Mendez: Ben Bass wants to be confident, not cocky, going into training camp

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
After another good spring, Ben Bass wants to be confident, not cocky, going into training camp

Ben Bass figures he had about the same kind of spring as he did last year.

Which, in both cases, is pretty good.

“Last year, some guys got hurt, and so I went from fourth string to second string,” the second-year Cowboys defensive tackle said last week at minicamp. “And I got a chance to show what I can do – show that I can get up the field, run around and make some plays here and there.”

And this year?

“I felt like it was the same thing as last year. I just did it a little better,” he said.

He may be right. Bass was a standout on the defensive line in the shorts-and-helmets practices, taking advantage of a chance to get first-team snaps while Jay Ratliff and others sat out.

Last year, Bass opened eyes enough in the spring that he went from “tryout player” – another term for practice body – in the rookie mini-camp to an invitation to OTAs and then training camp, where he earned a practice-squad spot. He was active for two games in November before an ankle injury put him on injured reserve for the rest of the year.

But he said he’s got to remember to prove himself all over again. Although this spring was a good start.

“I try my best not to carry over one practice to another,” he said. “You don’t want to seem cocky. You just want to be confident out there. So I try to take one practice and leave it behind me.”

-- Carlos Mendez
----------

Wait...from that last comment he doesn't seem interested in the "process" of "stacking one good practice on top of another".

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I'm sure it's tough for an all-star like Ben Bass to remain humble considering his huge production, multiple pro bowls and what not.

Top Bottom