How Tony Romo Became the Cowboys Quarterback

Jiggyfly

Banned
What?

He was not a franchise QB who was ready to go from the start.

I don't even know why I even bother with you sometimes.
Nobody is saying he was a franchise guy from the start but who is sitting a guy that develops into what Romo did behind Testeverde and Frankenstein Bledsoe while rebuilding a team?

Romo sat for 4 years and Bledsoe had to completely shit the bed for the change.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Vinny was god awful. Not that I remember any great options sitting out there but I think people forget just how bad he was as a QB. That's the guy who would have been fine as a number 2 QB, but just straight bad as your starter.
Yeah after that year went south Romo should have been getting snaps.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Bill Parcells: "When you have a young quarterback from a smaller school, you're not gonna throw this guy to the wolves. That would've been a disastrous decision."
Eat me. /Carson Wentz, NDSU Bison

midswat

... soon
Sims and Wentz were bonafide first round talents. Romo needed a lot of seasoning. Specifically his mechanics.

Awesome read, thanks for taking the time to post it all Iamtdg.

Reminded me how much I used to like Romo. I'm still hoping he never takes another snap for us again though.

midswat

... soon
Tony Romo, Cowboys quarterback, 2003-present: "I did a very poor job at the combine. I wasn't a very good thrower of the football back then."
Sounds like something his best friend head coach would say. I can't wait until both are out of Dallas.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
After reading that article I'm more convinced than ever that Romo will be handed the starting QB job once he's healthy.

These head coaches are extremely loyal to the QBs who they've shared success with.

Romo's going to get the job back and he's going to have to put up a couple of stinkers for Dak to get the job back.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Romo's going to get the job back and he's going to have to put up a couple of stinkers for Dak to get the job back.
Or get hurt. Or retire. In any case Dak's not going anywhere and himself has a lot to learn.

It's a win-win with Romo back. If his accumulation of injuries affects his play or he's in obvious decline, he gets the Bledsoe treatment and Dak takes over.

More than likely though he makes the offense even better.

BTW, the article is an awesome read. Thanks for formatting, Iamtdg.

midswat

... soon
I get how it's cool to hate on Romo right now, but it's a heaping pile of bullshit.
Yeah well, that's like... your opinion, man.

I've been done with Romo longer than Dak has been here. Been a season or two for me now.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah well, that's like... your opinion, man.

I've been done with Romo longer than Dak has been here. Been a season or two for me now.
I can see your point of view, Middie.

Romo has been a tragic and frustrating player. You want to love him but at the same time, he's fucked up enough to hate.

And yes, he has fucked up. Being a perennial 8-8 team doesn't happen when the "franchise QB" is doing the right things. He has had a hand in a lot of that.

That is why I can't sit there and say he is great.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Romo has been a tragic and frustrating player. You want to love him but at the same time, he's fucked up enough to hate.

And yes, he has fucked up. Being a perennial 8-8 team doesn't happen when the "franchise QB" is doing everything right.
Except Romo is 78-49 in his career. It's a bit unfair to say he's perennially 8-8.

Of course Romo has fucked up. That end of season Washington loss for instance (2012?). But every QB fucks up. This team's problems over the years have been way more coaching and personnel related.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Except Romo is 78-49 in his career. It's a bit unfair to say he's perennially 8-8.

Of course Romo has fucked up. That end of season Washington loss for instance (2012?). But every QB fucks up. This team's problems over the years have been way more coaching and personnel related.
Danny White was 62-30. Same thing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Sean Payton: "We were playing a game in D.C., and it was freezing. It was rainy, wet, icy conditions -- about as cold as you could imagine without snow. Quincy was starting and it's early in the game, and Chad and Romo had whole ski masks on with just a little area for your eyes. We're getting ready to kick off, and Bill turns and looks, and he sees Chad. He says, 'I'll never put a quarterback in the game dressed like that.' As he's saying that to Chad, Tony's ripping his hat off his head, and the only evidence Tony was wearing one was the static cling that had his hair going straight up and down."

:lol

That's great.
I was at that game, the weather was completely ridiculous, right around freezing, not cold enough for snow but a pretty consistent rain/sleet/freezing rain mixture. We won like 20-0 or something though with Hasselbeck's brother throwing like 5 interceptions so that was nice.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Danny White's defenses were consistently elite. Romo's defenses have consistently been among the worst in franchise history.
good, not elite. started to decline after 1979 due to bad drafts. look at the points allowed in the Staubach NFC championship games vs. the White championship games. no comparison.

midswat

... soon

And yes, he has fucked up. Being a perennial 8-8 team doesn't happen when the "franchise QB" is doing the right things. He has had a hand in a lot of that.

That is why I can't sit there and say he is great.
I used to be a huge Romo fan. His was the last jersey I ever bought. But I soured on him these last few years.... not because of the big game gaffes. Because I'd always argue that Romo is/was the only thing that really kept us competitive. He's rarely had a 1k back. Rarely had a decent defense. If you ask your QB to carry your entire team all year, eventually he's gonna mess us. It was always just unfortunate that Tony did in on prime time for all the world to see.

Tony lost favor with me when he kept his man crush for Jason despite basically wasting his entire career with the loser. I know Jason is in the Jones family portrait, but I firmly believe had Tony at any point gone to his owner and expressed any semblance of frustration with playing for a OJT coach in way over his head, that a change likely would've been made. Instead, Tony has always been comfortable with Jason, and as a result he will retire a loser instead of a champion. He will be a Danny White instead of an Aikman.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
good, not elite. started to decline after 1979 due to bad drafts. look at the points allowed in the Staubach NFC championship games vs. the White championship games. no comparison.
Fair enough. But even so, Romo has had very few "good" defenses in his career. Especially between 2010-2013, when Romo was having his most mediocre seasons.

Top Bottom