2017 Season | Super Bowl LII | Gameday Chatter | 2-4-2018

p1_

DCC 4Life
what an awesome play. Especially after Brady pulled a Dez and whiffed.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:lol
Pederson has just become one of my favorite people
Pederson is the definition of the arrogance that posters claim Garrett has. Reid was the same way, with the "smarter than everyone else" onsides kicks for a long time. He has thumbed his nose at convention in favor of the advanced stats that all rolled his way this year, but wait till it costs him a playoff game or playoff appearance and we'll see what people are saying about him. The worm tends to turn on guys like that from what I've seen. Doesn't mean he's not a good coach but he still has a lot to learn.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Pederson is the definition of the arrogance that posters claim Garrett has. Reid was the same way, with the "smarter than everyone else" onsides kicks for a long time. He has thumbed his nose at convention in favor of the advanced stats that all rolled his way this year, but wait till it costs him a playoff game or playoff appearance and we'll see what people are saying about him. The worm tends to turn on guys like that from what I've seen. Doesn't mean he's not a good coach but he still has a lot to learn.
He now has ring equity to trade on.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Which coaches would you pick over him right now?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There is a difference between the "arrogance" that he and Reid show versus Garrett's own special brand of arrogance.

Reid and Pederson have not been afraid to change and their arrogance in-game is just as much being aggressive.

Meanwhile, Garrett's arrogance is tied directly to the belief that his "process" works. His arrogance in an outdated offense. His arrogance when he rolls his own players under the bus and refuses to take any responsibility. Pederson and especially Reid are the direct opposite. They own their fuck ups.

If if what you say is true, at least Reid and Pederson have something to base their arrogance off of in the first place.

What does your boyfriend have? A worthless Coach of the Year trophy?

Maybe it is his sparkling win or go home record.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't think any of those indictments are actually arrogance. Pick a different word, call it a different kind of weakness. I don't really see it as arrogance though.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Garrett's arrogance is based on his Ivy League degree, the protection he's had from true media heat, and knowing he's Jerry's boy. It has nothing to do with anything factually based in coaching football.

And it's funny, that clip of Pederson and Foles on the trick play reminds me of that time early in Garrett's tenure when Romo was on the sideline begging him to make a certain call and Garrett completely and totally dismissed him like he was a stupid little kid that didn't know a thing about the game.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Garrett's arrogance is based on his Ivy League degree, the protection he's had from true media heat, and knowing he's Jerry's boy. It has nothing to do with anything factually based in coaching football.

And it's funny, that clip of Pederson and Foles on the trick play reminds me of that time early in Garrett's tenure when Romo was on the sideline begging him to make a certain call and Garrett completely and totally dismissed him like he was a stupid little kid that didn't know a thing about the game.
He was begging him to go for it on 4th down, IIRC.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I have no problem with a coach telling a player no. That's the coaches job. Players get caught up in the moment and it's the coaches job to keep them focused and on the right path.

With that being said I wish Garrett would would use his Ivy league degree to actually be innovative and make it appear like we actually are smarter than the other team. Instead that's really rare. I have no doubts that Garrett is a smart guy. But not all smart people are innovative and able to think independently from convention. This is my problem with Garrett. He just tries to do what everyone else is already doing. He is never at the front of anything.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
While I am well aware that these are all things you trash Garrett for, I fail to see how having attended an Ivy League school or "getting protection from the media," or "knowing he's Jerry's boy," make him arrogant. As a fan, knowing he's teflon cause he's Jerry's boy or feeling like the media protects him might be infuriating, but I don't see how he is conducting himself in a way that he is flaunting these things arrogantly.

And the Ivy League thing, I don't get that at all. The only people who talk about that are the posters who like to mock him for it. That's their arrogance, not his.

Arrogance would be like, unfounded confidence to the point where you act on it, and it backfires. Arrogance would be like, calling a trick play over and over again because you think they can't stop it, but they always do. Arrogance would be like, going for it on fourth and 8 in your own end because you think your schemes are so superior that they can't be stopped, but always turning it over on downs.

If anything I think Garrett's problem is that he's too conservative, not too arrogant or aggressive. People may say he's "arrogant" for not changing or adjusting his schemes, but I don't think that's arrogance, I think maybe it is actually lack of confidence in anything but what he knows is tried and (relatively) true. People also label his "trick plays" as getting "cute" or being arrogant, but again, I think he has lack of imagination, not too much imagination for his own good. His running those WRs sweeps isn't arrogant, it's like the most daring thing he can come up with and it's still pretty bland. I think his problem is actually a LACK of arrogance. Pederson, on the other hand, like Reid before him, and also Chip Kelly, were all tremendously arrogant. The Eagles in general, as an organization from Lurie on down, are tremendously arrogant and this year was the first time their bravado has ever paid off. But their defense always thinks they are the baddest mother fuckers on the planet and are tremendously arrogant, and they play that way even when they aren't any good.

This is where I get convinced that people just don't like Garrett the person and that influences their criticisms of him as a coach. They want to hurl these labels at him to denigrate him and they don't even make any sense IMO.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is where I get convinced that people just don't like Garrett the person and that influences their criticisms of him as a coach. They want to hurl these labels at him to denigrate him and they don't even make any sense IMO.
Arrogance is thinking that your coaching is great and that the players just aren't executing it. People get the arrogant vibe from Garrett because he never takes the blame for the failures of the team.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Arrogance is thinking that your coaching is great and that the players just aren't executing it. People get the arrogant vibe from Garrett because he never takes the blame for the failures of the team.
I take that as coach speak, not arrogance.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Arrogant, conservative, robotic, poor game manager, whatever.

He doesn't win enough. None of the rest matters.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Im sure Pederson watched Reid enough to know what keeps him from ever winning the big game. Reid might have a worse playoff record in KC than Garrett's.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Arrogant, conservative, robotic, poor game manager, whatever.

He doesn't win enough. None of the rest matters.
Yep. WGAS what label he’s tagged with right now? The only one I’m interested in is ‘Ex-Cowboys HC’.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That would make sense if no coaches ever took the blame for their own failings, but that simply isn't the case.

p1_

DCC 4Life
That would make sense if no coaches ever took the blame for their own failings, but that simply isn't the case.
Garrett never, ever calls himself into question. Thanks God for the local media not letting him off the hook.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coach speak to me is something all coaches just sort of say but don't necessarily mean. I think most coaches though tend to say the opposite. They usually fall on the knife for their players. But Garrett sort of does the opposite. That's why it comes off as arrogant.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Garrett never, ever calls himself into question. Thanks God for the local media not letting him off the hook.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I have no problem with a coach telling a player no. That's the coaches job. Players get caught up in the moment and it's the coaches job to keep them focused and on the right path.
Let me be clear, I don't either. Never would I expect a coach to always give in to the player.

In this case it was more the way he said it. The way I remember it, Garrett was looking down at his play sheet the entire time and just flatly said "NO." Tony tried to make his case again and Garrett still never looked at him, just kept his head down and repeated, "NO." It was like a parent dismissing a five year old kid or something.

And to schmitty... I'm talking more about a personal arrogance, not so much a football one. Huge shit-eating grins right after crushing losses? Dismissing questions about coaching and blaming players instead? Never showing the slightest concern about possibly losing his job? All signs of arrogance.

Top Bottom