncertainty about whether he will make that jump or not, combined with Lee's age and injury history, combined with how badly we clearly need at least one top level LB for this defense or it falls apart..... I think LB needs to be on our first round shopping list. Even if we get a guy like Roquan Smith or Traevan Edwards, and Lee stays healthy and Smith develops.... it's not like it's bad to have three Pro Bowl caliber LBs in a 4-3 defense. You can't pay them all, but Lee's deal ends before you have to pay the rookie and Smith, so we're ok.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, this is true. The early returns on Jaylon Smith were not encouraging, but consider.... he was not whole physically, he was recovering from a horrific knee injury that often takes players two years to fully recover from, not one year. And secondly, he was a rookie. Yes, he ended the college football regular season as a player many thought of as the best defensive prospect in the draft (or second best with Ramsey and/or Jack), but he was injured before ever being subjected to testing, poking, prodding, offseason bowls, the combine, etc. Maybe this guy wasn't a top 5 player, maybe he was more like a top 15 player. Who knows how the process shakes out if he gets analyzed the same as a healthy player pre-draft?

Point being, plenty of even top-5 players are not instant superstars; and some are not even instant starters. That percentage jumps up if you are a top 15 or 20 pick. It also jumps up at the more complicated positions such as DL and LB and WR.... they are not among the positions that are generally thought of as "easy to start at as a rookie," like running back is.

So he could be a guy that even if healthy needed time and acclimation to the pro game before becoming a solid or Pro Bowl caliber player.

There's a lot to like. Not ready to write the guy off. Willing to tentatively pencil him in as a contributor, if not a starter, at the position. Just look at Myles Jack's jump from year one (was being called a bust) to year two (very solid year).

At the same time, given uncertainty about whether he will make that jump or not, combined with Lee's age and injury history, combined with how badly we clearly need at least one top level LB for this defense or it falls apart..... I think LB needs to be on our first round shopping list. Even if we get a guy like Roquan Smith or Traevan Edwards, and Lee stays healthy and Smith develops.... it's not like it's bad to have three Pro Bowl caliber LBs in a 4-3 defense. You can't pay them all, but Lee's deal ends before you have to pay the rookie and Smith, so we're ok.
Agree with all of this. I would also throw out there that he might just have been a bit hesitant to stick his nose out because of the physical memory of how bad it hurt not only when he got hurt but the ridiculously long process of rehab. That alone would be a progress retardant all its own. Couple that with learning the game at NFL speed, and of course you are going to have a learning curve.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree with all of this. I would also throw out there that he might just have been a bit hesitant to stick his nose out because of the physical memory of how bad it hurt not only when he got hurt but the ridiculously long process of rehab. That alone would be a progress retardant all its own. Couple that with learning the game at NFL speed, and of course you are going to have a learning curve.
Yep and this explains why he looked really good the second half of the season and struggled the first half of the year. That and his conditioning probably wasn't up to par not being able to walk normal for like a year.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Speaking of curve, I think we should probably grade his season on a curve. He literally made huge strides this season, and should continue to improve. That makes me feel optimistic about his future.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of curve, I think we should probably grade his season on a curve. He literally made huge strides this season, and should continue to improve. That makes me feel optimistic about his future.
Yeah I feel like some are still grading him by what he did early on in the year with no help. But by the end of the season he was a different player. Which makes perfect sense considering the injury and the time off. But somehow in retrospect people forget that.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Yeah I feel like some are still grading him by what he did early on in the year with no help. But by the end of the season he was a different player. Which makes perfect sense considering the injury and the time off. But somehow in retrospect people forget that.
Jaylon definitely improved towards the end of the year from a physicality standpoint- he showed some really nice bursts to the ball, and showed some of the speed that made him exciting to watch as a college player. But Booze is right, the guy simply got washed out of plays too often, took bad angles, and simply made bad reads when he was on the field. Whether that was bad coaching, not enough film work, or simply a mental thing remains to be seen.

Doesn't make him a bust at all, but I do think he's got to get some better coaching, or get him in another LB position where he can use his athleticism and speed (hopefully it all returns) to make plays, or like others said see if he improves with another year under his belt.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jaylon definitely improved towards the end of the year from a physicality standpoint- he showed some really nice bursts to the ball, and showed some of the speed that made him exciting to watch as a college player. But Booze is right, the guy simply got washed out of plays too often, took bad angles, and simply made bad reads when he was on the field. Whether that was bad coaching, not enough film work, or simply a mental thing remains to be seen.bb

Doesn't make him a bust at all, but I do think he's got to get some better coaching, or get him in another LB position where he can use his athleticism and speed (hopefully it all returns) to make plays, or like others said see if he improves with another year under his belt.
Which begs the question. The Dallas organization has drafted or acquired some pretty good talent the past few years and surely Jones has to be wondering why they aren’t delivering the successes on the field. He is a pretty intelligent person when it comes to connecting the dots but the obvious answer isn’t being addressed. Is he just waiting on Garrett’s contract to expire or is he hoping (against hope) that Garrett will get it together?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which begs the question. The Dallas organization has drafted or acquired some pretty good talent the past few years and surely Jones has to be wondering why they aren’t delivering the successes on the field. He is a pretty intelligent person when it comes to connecting the dots but the obvious answer isn’t being addressed. Is he just waiting on Garrett’s contract to expire or is he hoping (against hope) that Garrett will get it together?
The defense started to really come together at the end of last year. I think that unit is actually really close. We have a lot of you talent on that side of the ball. Hitting on 3 secondary guys last year would be huge for this team. I like what I have seen so far.

My hope is that with some tweaks to the receivers and TE we can get the offense back on track.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We are missing a DT, LB, and Safety. I have hope for Woods but the pairing with Jones seems weak.

The first two areas of weakness are huge. Difference between a defense that can be relied upon and what we have.

Top Bottom