2017 Season | Super Bowl LII | Gameday Chatter | 2-4-2018

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wrong.

Once the plane is broken, it doesn't matter what happens after that. Unless he's still establishing the catch. Which he clearly had already done, since he had taken three steps.
Wrong.

If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/completing-a-catch/

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Why'd they burn that last TO right before the 2 minute warning.

Cotton

Staff member
Unbelievable.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Wrong.

If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone.

Pay close attention to the bold part. He was no longer in the act of catching the pass. He had gained possession, and WAS NOW A RUNNER, when he broke the plane.

data

Forbes #1
Wrong.

NoDak (and the refs interpretation) is that Ertz was never going to the ground, but voluntarily chose to dive...therefore, your above rule never comes into play.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member
At least Brady loses, right?

Cotton

Staff member
Pay close attention to the bold part. He was no longer in the act of catching the pass. He had gained possession, and WAS NOW A RUNNER, when he broke the plane.
You really haven't been paying attention to how they have been enforcing that rule, have you? Either that, or you are ignoring it to try to make a point.

data

Forbes #1
Essentially, the difference between Dez, Jesse James and Ertz is that Ertz had balance.

The catch rule is 2 feet, football move and balance.

Cotton

Staff member
NoDak (and the refs interpretation) is that Ertz was never going to the ground, but voluntarily chose to dive...therefore, your above rule never comes into play.
You mean, like Dez was?

data

Forbes #1
:lol

What about the shoplifting that comes with it? Put everything behind a locked, glass case.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You really haven't been paying attention to how they have been enforcing that rule, have you? Either that, or you are ignoring it to try to make a point.
Yeah, I have. He was no longer a receiver trying to gain possession. He took three steps and became a runner.

If you want to continue arguing a point you're clearly wrong on, be my guest. No skin off my ass.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, I have. He was no longer a receiver trying to gain possession. He took three steps and became a runner.

If you want to continue arguing a point you're clearly wrong on, be my guest. No skin off my ass.
You mean, Like Dez was?

data

Forbes #1
Silver lining...if Eagles had to win a Super Bowl, at least they did it with the least douchey cast of characters they've fielded in the last 40 years.

At least it wasn't Andre Watters, McNabb/TO, Duce Staley, Freddie Mitchell, Seth Joyner, etc.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
That was not a smart ST call

data

Forbes #1
Amazing. Super Bowl MVP and Nick Foles won't be an Eagle next year.

Cotton

Staff member
Essentially, the difference between Dez, Jesse James and Ertz is that Ertz had balance.

The catch rule is 2 feet, football move and balance.
This rule is stupid, and it's stupid we are arguing about it, but Dez absolutely had balance and was "by rule" a runner.

Top Bottom